1190R front sprocket removal?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by mlyamkaw, May 6, 2014.

1. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Posted this in the gearing thread, but I need some help! Trying to change from a 17 to a 16 front. Major PITA so far! but if I can't get the sprocket out! would advise anyone changing gearing to do the rear sprocket instead...

This might be a dumb question, but how do you get the front sprocket off? Mine appears to not be able to get past the groove in the swing arm. Like you would have to take the swing arm off the get the sprocket off. There has to be a trick, right? I'm disassembled to that point, and took a break to research and have a couple of beers to think about it. don't think I will get too far tonight!
  2. irongrady

irongrady Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you post up a pic? I'm sure you'll get some help if you do. As of now I can't picture what you're talking about.
  3. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There is a groove in the swing arm that the sprocket runs in. I can't figure out how to get the teeth past that groove.
  4. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a PIA but it does come off just keep wiggling it. I thought the 16 was too low so went back to stock and will try a 44 rear when I can find one?
  5. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn't come off with wiggling. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in. I figured lot's of people would have changed this by now. Pretty stupid design is what I'm thinking, I hope it isn't the stupid mechanic! :rofl
    I'm going at it tonight with my Dremel tools!
  6. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    make sure the chain is off the rear sprocket, line the teeth up so the chain guide on the swingarm is between two teeth and then pull on the top and bottom of the sprocket, wiggling it back and forth. just about the time your fingers go numb it should come off.
  7. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    Will make one more attempt tonight, but after 2 beers, the Dremel is coming out!:lol3
  8. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

it is a pain in the ass, if you could get the chain off it would help. I was about to give up when it just popped off?? maybe it was just luck? unfortunately I didn't like the 16 and had to change it again, the 16 does come off easier:D
  9. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    My chain is off. The photo is misleading, but the chain is off both sprockets in that photo. Actually just in front of the sprocket.

I want a lower first gear, and a lower 6th. 6th gear is basically useless for me. And I'm thinking about the 4th gear wheelies I'll be able to do.:deal
    Dropping the front back down at 80 MPH:eek1
  10. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

I was wanting the same, but found the 16 front to make it feel like it just revs but doesn't really pull? if that makes any sense? anyway good luck!
  11. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh, yea it took every cuss word I know and a few I just made up before it finally came off
  12. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    I didn't wait long before getting the Dremel. It was not coming off without some modification. I just took the two teeth down a little. Kept doing that until it came off. The sprocket is still usable if I ever want to go back.
    Will find out tomorrow and this weekend how much I like it with a 16.
  13. brooks

brooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ever do it again make sure the lock washer tab has been bent away from the nut,leave the chain on, use the rear brake to keep the rear wheel from spinning. Break the nut loose and take it off. a little wd 40 and a couple taps from a rubber mallet will loosen the sprocket. move the rear wheel forward and take the chain off the old sprocket and put on the new. Boom:D
  14. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    No, that is not how it works on this bike! That was the 5 minute part of the job, and that was with a beer break.:deal
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:
    I think they used locktite on the splines. Use a puller, or 2 small curved pry bars( with 90 degree bend) from behind and gently rock it back and forth until it starts to move.
  16. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    That wasn't the problem, I was able to wiggle it right away. It would not clear the groove in the swing arm until I ground down the 2 teeth on the sprocket a bit.
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Without seeing the situation i would NOT recommend cutting a Little on the splines if thats What you´ve done.
  18. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    The teeth on the sprocket, not the splines on the drive shaft.
    I'm not using that sprocket anymore anyway, but you could still use it.

It's just a clearance issue in getting the sprocket off.
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    i´m calm again
  20. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to do this myself.....not much room in there. Anyone figured out a trick yet or just screw with it until it come off?

I know the area on the right near the pivot shaft is going to suck but was the chain guard bar or the area on the left an issue also?

[​IMG]