KLX250 vs. WR250R vs. DRZ400

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by futuretrash, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    And yet the F1 driver is still faster in the F1 car than the "normal road car"...
  2. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Which is what makes an F1 driver one man in 100,000. You and I need not apply.
  3. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must be the exception, because I am waaaaaay faster on my 525 than I was on the WRR.:D
  4. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    Which is what makes an F1 driver analogy here complete :topes
  5. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    Me also. I've gotten better and more mature over the years as well, and I'm faster on a smaller bike now than I used to be...but blanket statements like "most people are faster on smaller bikes than on faster bikes" is just a guy on a smaller bike justifying his little bike:lol3
  6. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    First, and you know that how? Because you feel faster, or because you have the stop watch or other objective measure to prove it?

Second, that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. A 525 is a lot lighter than a WRR. If you could go faster in the dirt on a 690 than a WRR that would be a little more impressive.
  7. RiosLibres

RiosLibres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also find myself having to choose within these two bikes, but I put one more constraint: I already have a 07 WR 250 F, which I love it and want to conserve. If I bought a second bike, for daily use, some 300 miles tripe once a month, and maybe some of the "more open enduros" like fire roads, should I go with the DRZ S or the WR R ?
    Thanks for the inputs!
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are similar in capability. Either should do fine. Choose the WRR for lighter weight, better highway manners while maintaining low enough gearing for off-road. Choose the DR-Z for torque, and (maybe) lower price since there are lots around and they haven't changed for ages; the WRR is a relatively newer design (2008)

Which is easier to get parts for there?
    Which do you like better?
    Will you do high-speed road work, like 65MPH +?
    Do you prefer carb or FI?
  9. RiosLibres

RiosLibres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks jon_l. Both are difficult to get parts for, I basically have to get them through the internet from the states, but I am used to do that.
    I would like to be able to do 65 + mph. Like I said, I have my WR 250 F for enduro, and would like to use this second bike for commuting, sometimes two up, 300 + miles once a month on a weekend.
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Montesa_vr's great thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

"The first number is the first gear ratio divided by the top gear ratio. The bigger the number, the wider the gear spread."

2.65 Suzuki DRZ400 (5-speed) 13.36

3.36 Yamaha WR250R/X (6-speed) 16.99

If you want to do 65+ AND off-road, I think the WRR is a better choice. You can gear the DR-Z for either, but not as easily for both.

At 65+ the WRR doesn't have much roll-on power, but it will steadily accelerate to ~80 something, reportedly maybe 90. With off-road capable tires (MT-21 F, T-63 R), I rarely go faster than ~60, and avoid interstates unless a short hop is really necessary, but I also have a street bike.

Sweet spot in WRR gearing seems to be 13/46-47, or equivalents like 14/50

WRX gearing is different, I don't know about that. Since you are keeping your WRF and doing fire-roads and the like, a WRX might be the ticket with Kenda 705, Shinko 700 or 705, IRC GP1 type of 50/50 tires:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    shrubitup likes this.
  11. RiosLibres

RiosLibres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great info jon_L, thanks a lot again!
  12. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll ride two-up on the freeway with my WRX all day long, never been an issue. The speed limit here is 100km/h though, I wouldn't want to take it on a faster road than that because I'd lose my ability to speed ahead if need be. Due to aerodynamics though no dual-sport bike should really be ridden at much higher speeds than that imo, they become very unstable.
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    This is very subjective of course, but my feelings with my dual sport bikes they feel stable up to about 90% of their max speeds but I'm freaked out on all my bikes at max speed.

So my wife has a KLX150 I sometimes ride. Holding the throttle wide open on the level gets me about 60 mph but I can hit 70 mph down hill and it scares me.

I've got a KLX250 turned 351. 71 mph was absolute GPS max stock on the level; at 75ish down hill I started feeling pretty nervous.
    With the 351 I changed the gearing and 85mph is max. I don't feel nervous till 80mph.

And then I've got a KTM690 - 106 mph is the fastest I've got it to keeping it pinned for a while. I feel comfortable on it all they way up to 100 though.

Like I said though that may all be subjective... ie I'm feeling safe and comfy right before I'm really about to die. It also may be that each of those bikes gets a progressively longer wheelbase EXCEPT for the KLX250 and 351 is of course the same. Perhaps near redline in top gear the engine's shake more giving me that freaky feeling of instability?
  14. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    he he he he my highest top speed on my 2012 wr250r is 97.1 mph gps :evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh i changed my gearing from 13/43 to 13/42 and im running a full racing graves exhaust and full powercommender system with
    the lcd touch screen
  15. ohenry

ohenry Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CoatsEast likes this.
  16. Master Cylinder

Master Cylinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bringing up an old thread...

All 3 bikes are a great choice and it all boils down to personal preference. For me it was the KLX250S. Of course, any of the 3 bikes is a compromise and any of the 3 bikes will serve you well. In my case I got a practically new bike for 1/2 price and 1 year and nearly 5,000 miles later my decision was confirmed.
    I didn’t need the latest or greatest, just a bike that I could maintain and have fun riding the trails of So. Oregon. I believe any one of the 3 would have worked and in my case there was no wrong decision. Heck. I might even switch to a Yamaha or Suzuki in a couple years if the itch to change is there.
    The emotions run high with some riders as to which bike is “best”. I say whichever bike makes YOU happy is the best, regardless of minor performance differences. Ride what you like and like what you ride!
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd apply a big bore and flat slide to any itch you get with the KLX. Soothes the itch pretty good from what I've heard.
    Master Cylinder likes this.
  18. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    Threadlifting..

Bikeless fool here. Sold my Tiger 800 and searching for a casual dual sport..

Found a nice KLX250S for sale, made some plans... sold before i got to it. Then 2 hours later i found a mint WR250R... made plans to take it tomorrow.. sold before i got to it. Buy whatever bike that flies under your nose?
    Seems like i will have to pay the double for a used CRF250L or something heavy
    PlowHand likes this.