Tire Pump Inflator Air Compressor, WHICH ONE???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by barbalace, Mar 6, 2009.

1. barbalace

barbalace Sebastian

Oddometer:
    Which one is better?
    I found these pumps. Have you had experience with any of them?

Cycle Pump:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Slime Power Sport 12 Volt Air Compressor:
    [​IMG]

Motopump Kit:
    [​IMG]
  2. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the motopump kit, it came with tire repair stuff and everything.

Works great! I love it!
  3. dwvabeach

dwvabeach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny,

I have the Slime pump and it works great. Have been using it for all sorts of things for more than 2 years without an issue. The cool thing is that its power plug is the same as the plug for the
    battery tender so you only need to make one connection to the battery. The plug will also fit
    into the side of your four wire trailer plug so you can get juice from the truck to inflate the trailer tires if needed. (Like I said I have used it for a bunch of stuff)

The only draw back is that you have to unscrew the hose every time you stow it in its pouch and that after inflating a few trailer tires it gets pretty warm by the hose.

Well worth the money if you ask me.

DW
  4. barbalace

barbalace Sebastian

Oddometer:
    It looks bulky... is it uncomfortable to carry?
  5. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    The motopump looks smaller than the slime when you compare to the pressure gauges and air hoses for scale.
  6. co.dirtbiker

co.dirtbiker Motorcycle Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    If you go to Walmart, they sell a cheap pump for about $10. If you strip away the plastic case, it looks virtually identical to the Motopump - all the way down to the exposed finger-pinching gears and crank. I suspect that Motopump may be doing nothing more than purchasing the same cheap pump and stripping it down for you. The primary difference being they put a nice piece of shrink tube around it to hold the wires in place, and I had to use electrical tape since I didn't have any shrink tube that big.

Though I took it off and plugged the hole in order to save space, the Walmart one even included a pressure gauge so you could watch the progress. Acuracy was questionable, but it could at least get you in the ballpark if you leave it attached.

For a carry case, I picked up a 3 pack of zipper bags for $3-4 at Home Depot. You get 3 different sizes, one of which is perfect to hold the pump and accessories and looks nearly identical to the one Motopump gives you. The other two are a bonus you can use for whatever else you want.

Add a tire gauge for a couple $ and a patch kit for a couple more, and you've got a nice setup for well under $20. I think the Motopump goes for something in the neighborhood of $35-45 doesn't it?

I carry mine everywhere on my KLR and have used it probably a dozen times or so over the last couple years. (Not all my own flats, but I've certainly had my fair share.) It takes up very little space and doesn't weigh much at all. It's also a great way to make friends when you happen across someone sitting on the side of the trail with an empty tube in their hands and surrounded by a bunch of empty CO2 cartridges. :wink:

I do recommend going through all the moving parts and putting on a good coat of grease as soon as you strip off the case. There wasn't much from the factory. Also be careful while it's running. The cylinder gets hot enough to burn, the motor can get uncomfortably warm, and there are lots of moving parts just waiting to pinch something. Since everything is out in the open, you can't set it down while it's running, and you need to exercise caution to keep dirt and grit out.

So if you consider this to be the same thing as the Motopump, I think I'd give it a thumbs up. I can't imagine any other pump being smaller or lighter. If you go the DIY route, it's by far the cheapest - not much more than a 6 pack of CO2 and only taking up slightly more room.
  7. exwingnut

exwingnut Entremanure

Oddometer:
    I am with co.dirtbiker...buy the cheapest one you can find and rip the cases off...I have an old slime pump I picked up on clearance 5 years ago for $15...still works great.
  8. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pump with all the extra stuff comes in a bag that fits under the seat of my Strom. There is a carabiner hooked to the pump so if you want to you can hang it off the bike via a bungee or something so it's not sitting in the dirt.

I've had to use it a couple of times, worth the money in my book.
  9. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I've been slimed and am happy about it.:lol3
  10. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the slime pump and like it for the same reasons listed above. My only negative is that it shuts down at 32psi which isn't a big deal accept when I'm running Tourances instead of the TKC 80's. I like it's compactness because I ALWAYS seem to take toooooooo much crap!!!!!!
  11. Jamming

Jamming Texas Bound

Oddometer:
    Mc news did a test....

Go Here

I HAD the Sparrow pump...worked ok...it was last in the test. :eek1

About a month ago, Autozone had the small Slime pump on sale for 10 bucks. Yea...10 bucks....I bought it...do I look like a dumbass???? Wait, don't answer that:lol3 . That's the one in my bag now.

Before the Sparrow pump, I did the stripped Walmart pump thing. It worked fine, but it did get hot.
  12. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to take a pump apart to make it as small as possible but it was a hassle to pack and keep from burning your fingers as these things get hot. I got the slime pump pictured at the top of the thread it is the smallest encased pump I have found and since all the cords and hoses disconnect they are easier to store and avoid damage. I don't use thier huge bag since it also has room for a bottle of slime, I just put it in a small nylon bag I bought at a camping store and put a rubber band around it......oh yea if you go to wally world sometimes they don't stock the motorcycle/atv pump in the automotive section, they have another section in the sporting goods and put the slime pump there with the helmets an other bike stuff, not in the automotive area.
  13. doc47

doc47 Klooge Maker 3rd Class

Oddometer:
    co.dirtbiker's got it. I did the same thing years ago. Stripped the case, added extra wire and a switch. Got me out of a few airless places on the RT.
  14. GSbiker

GSbiker new and un-improved

Oddometer:
    I'm a WalMart pump guy. About $10 and it has worked well for three or four years now. Another thing you might add to your travel kit is the hose below.

[​IMG]

I have never been able to seat the bead with the small compressor so I pump up the opposite tyre to 70-80 pounds and use that pressure and volume to help seat the bead on the flat tire. It sometimes takes a couple tries but it will work.
  15. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5729866#post5729866

The motopump packs the smallest when you consider the fact that you also have a patch kit, worms, plugger, reamer, pressure gauge and other stuff in the pouch. I put it in a different craftsman pouch and also have a small wd40 bottle and other crap in there. fits under even the smallest of seats.

Oh, my entire patch kit fits into an altoids tin.
  16. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I did the whole rip apart a cheap pump to make it smaller thing and found it just felt fragile without some sort of protective enclosure. Bought the slime pump and it has held up to lots of use and abuse. It's blown 2 fuses which was a little annoying.
  17. barbalace

barbalace Sebastian

Oddometer:
    This is PERFECT!! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks man!
  18. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the slime kit and highly recommend it.
  19. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I seated a front bead with the Slime pump- with street tires on a tubeless rim. I was in total disbelief of this until I actually did it myself. Damn thing did it near as fast as my 32 gallon tank at home.

So here are my thoughts:
    1) Based on the above, the other expensive ones seem really silly as when you take apart the Slime pump, they are all the same friggin thing- and I don't believe that any of them actually have better motors that put out more cfm.

2) The Wallyworld solution rocks as well, but all the wiring, different connectors, case, are all in the included case. All for $25 which puts it not much if any more expensive as a whole than the Wallyworld solution.
  20. GSwannabee

GSwannabee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problems with the cycle pump from Best Rest. Durable