The 950 Super Enduro, Wyoming 2 tracks, and a stretch of I-80

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Slickhorn

Slickhorn Professional Dirt Bag

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Kow, we need to get the little bikes back to the desert before it's time to strap the planks on....
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Two track madness………….
    [​IMG]

Uh oh, start the timer!
    [​IMG]

Double class 2 patch failure. I believe this was actually Blurry’s fault because he didn’t remove the plastic from the patches after they were applied. This doesn’t allow the patch to stretch with the tube. I actually don’t like this type of patch. I usually just purchase the cheap ones you can find in any grocery store in the bicycle accessories. I’ve had good luck with Bell over the years.
    [​IMG]
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    After fixing the flat we got to a route that Blurry had been to before on his KTM525. We were slightly nervous about dropping in at first but that lasted about 2 seconds before Blurry started down.
    [​IMG]

We were working our way down into this valley.
    [​IMG]

After the initial steep section, the descent became quite easy. No sweat for the big bikes.
    [​IMG]

Actually, the route was quite fun.
    [​IMG]

Another little steep section at the bottom presented no issue.
    [​IMG]

Next was a river that had the potential to be a fun challenge.
    [​IMG]

It was not challenging at all due to the low water. Looks like we’ll need to continue searching for the more exciting river crossing. We'll find a spot where one of these bikes will drown eventually, I'm sure. While this one was easy, it was still fun for some reason.
    [​IMG]
  4. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    yeah, boss... whatta ride!....:freaky
  5. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sitting here behind the desk at work loving this RR. Keep it coming!
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Nice! N. :lurk
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The two tracks would not stop. We were losing our minds!!!
    [​IMG]

A 950cc dirt bike is so fucking dumb.
    [​IMG]

At this point, it seemed like my jaunt across I-80 was a figment of my imagination. Like it didn’t even really take place! Crazy.
    [​IMG]

I believe we were averaging a little over 200 miles a day on these two tracks. That seemed like a pretty comfortable pace.
    [​IMG]

Getting later in the day, at this point we hopped on a short stretch of pavement into Evanston.
    [​IMG]

Then it was onto one last stretch of dirt as we approached Park City, Utah.
    [​IMG]

Blurry was close to home at this point so we slapped a high five and I headed up through old town Park City to climb up over the Wasatch Mountains and descend into Salt Lake.
    [​IMG]

Some rain had moved through recently but the weather was about perfect when I rolled through. I descended down toward Salt Lake.
    [​IMG]
  8. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    sick.. . I was driving along eying all of that 2 track. Just crazy the amount of pipelines and pipeline roads through there. Trip looks epic. Been thinking for years about getting one of the longer travel ADVs. Same basic thing as the 400lb dirtbike but 50 more lbs and you don't have to mail that butt ass ugly windshield back :D

super enduro looks completely sick though...
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Do it Diesel!! You'll have the perfect quiver then.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The story should’ve been over at this point except for my neighbor who I’ve become quite neighborly with. This is a shot of her on a ‘no boyz allowed’ ride with her trouble maker girl friend. She wants to ride.
    [​IMG]
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting.
  13. mathews42

mathews42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR! I think I'll go for a ride on my SE this weekend :)
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We decided that she should hop on her roomates KX450 and I’d do one more day of riding with her. My bike was still ready to go and my gear still stinking badly, so, why not?
    [​IMG]

Back up into the Wasatch Mountains. Half way up the canyon, it looked like we may encounter a little shower as we ascended up to the crest so we put some extra gear on.
    [​IMG]

Wow, totally gorgeous day!! A little shower had just moved through. Lara likes how fast the 450 goes!!
    [​IMG]

We make the pass and start down the east side watching the rain move farther off to the east.
    [​IMG]

Now we’re onto dirt. Just smooth gravel roads, nothing too challenging. I don’t want Lara to thrash up her roomate’s bike!!
    [​IMG]

It’s kind of fun to have a little loop that me and the neighbor can do right out of the neighborhood!
    [​IMG]

Lara likes the front wheel-minimalist camp chair technique. Perfect for a lunch break.
    [​IMG]

We start to descend into American Fork after lunch.
    [​IMG]

The 450 suits Lara just fine for this type of route. It’s a bit heavy for more technical stuff.
    [​IMG]

After descending quite a bit we hit the pavement heading back into the valley.
    [​IMG]

The last stretch goes over what’s known as ‘Corner Canyon’. This used to be a little gem of an area to ride dirt bikes with a criss cross maze of trails, challenging hill climbs, and even a little backwoods moto track. The Widowmaker hill climb event was held down here also. It’s been subdivided and now has houses all over. So much for our little backyard roosting zone. At least the city of Draper has done extensive work to put in a bunch of mountain biking trails.
    [​IMG]
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So, that’s it, a weeks worth of riding on the Super Enduro. Not overly adventurous but a good solid outing is how I look back on it.

I’ve owned the Super Enduro for three years now. It wasn’t until my 1400 mile stretch on I-80 on this trip that I fully realized it’s versatility.

In my opinion, it is not ‘good to go’ right from the factory. You need to do a little work on these bikes before they are ready for abuse.

There are two crucial issues that need to be taken care of so you won’t find yourself stranded:
    1. Water Pump Shaft - a groove will get worn in the shaft and start leaking at the seal. Get the harder shaft from CJ Designs.
    2. Electric Fuel Pump - prone to failure. I chose to go with a vacuum operated pump. Even if this pump fails you can fill the tank up and fuel will flow through the pump into the carbs with gravity alone.

I did a number of other things to the bike which aren’t crucial but all have their importance in my opinion.

• Steel oil filter instead of paper
    • Reusable air filter
    • Two into one exhaust modification (with pipe removed, .5 gallon Old Crow fits perfect!)
    • Remove all emissions crap (canister, catalytic converter, etc) I gutted the stock pipe
    • Compression valve mods to allow more oil flow in front forks
    • Oversized pegs
    • Kickstand relocation so you don’t crack the case if you slam a rock
    • Shave the seat foam down A LOT!!
    • Oversized Safari Tank
    • Removable wind shield
    • Aluminum bark busters

You’re not going to pound whoops like a CR250 with the Super Enduro. You will take it WAY more places than your bros will go on their big touring bikes. Sand? No worries. Rivers? Well, we haven’t drowned them yet. Single track? Hell yeah!! You might even find yourself flying off things now and then!!
    [​IMG]
  16. mathews42

mathews42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice report I enjoyed it very much!
  17. Westy99

Westy99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report. Did nothing but enhance my lust for a 950 SE. :lol3
  18. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

fap fap fap :d
  19. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Great report.....I too secretly long for a SE 950.
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :lurk