Fuel leak: Can't find, can only smell. Any tips?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Chubber, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Chubber

Chubber I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer:
    I have developed a fuel leak that I can only smell when the engine is running, but I can't actually see. It's not much of one because I can only smell it after it's been running for a couple of minutes and has gotten hot, but I still don't want to ignore it, obviously.

Any tips on how to track down a small fuel leak that only shows up when it's running? Ideally I would like to hang the tank from the roof and put in 3 foot extension fuel lines, but I can't do that. Any other hints?

PS: I tried to search, but it appears to be broken again...
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Usually helps to post the model and year of the bike.

On your R1100RS it can be from a couple places, but in my experience it is usually in the lines from the tank. It wont show unless you have a major leak.

Also, it can be from your gas cap if you don't get it all the way closed, or if the seal is torn.

Jim :brow
  3. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    If it is an R1200GS, have you pulled off the black plastic round cover over the fuel pump? Believe it's just a small CCW turn to get it off. Typical problem is a crack in the fitting for the female quick disconnect, if that's it, you'll see some gas pooling in the front of the flange that holds the fuel filterwhile it's running, there should be some threads about trying to fix that sort of leak fairly recently.

Good luck.

roy
  4. Chubber

Chubber I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it's a '98 1100 GS. (Jim, I sold the RS a couple of years ago) I figured Oilhead was specific enough, but I forgot the 1200's have a different fuel setup.

My latest idea is to build a smelloscope (Good News, everybody!) out of a paper towel tube and see if I can figure out where it's coming from. But Ill check the tank cap o-ring and mounting gasket for cracks, hadn't though of that one.
  5. picinisco

picinisco Scottish Transplant

Oddometer:
    The rubber hoses that deliver the gas dry out and crack at the clamp joint. When this happens, and you first start the bike, fuel leaks past the joint. Once wetted, the hose expands and stops the leak. That's why it is so hard to find. Cheap fix - cut a half inch off the hose end.
    Proper fix - replace hose

And at the same time add quick connects:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HQ6V4
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No problem, same potential issues though.

Jim :brow