K12RS Mirrors on R1150GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by fish, Mar 10, 2002.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I installed mirrors from the new 2002 K12RS on my R1150GS and they look cool. They use the stock mirror nuts and fit nicely, with the exception of causing the choke lever on the left cluster to deflect a bit to the outside, due to the thickness of the mirror mount. I don't think it will cause a problem, but time will tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:smile6
  2. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    how's about a picture from a couple feet away, ya know, to get the overall "aesthetic flow"?
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Something like this?
  4. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks Cool fish.

I see after the pissing rust incident you have taken to not washing the bikes:evil
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I've always had an aversion to washing bikes. It just seems to be a waste of time when you ride everyday. This bike gets washed every 6K miles whether it needs it or not. :lol2
  6. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes sence to me.

I have officialy added Meet fish to my list of things to do. NOTE- there is no date as you live to dam far away. But some day.
  7. CowtownGS

CowtownGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fish Head

Let us know if those increase the visibility

BTW what the hell are you doin using a homemade oil cooler gaurd???????????:rofl
  8. SoME RT

SoME RT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fish,
    Can you list the P/N and cost? Also, have you tried them on your RT? Thanks,
    Brian
  9. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the mirrors in question that I bought for my K1200RS and took off before selling it. They will fit on the RT, although there is the issue with the choke that fish pointed out. It does help eliminate any remaining blind spots in the RT, and look pretty good (IMHO).

However, that being said I'm not using them anymore, and would be glad to sell them off at a very favorable price to someone who wanted to give them a try... make me an offer.

-JC
  10. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    What are you willing to take, you knowing what you paid for them and all would be a more logical starting point in the negotiations.
  11. jcolombo

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Steve, didn't mean to be coy, was just going to be happy to let them go to another member of the forum. I think they were about $50 each, so $50 for the pair (used twice and only to look for trucks :): would be fine by me. Maybe another $5 for shipping?

-JC
  12. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I like it when you are coy! :ymca

I am interested, but need new shocks first and then an exhaust and then.......
  13. CowtownGS

CowtownGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will take them off your hands for that price. Please e mail me at either ramhornhill@aol.com, or rcarter@bellhelicopter.textron.com

thanks
  14. jcolombo

Oddometer:
    Done- sent you email.

-JC
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The plan is to take it on a little errand run this afternoon between meetings, so I'll get back to you on that.

Ha! Fooled you. Wunderlich :D
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Brian,

Mirror right 51 16 76 53 774
    Mirror left 51 16 76 53 773

They will work on the 1150RT clusters, naturally, but the stalks hit the sides of my Parabellum +4 windscreen. I'm not sure if they will work or not with the stock screen...I have not tried it.

On the conflict with the choke lever, I'm thinking a little Dremel machining will take care of it. Might try to hog it out tonight.
  17. Scary Mc

Scary Mc Resist Much. Obey Little. -Whitman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fish- What did the mirrors cost?
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    $50 USD each
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    In.
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Okay Flossie, et all...I did my mirror roadtest today. First, let me preface this post by saying that it's been a few weeks since I've been out on the GS, so I wasn't used to the round mirrors like I would have been had I ridden it everyday (it's been RT weather).

My first impression was that they do indeed look :coo:

My second impression is that they buzz as bad, if not worse, than the stock rounds.

Third, it didn't take much messing with them to realize I was missing the vertical area of the round mirror. The KRS mirrors are wider, but they are also shorter (mirror dimension, not distance to bar or anything). I could adjust them up and see sky or I could adjust them down and see bumpers. You clip a little off the top and bottom to get the bigger picture. They are indeed wider, and that's noticeable. I just wish the mirrors were as large vertically as the stock rounds. Did I mention that they look really cool? Mirrors are nice and clear under 3K rpm. Over, and you can make out cars and colors, but not makes.

Next, I removed the right KRS mirror and replaced it with a round and took another ride. Yup, I definitely miss the height of the round mirror. Seem to buzz a little worse than the rounds and also don't mount quite as high as the rounds. Since they are wider, they would likely get biffed sooner than rounds. Rode the mighty GS up a local dirtroad (shhh...not supposed to be there...it's part of the county park :), and got more big glops of mud on the alternator cover. Then I rode her home, pulled into the garage, centerstanded, and replaced the other KRS mirror with the stock round.

They are currently packed back up and ready to be returned, unless some local yokel wants to buy 'em and try 'em.

Overall:

+ They look cool (posers...you *need* a set), they are wider than stock and they work.

- $100/pr, vibrate as bad as stock, hamper the operation of the choke lever, and do not have as much vertical glass size as the stock round mirrors.

So, ymmv, of course. Other guys like 'em, that's why bmwscruz stocks 'em. But they aren't for me. I guess my performance expectations were a bit too high, and I was disappointed. If they worked as well as they looked, I'd just give a big thumbs up. But that's not the case here.

It's kinda like Moot. Some say he sucks, while others say "at least he swallows."