Tires for the F800gs .. who sells them and what do they look like!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, with the exception that the rear has considerably less of a sipe. I was uncertain how the rear would be but after use I couldn't ask for a better DS type tire.
    The front??? Phenominal, better that the MT21.
  2. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just returning from Colorado... I saw lots of people running "trails bike" tires on there bikes (450's Ktm type bikes). Great tough tire for rocky trails...
  3. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Well had the Mitas for about 3km road wise they are great. I find the E-10 (front) a little skatey on the lose gravel. I think I will try a pair of the E09's next. Oh and as far as wear. They don't seem to be wearing at all 3300km[​IMG]
  4. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I installed a Heidenau K69 front tire. The Cdn dist for Heidenau asked me to try it out and give them feedback.

[​IMG]

Needless to say it's a very open and aggressive dirt tire. The casing isn't heavy duty either so I set them at 35psi and kept them there (don't need to add any more dings to the rim :eek1) and they still did well off-road.
    I suspect it wasn't designed with 500lb adv bikes in mind it never did anything unpredictable even on cold damp pavement (didn't push it too hard on that knowing what it's designed for). There was a little bit of a light feeling and only a little wander/ squirm.

In the dirt the tracking was great and braking grip was great too. Cornering grip was also good. Terrain was a variety of dirt, rocks (all sizes and with shale) and some sticky mud.
    Didn't get any sand but I imagine they would be good there. Being a soft conditions tire I don't expect long life and I haven't had it on long enough to speculate.

If you're looking for a good soft conditions tire I think it's worth a look.

The rear would also be an option but sadly they don't make it in big sizes yet.

I'd like to see a Heidenau in between this and the K60s.

Thanks,

Dave
  5. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see RawHyde is going to start selling a couple of sizes of Sava tires. The rear size works for the 800.

I understand these have been available in Europe for awhile. Anybody have any experience with them?
  6. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Interesting and thanks for posting, hadn't heard of these. Also keen to hear about anyone with first-hand experience on them.
  7. HighTechCoonass

Oddometer:
    updated some info....

My ridding buddy with Super Tenere ran the Mitas E07 on our trip New Mexico / Arizona this week - same set as Colorado last year! - great wear and performance.

Looks like I will have to get on the backorder list for the 150 /70 17.
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    uploadfromtaptalk1399878778226.jpg
    Here is what's going on mine next.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
  10. DonHS

DonHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there -

I'm looking at new tires. I see the TKCs for the rear listed two ways at Revzilla -
    150/70B17 TL 69Q for $174
    150/70B17 TT 70Q for $168

Whats the difference? (Besides price.)

Thanks ahead.
  11. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TL = Tubeless

TT= Tube Type

Per
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    first one is TL = tubeless.
    69 means maximum load 325KG
    Q = top speed 160kmh

second one is TT = Tubetype (needs a tube)
    70 means maximum load 335kg
    and well you know now what Q stands for.
  13. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha first :turkish :rayof

Your's is more informative and accurate though Loutre. do you keep all that info in your head?
  14. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    well when you are a law student you are used to learn useless crap by heart all day long, after a couple of years you are starting to accumulate more useless numbers in your head than you'd like to admit :lol3
  15. DonHS

DonHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you both.
  16. HighTechCoonass

Oddometer:
    e07 rear...

it looks to be late June/early July before we'll get our
    container from the Czech Republic. I will add your name to our newsletter
    list and once we have an ETA I'm going to send out notification when we'll
    be accepting pre-orders.

Regards,

Heather McMahon
    MX1 Canada / MX1 Distributing

My buddy gave me a set of TKC80 from his Super Tenere that he never used... front is too small but a I guess I may as well mount the rear baby up and save some cash.
  17. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I skimmed this old thread to remind me how tire interests have evolved since the first post. Based on the many other tire threads here, "hard to find" tire brands have a special fascination with GS riders. It takes a while for objectivity to emerge after the initial "I swear by 'em" posts, but when buyers finally admit to the warts of fringe tires, I have to thank you guys who buy and ride them. You've saved me shekels and probably my neck.

Fred
  18. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard much discussion of the Avon Distanzias? I had them on my Husqvarna 450 SMR and they were decent. I'm curious of the boards feelings towards this tire on the F8. My F8's mission has changed somewhat (picking up an OR plated '05 XR650R in June), so I want a decent mileage 80/20 tire now, and I can't wait for the E07 shipment. The Avons fit that bill and shouldn't have the Shinko 705 issues.

Anybody have experience with Avon Distanzias on their F8?
  19. keep it simple!

keep it simple! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well,just went back from a +5000km trip in Tunisia.
    2500km on asphalt (the way to go to Genua and back) and 2600km in Tunisia on gravel,stones and (in the south) soft sand.
    Started from home on used Anakee 2 front. In Tunisia i changed it for a MT21 which did the whole trip there and back home. Very good tyre but not for highway;when strong braking the ABS comes up very quick.
    Rear I started from home on a MitasEO7Dakar. Reasons I choose the Mitas:
    1/According to reviews it wears very slow
    2/It's very stiff (Dakar even stiffer) and I didn't want any flats (the only flat i had was on the Pirelli front). I didn't run bibmousses nor thick innertubes,used the OEM bmw innertube)
    3/Price: I payed 65EUR for the E07 + 10EUR for mounting it.
    4/My experience long ago with Barum: even with a flat tyre you could slowly go on)
    What can I say? The tyre performed beyond expectations,even in the deep sand. After 5100km there is still 5mm left so good for a few 1000km.
    Just pay attention when this tyre is new: it's very slippery in the rain (the ASC did a good job) for the first 500km. Got a lot of rain on my way back in France and once used it felt a lot more secure. It will never be a top performer in the rain but that's something I knew before (it's not a TR91 or TrailAttack) but it gets the job done.
    Oh yeah,after break-in both tyres starts to sing...:clap
  20. Arclite

Arclite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any impressions on the these tires: Bridgestone TW152 (rear) and TW41 (front)?

They're offered in 150/70-17 and 90/90-21, and they're budget price.

I'm coming off the Pirellies that came stock on the '12 F8; I think I ride 70/30, but I really ride 90/10 road/dirt...so I'm thinking these will be pretty good for me.

Any thoughts about road/dirt/wet traction and wear is much appreciated.

(I've heard the Trail Wings called Death Wings...please elaborate if you can comment on this moniker).

Thanks,
    Adrian