F800GS - More Problems with mine, lets hear about yours....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Lost Roadie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    .:kboom
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    So I guess we won't be seeing you in Death Valley this weekend...

I'll pour one out for you.
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    We will have tow ropes and beer.

Of course I may be worthless and need help myself.
    My wheel bearings out back seem crunchy. My dealer says it's not time yet. "They are fine."
    I've got a spare set just in case.
  4. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    So does BMW charge more for their new bikes to pay for fixing their sold bikes?
  5. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    I notice you ride pretty hard. What's your mileage if you had to guess? on-road? off?

sucks the yeller beast let you down. I've just had the basics (axle, bearing, radiator hose), but all covered and fixed promptly by my dealer. not to get to koolaid-y but my dealer is seriously the best I've ever seen.
  6. dave61

dave61 n00b

Oddometer:
    What was the cause of the oil leak? Was it the stock chain that broke or after market?
    Have had starting issues with my 800 when new, was a fuel issue. Could spray starter fluid down intake and it would run. After starting with starter fluid a few time it would run OK. Maybe a fuel injection issue. Has not been an issue for the last eight thousand miles. Maybe it fixed its self.
    Rode the Great divide ride, 2792 miles mainly off road. Beat up fork bearings and knocked front wheel out of round a little. Have slight wobble from front wheel at the moment. Need to tighten spindle fork bearing a little more.
    Planning on leaving for Inuvik mid may, when did you hit the Dempster? thanks......David
  7. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of all your problems. I had a simular experence with a first year 950 KTM. A lot of things but it always got me home. I sold it at 35 K and got a F800GS .

I have 15 K on it now. My problems

Caught the rear wheel bearings before they got real bad. Warrenty.

Front axel-Warrenty

Hoses-Warrenty -But I changed out the clamps because I do not trust the Beemer clamps.

Valve cover leak ( slight ) -Fixed my self when I checked the valves myself.

Fuel Pump craped out- Lucky not too far from dealer-warrenty

Run out of gas twice-Needs biger tank. Mabey stressing fuel pump ?

Bent front wheel- My foult- hit rock-- But Wheels are soft- Will replace with an Excell soon.

I will also replace my chain soon.

I am somewhat happy with the bike but know that I need spares or need to know how to work around these problems if on a trip.

Does any one know of a aftermarket fuel pump fix that I could carry on a trip ?

Thanks -Ken
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the valve cover leak, and front and rear wheel bearing failures. No other funky shit yet though. Slight coolant leak from an upper bolt on the water pump the other day though, which I thought was odd. We'll see how that plays out once I'm riding more. Dealer fixed the v/c leak no problem (well, there was some drama involved that required a return visit, but it was an honest mistake). No love on the other issues.
    Woody's is doing up some wheels for me so I can roll on somethign round this year, which will be nice for a change.... and my rear hub was too tight in the bearing bore, which he also sorted out.
  9. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I have 20,000km in one year on my 800.

I really like it,but of course it is not perfect.

Problems:
    1. Rear wheel bearings … destroyed the originals by 10,000 km, replaced with SKF's, lasted 5,000km, just replaced with “Original” BMW bearings, but 2<sup>nd</sup> set of SKF's are ok, and I will keep them as spares. I am out of pocket buying and fitting the SKF's but at one stage BMW Australia couldn't supply the bearings. I will be writing to them soon and pointing this out. :tough
    2. Front Axle – replaced under warranty
    3. Top Radiator hose – replaced under warranty, but the new part is still too short and leaked so it has a dealer approved jubilee clamp, problem seems solved.
    4. Fuel level sender – seemed fine but replaced under warranty, seems pretty accurate to me.
    5. Valve cover gasket leak – very slight – apparently fixed by dealer while doing valve check. I think they really "all do that!"
    6. Have a small bend in front wheel, have replaced the original fork springs with Hyperpro's – much better. I will soon do the rear spring as well.
    7. Chain – just replaced the original chains and sprockets with Regina kit. I didn't have any big problems with the original chain, but a friend had his break at 4,500km (replaced under warranty).
    I don't have any really big issues with this as I have been treated well … except for the wheel bearings, I still have some unfinished business there.

As I said I really like the bike, but if I could change a few things I would like better more progressive suspension as standard, wider gear ratios, better screen and seat. I don't suppose anyone at BMW Motorad is listening? … hmmn thought not!
  10. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    my valve/rocker cover gasket went at just over 16,000km... replaced no questions/dramas etc under warranty...

had no other issues, just put my 3rd back tyre on and bearings and chain are still fine....:clap

[​IMG]
  11. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    In relative terms, the only thing I think is inexcuseable is the cheap ass chain and crappy forks (takes the crown from my 610 Husky).
    The 800 dirty laundry list is still shorter than my 950 Adventure's was. And take a quick look over in thumpers at the 690 thread. It's all part of the Euro experience !
    We're in good company fellas. :lol3
    D37DesertScrambler likes this.
  12. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    yeah, i have no problem... and to me it largely looks like the main problem is really with the North American $dealers.....

take your bike to Australia.... sure we get one year shorter warranty...... but at least they honour it.............................!:D
  13. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bent the side stand the first few hundred out but, other than that nothing. Nada. In 30000kms. Is it Karma, Chi? Have you been bad?
    Seriously, I'm stunned and would not wish your problems on my worst enemy, if I had one. Let's all wish Chi good luck from here on in. He obviously needs it!
  14. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ChiTown, the exact same thing just happened to me!! Battery failure. It wouldn't even take or hold a charge anymore. Glad to hear it was something simple. I know I was relieved when I was told it was just the battery!:clap :clap

The BMW tech at my dealer said that BMW's, due to the complex electrical and computer systems on the bike, rely on constant 12v throughput through the electrical system. Including the battery. He said that when the battery fails or gets really low, all sorts of odd things can happen, including erroneous fuel injection timing, air/fuel mixture, and spark timing. Head and tail lights will pulse. Etc.

Quick question, when you tried to restart the bike after it died, were some weird things happening? Like speedo and tach needles pulsing? Thanks.
  15. Gringa

Gringa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question, what number battery does this puppy use?, not in the manual and have not yet taken it out, thanks
  16. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Also, real quick..... regarding my battery failure. BMW said they'd warranty it, however, my dealer didn't have a battery in stock. They said it would take two weeks to get one in. :baldy

So, I ended up buying my own. Walmart/EverStart ES-14BS - AGM Sealed Maintenance Free (Made by GS Battery, American sister company to Yuasa). It requires you to add the sulfuric acid yourself (which is really easy), and charge it.

Battery: $65
    Automatic 12v Charger/Maintainer: $20

Added acid, charged it, dropped it in, bike runs great now.:thumb
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    QUOTE=Gringa]Question, what number battery does this puppy use?, not in the manual and have not yet taken it out, thanks[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart/EverStart/GS ES-14BS $65

Yuasa YTX14-BS $90-150 (depending on where you look)

I suggest the Wal-Mart/Everstart, it is the exact same battery as the Yuasa only cheaper:

http://www.gsbattery.com/ps-products/applicationguide.html

[​IMG]

I contacted GS Battery. They confirmed that the ES-14BS is the same at the Yuasa YTX-14BS.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    a sealed agm battery should not require you to fill it?

19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    The exact same battery or the exact same size? You do realize there is a difference, right? :huh
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Joe,

Had the same thing happen with my 1200GS. Rode to a meeting. Came out, turned on the bike and next to nothing. Replaced under warranty BUT . . .

with the kind of riding you do and the places you go, you might wanna think about replacing your battery with an Odyssey. My problem with the BMW battery is that it dies a sudden death with no warning. I want my battery to give a hint that it's going.