Kenda K784 Big Block Tires

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Griz, Jan 19, 2011.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might give these a try the Spring. Kenda just released 'em, and they're just starting to trickle into the dealers. They're lots cheaper than Continental TKC80s or Metzeler Karoo Travelers (as of right now anyway). They actually have the 150/70-17 and 90/90-21 sizes available. They look VERY promising.

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/dual-sport/big-block.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.swmototires.com/index.ph...&category_id=280&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

$121.91 150/70-17, no price on the 90/90-21 front yet, but will probably be $90 or so.
  2. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I've heard mixed reports on whether these will be offered in a 140/80-17.
    I've got my fingers crossed.
    I have a couple of good Kenda suppliers that are local.
    They look promising.
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Those look really cool but I doubt you can do much highway with them, those knobs spaced far from center will wear rapidly
  4. The Griz

Oddometer:

TKC80:
    [​IMG]

Karoo T:
    [​IMG]

Big Block:
    [​IMG]

Look pretty similar if not the same with spacing to me. I'm willing to bet they'll produce similar mileage results to the TKC80 and Karoo T.
  5. Bushav8r

Bushav8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would definitely give those tires a try. In fact I think I will as soon as I burn the rubber off the tires I have now. Thanks for the info.
  6. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have already asked a Cycle Gear guy about the new Kenda......"like OMG what is that".......so I guess it's going to be a while.

But I would get a set.
  7. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes
    How do you know that? Do you know what compound they're using? That's a bold statement from some one who's only seen them online.
  8. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Griz... your powers of deduction astound... I mean amuse me.

First of all please observe the wide double row of knobbies on the Kenda.

Then casually observe the TKC and Karoo tires. You may notice their knobbies are not only closer together axially but also do not include double wide radial pairs.

Therefore we can clearly see a disadvantage in tarmac longevity. The only way to really know will be to test in real life so as to take into account factors such as durometer, carcass stability and road conditions.

:freaky
  9. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Let me rephrase, since you're getting pissy about it:

"I'd be willing to bet that they'll wear no different than the TKC80 or Karoo T".

There, is that better? Just stating how I think these tires will wear, man. Chill.
  10. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't see these 'huge' differences you're trying to point out here.

Let's just leave the speculation out of this for now.

When people start getting them on their bikes and a few thousand miles on them, then we can speculate.:deal
  11. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't see why a company doesn't make a tire with an almost solid strip down the center and knobs on the side. Similiar to the 908
  12. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Even though you're using a lot of 'amusing' terms like 'axially', 'radial', and 'durometer', the fact is that these three tires are not much different at all. Lug size, lug depth, and space between lugs looks pretty much the same. The only noticeable difference I'm seeing is in the pattern. In the contact strip you're talking about when you speak of 'pavement durability', the TKC80 and Karoo T are both patterned 1-2-1-2 with the lugs. The 1's being red, and 2's being blue. The Big Blocks are patterned 1-2-2-1-2-2.

[​IMG]

My opinion is that wear is not going to be much different between the two. And if it does end up that it is, it won't be from the lug pattern, it'll be from the compound.:deal

These lug patterns between the three are too closely related for the lug pattern to be a factor between them in mileage, even though you want it to be, Ender.

The main reason I posted this thread is because it's basically a cheaper TKC80 or Karoo T. But we'll see how the compound wears. I know I'll be trying the Big Blocks. I'll report.
  13. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    I just added a set of these to my current order with my Kenda distributor and should have them Friday. I've run the TKC80's and I've run the Heidenau K60's. I'm curious to see what these will feel like and how long they will wear.
  14. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    if you come back and report they kick ass on the K60's both on tar and off road....I will buy them too! but they have to last at least 20,000 KM:wink:
  15. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Nice! Report back after install. Take some pics of them mounted up if you can!:D
  16. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

By your own math, one has 50% center knobbies and the other 33%. A difference of 17% which is statistically significant in anyone's book. Most scientific studies consider 5% statistically significant but I can be lenient and go with 10%. I am with you however, an empirical test would be best and I look forward to your report. :ear
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, let's wait for an actual report.
  18. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    LOL... then what else would you have to say? How many other people have called you out on your opinion-posed-as-fact posts? Then again.... this is why message boards like these have ignore lists. Easy fix.

Back on topic....
    I'm thinking of picking a set of these for the wife's F8GS since she doesn't super slab it much. I'll have to post up a comparo with these and the TKC front/K60 rear combo on my F8GS once I can get a set mounted up on her bike. It's good to see some new players in this tire segment.
  19. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been following a thread over in the boxers area for a while
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643297
    There is an inmate that just got a set mounted. Go towards the end.. notice how much wider it is comapred with a tkc of the same size.. He also states that 3 people working together could not get it mounted... very stiff.
  20. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by MonsterJ [​IMG]
    LOL... then what else would you have to say? How many other people have called you out on your opinion-posed-as-fact posts? Then again.... this is why message boards like these have ignore lists. Easy fix.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    I forgot to put my *opinion* disclaimer for folks like you who get their panties in a bunch. People make mistakes/typos sometimes my friend. You'll notice that in that same post of mine the you're SO freaking worked up about that I also phrased the same point in a more opinion/non-fact manner.

Please ignore me, then I won't have to deal with your sensitive needs anymore!

Here's a couple of posts you've recently made that are nice examples of opinion-posed-as-fact:

In this post you're clearly not aware of the the fact that there's more to a tubeless tire than just the bead itself, though you phrase your opinion as thought it is fact:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=415

In this post you pose your opinion that that the reason Heidenau is having delays getting the 150/70-17 K60 to market is because testing went bad in Africa, though we do not know for sure that is the case:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=425

So you see my friend, you're not practicing what you're preaching. Now stop muddying-up this thread.