Headwaters Trail Alliance first work day

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Hayduke, May 16, 2013.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Headwaters Trail Alliance is a new group; an alliance of multiple trail users (mountain bikers, hikers, equestrian, motorized) dedicated to cooperating on multi-use trail issues. They're hosting their first work day, bringing together mountain bikers and motorcyclist to work on a beautiful section of singletrack outside of Salida, CO. Some of you may be familiar with Green's Creek trail; a local gem of technical singletrack.

[​IMG]

If interested, they are asking you to RSVP via their facebook page or call the number listed above.
  2. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    work day is Saturday; that leaves all day Sunday to ride the epic singletrack in the area. :deal
  3. Crenshaw

Crenshaw Bum

Oddometer:
    Yeah Green's Creek! One of my favorites.

Funny that they picked the same name as the HTA in granby, or is it the same organization?
  4. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Not the same, as far as I know.

You going to be there? I may do the campout the night before, up on the divide.
  5. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    If they end up short volunteers I would like to get some Colorado trail work under my belt.
    It might be fun to bring the LC4 up, to spend the weekend riding and working.
  6. Crenshaw

Crenshaw Bum

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna try, summer weekends are tough work-wise but I bet I can swing it. Campout the night before sounds fun.
  7. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Same here. I'm going to start trying to work it out now... lots of time. :D
  8. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :thumb It would be great to have a good showing of motorized users.

If you have a smaller bike, though, I'd bring that. :uhoh
  9. Brake

Brake "Tractor right up it"

Oddometer:
    Very interested!! Pretty sure i have that whole weekend off so would be in for working, camping, riding, whatever..........will keep tabs on this as it develops.

Edit..... Out of town that weekend:cry
  10. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Bump!

Coming up quick! Check the Facebook page for pics of the work site and the problems that need to be repaired. Looks like there will be quite a few mountain bikers volunteering their time. What about moto riders?
  11. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Coming up!

From the HTA FB page:

"Why is the Green’s Creek Motorcycle and Mountain Bike Trail Project Important?
    A short perspective from Derrick Nehrenberg (an admitted mountain biker)

Locals may or may not know that Green’s Creek is quietly gaining a reputation as the premier Monarch Crest Area Trail, especially for the enduro mountain bike sect. In just under 7 miles, Green’s Creek drops over 3,000 feet along the most technical stretch of trail off the Monarch Crest Trail. The terrain calls for a technical trail and Green’s Creek delivers the goods.

Riders I have spoken to in Fruita and Crested Butte who ride the trail are a little terrified that Green’s Creek will lose its character through a multi-year Southwest Conservation Core (SCC) remodelling process coordinated with the Forest Service. This was also my first reaction. However, I have ridden the SCC’s revamped section in the lower ~3 miles, and I have to say that overall, I have been really impressed with the changes. It has become a much more sure-footed and faster trail. There are some great changes and many of the good ones are not too far from great.

My Grandma has long advised that “the difference between good and great is a little more effort.” In my few years of experience building trails, I have learned a very simple lesson regarding the difference between a good trail and a great trail: it boils down to whether or not riders were involved in the effort. I am certain the same rule applies for motorcyclist.

Without a doubt, motorcycle trails are critical to mountain bikers’ well-being. Motorcycle trails top the list of mountain bikers’ favorite trails all around. Do I really even need to name them? OK, Monarch Crest, Rainbow, Canyon Creek, Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman’s (Crested Butte), Slickrock (Moab), Butterknife (Grand Junction). That list alone begins to obligate mountain bikers to the task of caring for some motorcycle trails. Moreover, it also means motorcycle and mountain bikers should naturally be good collaborators, and together could create a stronger, positive voice for singletrack trails.

Green’s Creek is in the middle of a multiyear SCC and Forest Service revamp. Now is the time for motorcyclists and mountain bikers to give a little more effort to enhance the rideability of Green’s Creek by doing everything in their power to help maximize riding pleasure out of the planned changes. If it’s done right, I firmly believe Green’s Creek will top the list of favorite motorcycle and mountain bike multi-use trails in Colorado. Green’s Creek can become both a more sustainable and more pleasurable trail to ride with just a little more effort.

The Green’s Creek Project will be held Saturday, June 29th, from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm at the top of Green’s Creek. Friday night camping at the top of Marshall Pass is optional. Michael McGovern of Monumental Adventures is catering all the food. The aim of the project is fix a creeky corner in a way that turns a big trail problem into a memorable, pleasure-inducing trail feature. And, there is much interest from the Forest Service and mountain bike and motorcycle trail user groups in gauging the project’s success.

RSVP here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jGQ9RZI1cDccmL9ZvCJYG4-5WggQiXz5s49f50miqe0/viewform

Thanks for reading."
  12. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    A little info about the project. Some things have changed though: We will be camping at the Crest Trail Trailhead at the top of Marshall pass... so you could even trailer to there. Food provided! We need a good showing of moto riders here, if just for input on how to keep the trail fun and interesting to ride!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U0PYLbFFgwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    Wow. These guys have an enlightened point of view regarding why bicyclists and motorcyclists should get along and cooperate. The more common ideology seeks to drive a wedge between the "mechanized" group of users.

I hope you get a good turn out of riders!

=Doug
  14. Tramontana

Tramontana .

Oddometer:
    ...but unfortunately Fifinella and I are already booked for a party on Saturday afternoon, and I doubt that I could ride down, party, camp...

...get up, work, then ride home to be cleaned up by 4:00 to party more?! :rofl

Cheers and have a great time! :freaky
  15. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    Can't make it for the trail work day because of Brecktrek, but I'm really glad to see mountain bikers and motorcyclists working together. Seems there's a lot of us who do both. I first "discovered" Green's Creek about ten years ago and have enjoyed it many times via mountain bike. Can't imagine riding it on a moto.
  16. Dozer Dillon

Dozer Dillon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "Dust Eaters will have a group of 8-10 of us for the trail work party. We are camping in the big meadow up from Tank 7 on the mine road on Thursday morning. On Saturday we will head up Marshall Pass to Crest Trail and Green's Creek.

We will be doing trail clearing and riding Thursday and Friday. On Thursday, we have to finish clearing Baldy, Summit, Upper Razor and Long Branch trails. On Friday we plan on doing Canyon Creek which is clear to the bowl where there was snow 2 weeks ago. South Quartz, Fairview, Fossil Ridge, McIntyre, Alder and Bear Creek, Quaky back to camp. Should be about a 100 mile day. Come join us.:clap
  17. planetech

planetech n00b

Oddometer:
    Dozer,
    I'll be looking for you guys. RSVP submitted, Camper almost ready, chainsaw, check. Trials tire back on, Crap!
    Can't wait! Tank 7 on mine road? I'll figure it out if I miss the Cantina stop at 7:00...:clap
    98jpiner
  18. Dozer Dillon

Dozer Dillon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'll have "Dust Eaters" signs posted at the 2-3 turns off of Marshall Pass Road.
  19. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Sounds like there will be twenty + volunteers coming this weekend! :thumb

Unfortunately, I now can,t be one of them. Had a crash yesterday and broke my thumb. Surgery tomorrow. :cry

Have fun, and tell everyone I'm sorry I couldn't be there.
  20. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
    I can't believe you crashed just to get out of a trail work day.

Heal fast!!