Will I live to be 80??

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by 10Cup, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny........ had a good laugh at this one.

Here's something to think about.
    ><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    > I recently picked a new primary care doctor.
    ><o:p> </o:p>
    > After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing fairly well'
    > for my age. (I'm approaching 60.)
    > A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him,
    > 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'
    > He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?'
    > 'Oh no,' I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'
    > Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?
    > 'I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that all red meat is
    > very unhealthy!'
    > 'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing,
    > hiking, or bicycling?'
    > 'No, I don't,' I said.
    > He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lots of good sex?'
    > 'No,' I said.
    > He looked at me and said,... 'Then, why do you even give a shit?':rofl
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I concur with the Dr! :wink: Just incase you needed a 2nd opinion
  3. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 40 year old man is told by his Dr he has 6 months to live. He asks the Dr. if he is sure. Dr says he is certain the man only has 6 months to live. The 40 year old asks about all the healthy lifestyle choices he has made. Dr still insists nothing can be done and 6 months is it.
    The 40 year old man seeks a second opinion. He tells the second Dr he can still run 2 miles in under 13 minutes, bench 225, do 80 situps without stopping, and mentions his under 60 resting pulse, 132 cholesterol, etc. Second Dr also says he has 6 months. The 40 year old man says he should have at least 40 more years since he has taken such good care of himself and asks if anything can be done. The Dr tells him to buy a KTM and marry Rosie O'Donnell. The patient seems confused at this advice and asks how that can extend his life. The Dr says, "It won't. You're going to die in 6 months. I wish I could change that. This will make those 6 months seem like 40 years, and you will look forward to your last breath."
  4. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I belong to a local club called the Tulsa Trail Riders. We used to have our events, including the 1994 I.S.D.E. at John Zink Ranch. It was a pretty demanding place to ride. This is some drink coolees we had printed up back in the eighties.

[​IMG]
  5. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember that saying. Zink was awesome!(I think you and I have talked about it before)
  6. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Zink is an awesome place. 50,000 acres. We had about 450 miles of trails on it. We still have an event there occasionally. We had the ISDT reunion ride there, this last fall.
  7. RipperFox

RipperFox ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer:
    Where is Zink ranch at? Sand Springs, but where? goolge me a map.
  8. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Highway 97 North out of Sand Springs. It dead ends at JZ Ranch. Ranch goes north to Skiatook Lake and West to Prue.
  9. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I once met an older guy name Ed from the Chicago area at a little rally at Hot Springs one winter day. He was driving an older airhead BMW and had old crusty, worn leathers on. We had to do our camp fires in drums at the park and he was dragging a log to the drum, using it a a crutch sort of. I was a young 58 at the time and he was 82 and had been riding bikes for 65 years. I told him, " Gosh Ed, I have to grow some more to get as old as you have been riding bikes". The night went on and swapping tale in the cold night air. In the morning, frost on the tents. Remembering he had drove that bike from Chicago, I really could not bitch very much huh? That kinda set a goal for me to try to ride that long. I don't know where Ed went to after the years since. Hope he's doing great up there. I finally got to 66 this March. Just hoping I can climb on my bike at 82 and ride, much less do it from Chicago in the winter, through the snow and cold , to a rally in Hot Springs, Arkansas. God speed Ed, where ever you are. I'll never forget you.
  10. RipperFox

RipperFox ExplosiveOrdnanceDisposal

Oddometer:
    Never had heard anything about Zinc Ranch.

How do you get to ride on it?
  11. G.Gordon

G.Gordon Nation of Frustration

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My buddy, client, and overall great guy.. Mel.

Mel is 82. Rides still. Has been riding for more than 60 years.

Mel and Paul, another one of my clients, rode Mustang Mini bikes from Adrian, MO to Pikes Peak. Mustangs are little 50cc bikes that look like something a kid would start on. He still takes trips across several states and rides fast.

He'll be at the Blitz to Branson this weekend if any of you go.
  12. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Know what you mean. I am just a few years behind you and hope to still be riding when I am 82.
  13. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Surprised you have never heard of John Zink Ranch. We held the I.S.D.E. there in 1994. Only the second time it has been in the U.S. After the ISDE we were banned from having events there for liability reasons. In the 30 something years we have raced there, there was never a liability claim but someone decided it could be a problem.

The ranch is not open for riding now but we have been allowed to have a couple of events there. Jack Zink died a couple of years ago but his son is motorcycle friendly and has allowed to ride there to get ready for the events. If you are interesed in joining the Tulsa Trail Riders, you can ride there when we do an event. Our meetings are the 2nd Wed of every month at 7 P.M. at Mazzios Pizza at the Farm shopping center at 51st and Sher.
  14. achesley

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap My hat is off to Mel! :clap :clap :clap
  15. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gulpha Gorge Rally? I might have met Ed. I've met quite a few inspirational older guys there. Really a wide range of riders and bikes at this small gathering each fall.
  16. achesley

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the rally. I've missed it the last few years due to being offshore working when it came up. Since I retired this year, I'll for sure be doing my best to be there this year. ;-)
  17. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are setting your sights too low, crank them up a bit.
    (from the AMA Hall of Fame Website)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Freddie Marsh amassed an amateur racing career that lasted longer than many people live. Propelled by a love for motorcycling that persisted even after he surpassed 100 years of age, Marsh raced in seven different decades. He also owned dealerships in Connecticut from 1926 until the time of his death in 2003.

[​IMG]

Even after he surpassed 100 years of age, Marsh rode an old, Indian-badged, 50cc scooter. His frail health and failing eyesight meant he was limited to riding laps of the parking lot at his dealership, but he maintained that a regimen of riding 75 laps each morning was what kept him going. His love of motorcycling was evident as he circled the lot, turning left in a smooth oval, just like in his dirt-track days, with a smile permanently in place.

Jim
  18. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a helluva guy. Wish I could have known him.

I know a guy that lives in OKC that has won overall in the OKC enduro in four different decades. Not just first in his class, I mean the best score in the event. Not that he is real old but I just think it amazing that anyone could be at the top their game for that long.
  19. achesley

Oddometer:
    These old guys are icons in our sport. The guy that taught me how to go around a scrambles track in the late 50's and early 60's was an old BSA dealer that held a national number flat trackin in his hey day. He had two sayings us guys that learned from him will never forget.
    "The best rider wins at the slowest pace " Meaning was to work with the bike and track and not be sliding all over the place looking fast but going slow. While the winner looked slow and boring but going fast.
    " The art of racing is exploring the limits of traction. Once in awhile you will exceed these limits and go on your ass. "

Pop died in his sleep in his late 70's. Still flat tracking his old BSA's. He spent Saturday getting his Beezer ready for a local race on Sunday and never woke up to go racing. God speed Pops Guidry. Thanks for the lessons.