Denver in a day

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Orangecicle, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to go over to Golden, CO for my father's birthday on Sept. 12th. I should be there one day in advance, so I should have the 11th free. My brother will becoming in as well that evening, and I want him to have some time on my KTM 950. Assuming I have from 8 a.m. until about 5 p.m. to ride on my own, where should I ride? I'm mostly a "country road" type of rider.

I really appreciate any input.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Do the Coors plant tour when in Golden. :beer

Moved to the Rockies forum. Day trippin' is a ride reports forum for telling us about your day trips..
  3. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Top of Mt. Evans - 14,000 feet all paved and don't pay the entry fee.
    Go up via Morrison to Evergreen and then to Hwy 102 to Echo Lake and then to the top.
    Go back down to Echo Lake and to Idaho Springs. Then take OH MY GOD road to Central City, then hwy 119 to highway 46 Golden Gate Canyon which takes you back to Golden.

cheers !
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    +1 - if you only have a day ride up Mount Evans.

It'll give you an experience you cannot get anywhere else... the highest paved road in the nation. Warning though.. there's no freakin' oxygen up there :D

If you still have time when you are finished, ride the Peak to Peak highway to Estes Park.

I think "Oh My God" Road is now called "Virginia Canyon road" if you are looking for it on a map.. it climbs out of Idaho Springs to the north.
  5. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer:
    (Typo Fixed :D )
  6. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Thank you Woods !

Be informed that as you climb out of Idaho Springs towards Central City the road offers two options: Straight is the original OMG Road, right is the easier switchbacks put in about 15 years ago. Both meet at the top of the hill. Niether is difficult but the OMG rd is a more challenging.
  7. KLXplode

KLXplode Desert Hunter

Oddometer:
    Woah. My friends mom runs those tours:huh
  8. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    There's also no freakin warmth up there. Be prepared for quite a chill!
  9. NoBull

NoBull Lovin my new KLR

Oddometer:
    That route is indeed a good one, however verify Mt Evans will still be open, usually it closes just after Labor day. From Golden one of my favorites is Clear Creek canyon and then 119 to Hwy 7 down to Lyons. Then back to Golden via 36. Golden Gate Canyon and Boulder Canyon are great as well, you can spend a day going up one down the next up the next etc. The seven canyons will make a good day.
  10. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
  12. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
  13. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Hope you can do the loop up to Mt. Evans cause it is primo. If you can't go to the top, then it is still a great ride up Squaw Pass road from Evergreen and down to Idaho Springs, where you can take OMG road up to Central City-Blackhawk and then Peak to Peak Highway to Nederland and beyond. Also, a short quick ride is up to Lookout Mt. from Golden and then down the old Hwy 40 alongside I-70 back to Golden. By the way I looked at your Google map and you got it right. This is one of the best rides in the country and if you do it when the aspens have started to turn, twice as good.
  14. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    If Mt. Evans is closed, take 285 to Guanella pass and ride to the summit. You can't go all the way through but it's a good example of high altitude and nice views. Third choice would be a ride through Rocky Mountain National Park if you don't mind traffic.
  15. RamblerTim

RamblerTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Orangecicle

Oddometer: