West Fest ’08 – on my way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Land, Jul 19, 2008.

1. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I'm glad they were "simple" biffs...........
    :lurk

Beautiful pics....I really do need to go ride those passes for myself.
  2. NewHampWoodsRider

NewHampWoodsRider Tag Captor

Oddometer:
    Wow!!

Riding in those mountains must be Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely will have to make it out there!!!

Great pictures!

What do you shoot with?
  3. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Hi Chris, got home tonight after riding three days post WF with an expert guide. :clap
    Hope you've made it home or are close. Dean
  4. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I left Telluride headed for Lake City after putting a little JB Kwik on the most obvious crack in the valve cover (thanks, SRA for the loan of the JB; I won't be leaving home without some again:lol3 ).

I decided to take a road route back to Lake City. I figure that if I had to resort to a tow, I'd probably be better off having a truck pick me up from the side of a highway rather than on Cimnnamon Pass or Ophir Pass.

In the 140 or so miles back to Lake City, the GS blew out 2.5 quarts of oil.:eek1 I kept stopping and checking it and adding oil. I routed through Montrose and up 50.

I came up behind Medicine Creek and a couple of other advriders on US 50 and followed them for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had decide to take the Blue Mesa Cutoff to get back to Lake City, so I turned onto it. It was a fun route. Fast and smooth with good sights along the way. Take a look.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the oil all down the side? My boot and lower pants leg were also drenched.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was coming to the end of the road and back to the highway, who did I see? The Medicine Creek gang.:lol3
    [​IMG]

I missed the meal and the WestFest closing ceremonies, so you'll have to go elsewhere for those pics.

The next morning I took the valve cover off and patched it. You've already seen those pics.

Here's the bike loaded to head home.
    [​IMG]

A mile from that spot, I knew that I wasn't put of the woods yet. The bike was leaking badly. :waysad

I went to the car wash on the way out of Lake City and washed the bike to get a better look at the actual source of the leak. It was leaking around the bolt. I tried silicone. I called my dad and told him I was waiting on some silicone to cure some and told him the story. He said, "You shoulda used JB Weld.":photog He was right.:lol3 It leaked all the way to Poncha Springs, near Salida, where I decidedf to stop in with katbeanz and Larry and use the JB. I patched it and accepted their hospitality to spend Sunfday night with them. (Thanks , Dean and Larry.:clap ) We went to dinner with RamZ.
    Afte breakfast the next morning, Larry and katbeanz headed out to ride with RamZ and a friend of his and I started heading for home, hoping the JB had sealed the oil leak.
    It's not pretty, but it has held for 2000 plus miles.:clap If I had been smart enough to check/adjust the valves while I had the cover off Sunday to patch it from the inside, I would just leave it for another 4k.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

katbeanz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped by Hayduke's shop, but I was too late Sunday and too early Monday. :cry I'll order my new "Safety Third" stuff from the website.
    [​IMG]

I headed out of town on US 50, which runs along the Arkansas River.:clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since the JB weld was holding the oil in:clap , I decided to run over Skyline Drive in Canon City and up Phantom Canyon Road east of town.

Skyline Drive
    [​IMG]

This rig was in Canon City.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phantom Canyon Road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went about halfway up Phantom Canyon Road and turned around when I saw a sign stating that there was roadwork ahead.

I got back on the highway and headed east.
    [​IMG]

"I'm just a gigilo...":lol3
    [​IMG]

I met this guy, Lynn (Len?) at the Kansas Welcome Center. We talked about common interests, then headed back out on the highway. It was nice to meet you, Lynn, and I hope that the rest of your trip to your father's 88th b-day celebration was a good one. I'd love to see those Ossas, Bultacos, etc., some day.:nod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a new tire in Wichita... (Thanks, Mid America Powersports!)
    [​IMG]

And routed myself toward my sister's place near Huntsville, AL.

The route took me through Tulsa.
    [​IMG]

They love me in Oklahoma.:lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped at a Motel 6 in Van Buren, AR, where I met advrider evedrake (Heidi), a BMWMOA Aambassador who was participating in the SPANK Rally. She had done a lot of riding in a few days, including a Reno to Atlanta to Florence, Alabama, run -- 1700-plus miles:eek1 :clap -- in about 36 hours on her F650GS, "Scout."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrived at my sister's place Tuesday afternoon and enjoyed a visit with her, my brother-in-law Carl, niece Emma and nephew Hank.:clap
    [​IMG]

Hank, who is five, drew this for me within a few minutes after I arrived.:D
    [​IMG]

We looked at some pictures.
    [​IMG]

They seem to have lost me in Alabama.:lol3
    [​IMG]

I headed for home and bypassed Atlanta.
    [​IMG]

It was good to be back on my native soil.
    [​IMG]

I rode by the house and my wife's car wasn't there, so I started heading out the route I knew she'd be driving home on to meet her on the road. She called a few seconds later, and I stopped and answered the phone. She was just a few minutes out, and I decided to head to the house and wait for her in the driveway. While I was waiting, I noticed a note on my DR650 and checked it out. To make a long story short, I am probably buying a Ural for a very good deal.:wings

While I waited for Mary Elizabeth to arrive home, I also took some final trip photos.

Home, sweet home.
    [​IMG]
    Back where she started.
    [​IMG]

Total trip mileage (not counting several hundered miles in a U-Haul and in a rental car -- and not counting the distances I rode CCRyder's and katbeanz's bikes. Incidentally, my real top speed was 103. I don't know why it sometimes shows a speed I didn't do.:scratch ).
    [​IMG]

Mary Elizabeth arrived.
    [​IMG]
    It's a wonder I ever leave home.:clap
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining me on the trip. I hope you enjoyed the report.

All the best,
    Chris
  5. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    NHWR,

I shot a Nikon D1X (borrowed, essentially) -- mostly with the 80-200 lens on 200 -- and my little Sony Sureshot point-n-shoot (nearly 5 years old). I'm going to have to give the Nikon up soon, though.:cry

All the best,
    Chris
  6. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Dean,

I made it home yesterday (Thursday) with no further trouble. I'm glad you and Larry made it safely back and had a good time.:clap

All the best,
    Chris
  7. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Kevin,

Nothin' hurt but my pride. And a valve cover. And a couple of turn signal lenses. And a PIAA grill. Oh, and there's a small ding in the tank from the PIAA.:lol3

And, yes, you do need to ride those passes. Take the DR -- though YOU could probably ride them on your Yammy tour bike.:lol3

All the best,
    Chris
  8. sandmar

sandmar llama llama..rabbit

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us :bow Also,glad you are home safe and sound. Hope to see you at NCN08 if not before :clap
  9. gooseofdeuce

gooseofdeuce aLandBro

Oddometer:
    so, now you're back we can do a Saddlesore ride, documented. i like this icon.:drums
  10. gypsyrr

gypsyrr undiscovered

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris. I just found your report. I'm glad I got to meet you. Your photos are really great! Inspiring, even. Your attitude with all the hassles you encountered is encouraging. Thanks for helping me at Westfest!

I love the photo of the deer running. Really great!
  11. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Kristi,

Thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting you. You know, sometimes you gotta pay to play. (And in this case, pay and pay and pay.:lol3) I decided a long time ago that it is just more simple to roll with the punches when you can. Sometimes, I even remember that decision.:lol3

All the best,
    Chris
  12. InfoManiac

InfoManiac Always Learning

Oddometer:
    Great report, Chris!

Looking forward to the next time our paths cross.

:beer
  13. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Chris. :thumb Good to see you out west, and I'll look forward to our next chance meeting on the BRP. :augie
  14. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to katbeanz for getting this photo that Larry took on our ride.:evil
    [​IMG]

All the best,
    Chris
  15. jeffersonrider

jeffersonrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Land for the great narration, photos and moto-vation. These posts help aleviate the cabin fever that sets in around this time of year.