Prospective ADV rider, off-roading in CT?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by bmwpowere36m3, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Liza

Liza Dirty Girl Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, you should decide what type of riding you'd like to do? What about budget?
    Are you planning to take weekend-long "adventure" rides? Or are you trying to find local single-track?
    As was suggested earlier, different bikes are suited for different things. Also, There are plenty of other choices if you are willing to look outside the KLR/DR/DRZ box.

Start by taking a a look at some bikes, sitting on them, and what sings to you.
  2. Richklr650

Richklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yaaa what Liza said....... go sit and try some of this bikes i myself have 3 bikes 09 lkx250s nice little d/s trail bike with 6 speeds,so it can do some highway and not a problem on street, can do single track no problem, 09 klr 650 if i know im going on long adventure rides,dirt road exploring,can do single track i have done it just not the tough tight stuff and my trusty 08 honda xr650l, the does it all d/s not bad on the road or highway awesome on dirt roads and can do single track....... good luck
  3. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Get the DR650. You don't yet know what kind of off-pavement riding you like best cuz ya haven't done it yet so how could you. As good a compromise as any. All the 650 singles are compromises, to much for serious trail use, too little for major highway use. Get it, ride it, decide if that's good for you or if you want to go up or down in size/weight.

I am leaning toward the DR as it is a little better on the trail than the KLR and you already ride street. IIRC, DRZs got some upgrades as of 2002 so don't go for '01 or earlier, but if I have that wrong I expect someobdy here will correct me.

For a first dirt ride WHY make the effort to go "outside the box". The more common bikes are easy to obtain parts & service for, are economical having been manufactured with large production runs for many years, and generally have a good choice of aftermarket accesories and/or an established body of knowledge as to how to make things work. Don't make this harder than it is.

No need to go exotic on a learning and/or try-it-to-see-if-you-like-that-kind-of-riding bike.
  4. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    I didn't see "exotic" anyplace:huh

I get KTM and Husky parts as fast or faster than any Japanese parts...and they're easier to work on, as well as being far better performing/holding up better to dirt use.

I agree that a 50/50 bike would likely suit you well right now...but there's more to life than KLR650's and DR650's and XR650L's:deal

"dirt noob" thread in thumpers
  5. goofus

goofus Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer:
    To the OP...

In general, there's many many miles of dirt roads in State Forests to get started on. Get some miles on the clock, then start hanging out with other riders. You'll inevitably find some local unmaintained (legal) roads and lesser-known paths that doesn't trigger an automatic 911 call from locals. Make connections, build trust. Dual-sport riders are FAR better off compared to troubles the Jeep/4x4 and ATV communities face.

Bike- depends on your bodily dimensions and how far away your target riding areas are. I'm 150lbs and 5' 10"- a 250 is nice and light for me with enough displacement for the mass on top it, but the KLX250S I'm on is not exactly fun to ride for an hour at steady speeds of 50-60mph. I live in the middle of all my riding areas, so no need for highway concerns. Perfect on trails, though. It's a balance. Go ride a bunch of different bikes and one will stick to you. Eventually you'll end up with a trail bike and another more pavement-worthy bike.

Also consider what you get for the price in a trail-oriented bike: electric start is cheating- but really nice, fuel injection is just awesome to turn the key and go. But you can't knock the simplicity of a kick-start, air-cooled bike. Again, a balance. Next to KLX250S I got, the WR250R was the next candidate along with a few different Husqvarnas. The 2013 CRF-250L looks really nice, too.

Kind of hard to mess it up. Get a new bike, its like Christmas morning every day you take it out.

Gear is another consideration- summer is easy, spring and winter definitely drop the $ on waterproof & breathable gloves and boots.
  6. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to budget 2-3k on just the bike for now. Like mentioned, if I like d/sing I can sell it down the road for something better. I think based on what was mentioned here for riding areas (mostly central and northern CT), I'm looking at a 1-2 hr commute to just find some good off-roading.
  7. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Yeah, don't make it a big project to find the highest performance bike made, when you're not even sure what kind of riding you will end up doing, or if you even like it.

In general, and not just for bikes (but especially for bikes) "performance" is at odds with both price and longevity. You won't be competitive in "A" or even "B" level Enduro on a DRZ when KTMs predominate around here. And you won't even make it around the course on either a KLR 650 or DR 650.

But you're not racing (yet) and to just try things out with a lot of pavement in the mix, the typical inside-the-box bikes have been popular for good reason. Cheap, long-lived, decent service intervals. Don't be led astray by the bike snobs. For price versus age-mileage-condition you will do fine with any of the standard basic bikes you have been considering.
  8. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    So sayeth the bike snob from atop his exotic KTM. :rolleyes
  9. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plan is to see a few of these bikes (DRZ, XRL & DR) this weekend to get a better idea of what I want.

bobnoxious67 I appreciate your view, but for now not knowing if I'll like D/S'ing and what kind of riding I'll be doing for sure... I'd rather start on a cheaper and more available machine.
  10. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    And I support that opinion and decision.

Just don't let your judgement on "knowing if I'll like D/S'ing and what kind of riding I'll be doing" be decided by the bike you choose to buy (if you buy a heavy under-acheaver, you may "decide" dirt riding sucks) :deal

Good luck, and hope to see you on the trails soon :thumb
  11. Richklr650

Oddometer:
    imo those 3 bikes will doo single track but not as well in the tight nasty stuff ... i take my 08 xr650l on single track and do ok with it you might find yourself enjoying the larger d/s riding .. i know that when i go out im always looking for some new stuff dirt roads and single track
  12. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in milford ct. The only legal places for single-track type riding are Thomaston Dam and Patchaug State Forest. Bike needs street registration for Patchaug and ct-atv reg for thomaston. Others may have secret areas or private land but those I listed are public. Those two areas are 1 hr and 2 hrs from you. Join Netra or Pathfinders and ride turkey runs to get more areas to ride. They get the trail set, provide parking, provide sweep riders and often feed you at the end of the day. Well worth it to open up other areas and ride with other folks. The hammer run in souther NJ is a good 2-day ride. Search this site for more info.

I had an xr400 which was too heavy for me to enjoy much single track. If I got another bike for that it would be something like a ktm200. I'm 56 and in very average shape. If you're young and strong you can moose around a bigger bike. It's not fun.

For DS with emphasis on dirt, a KLR650 or other mid-weight bike is fine. And there are miles of roads as have been explained (TMT, PDR, etc.)

I have a r1200gs now and stick to asphalt and dirt roads in good shape. No baby-head rocks for this bike.

--Kevin
  13. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I got the chance to ride 2 DRZs, a DR650 and sit on a KLR650. I think the KLR650 is not the bike for me right now... The DRZs were fun and light. The DR650 had a lower seat than the DRZs and had more torque down low and felt just as nimble on the road.

I'm leaning towards the DRZ.
  14. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    choose wisely.....It wouldn't hurt to throw your leg over a few more rides, bikes you woudn't even consider just to see for yourself the range of what's available.:freaky
  15. Richklr650

Oddometer:
    well get on it what are you waiting for:evil
  16. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you’re saying... but if you can name some that would be helpful. I was thinking about maybe a KTM/Husky but those are really just dirt bikes with lights and $$. I think for an entry level, starter DS bike the DRZ will work, but who knows... maybe I'll find in 6 months that it’s not for me. The good thing is they sell well, so I won't get stuck with it or lose much on it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I was going to also look at a XR650L, but I've read its similar to the DR650. I would say, just riding around on paved roads the DR650 was more refined and had better road manners (though it did have DS tires, i.e. not very knobby). The DRZ was a little more raw... needed to be revved more, taller seat, noisier, and a little rough on the road (both examples had knobbies).
  17. bobnoxious67

Oddometer:
    KTM and Husky both make 50/50 dual sports also...they are certainly way higher performance that their Japanese counterparts, but not "dirt bikes with lights" (they sell those also :deal).

Example: I purchased a 2006 Husqvarna TE610 (in 2008) with 4000 miles on it for $4000. 3000 mile oil changes and 6000 mile valve lash inspections, weighed 310 lbs, had a foot of suspension travel at each end, a wide ratio 6 speed transmission (allowing for low speed off roading and 75 mph highway cruising), 50 hp with pumper carb and free flowing exhaust (from factory), outstanding brakes, passenger pegs, was reliable, etc...there are options.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with a DRZ or DR650...but honestly I like a 98-99 DR350 better than either one of those ( especially with a 441 kit and pumper carb).
  18. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  19. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ??? Am I missing something?
  20. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Humor......

....as far as choosing wisely, i'm referring to not getting a hiway bike to run nimble trails. or getting a woods weapon to run the interstate. it's easy to do when you get overwhelmed with info, and you just give up and buy what's in front of you at the time. :freaky

this is a great quote, but if you could define the type of terrain you want to bias toward, it would help inmates offer more specific models to check into. maybe some physical description also: such as over 60 and 3 packs a day Harry or 25 yr old ex-marine blah blah blah.....:lol3

:lurk