gel battery what have you used ????

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by honkytonking, Feb 15, 2013.

1. honkytonking

honkytonking whoo baby that was a doosie

Oddometer:
    So i want to use a gel battery getting rid of the air box was looking to relocate it possibly under the tranny or in the old spot were the air box was. just want to see what would work..... lighter and smaller would be great any ideas ??
  2. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    stay away from gel batteries ... they have special charging requirements... don't charge over 14.2v-14.3v

go with a big honking LiFePO4 battery like Earth-X ETX 36 (3lb 11oz) or AGM.
    see my LiFePO4 testing thread for why ... link in sig

[​IMG]
  3. honkytonking

Oddometer:

Ok that's good info but I read a thread on here a long time ago about a gel battery being used now I'm new to battery's being I run a mag in my triumph battery less till now. I want yo mount this battery on its side so what are my options will what you recommended work ? Help a brother out here folks
  4. honkytonking

Oddometer:
    By the way the bike is a 78 r100/7
  5. carpetburn

carpetburn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a gel battery in my r75/6, had it over 2 years so far and its great, bought on ebay, model for r1150rt- fits perfect and when it dies i will replace again with the same
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have gel batteries on most my bikes and never had one gone bad. On my R80g/s I have this model ebay# 310518474204
  7. puncar thogoole

puncar thogoole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    78 R80/7, Odyssey PC680 A.G.M battery fitted July 2006. Ctek charger used now & again for maintenance, never had any problems whatsoever & still cranks the bike over same as when it was fitted (That's blown it :fpalm).
  8. motog

motog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for a small battery I'd suggest Lithium batteries. One of the regular posters (herrhelmet) on this forum sells one that I have bought and been very happy with. Website is here: http://shop.testsycl.com/SYCL-CHARGER-1AMP-BALANCE-CHARBALA001.htm. He offers discounts to Inmates.

I put the 8 cell one into my R75/5. Less than 1/2 the size and weight of the gel battery it replaced with greater CCA.
  9. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I had a real problem with a Gel Cell in my R60/5. It NEVER charged right and I ended up baking it because of this. I replaced it with a sealed AGM battery that worked perfectly. All this current technology is too new for old ass Airhead chargers.
  10. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer the AGM batteries. Have been using a few different brands over the years, but found that the Odyssey brand is pretty much the best AGM you can get for the money. Putting it simply, they just work

Did have a problem with a Westco going south on me, apparently 2 cells went bad after 6 years. Just not made to last. :evil
  11. honkytonking

Oddometer:
    Awsome checked out the sight looks good and the price good only problem is thery are out of stock but thanks guess ill have to wait
  12. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
  13. georgesgiralt

georgesgiralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello !
    Ask for an AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) they are like the gel batteries but the gel is stuck in a fiber glass mat between the plaques.
    I own one since 2006 and still going strong. Like the Odyssey but much much cheaper. Of course, not red.... but ....
    Mine is a Chinese Tashima bought "the cheapest"...
  14. Samy

Samy Samy

Oddometer:
    I had an Odyysey PC 680 on my R80 GS basic. Used it on for around 6 months. Made a mistake and left it on the bike as connections were on. Checked the battery after 4-5 months and the battery was completely dead. (((

So I will go back to classic acids.

:cry
  15. Paul_Rochdale

Paul_Rochdale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any battery would be dead if left connected for six months. I like my Odyssey PC680 and it lasted for eight years or so. During spells of inactivity, connect to an Optimate III.
  16. frozenpeas

frozenpeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What type of battery tender/maintainer are you folks using for gel batteries? I have the BMW exide gel in my 71 R60/5 and am looking for one. Thanks.
  17. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    I have a Panasonic branded battery. Same battery they make for Westco who puts their stickers on, but it's a little cheaper if you get it branded Panasonic.

Bought it in 2003, lived on the bike for two years, rode it around the world. I use the bike seldom these days, but that battery is still in there and it still works ten years later. I'm not complaining.