Moving to Lawton, OK

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by redleger, Jan 17, 2013.

1. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Ok dirt riders admin never allowed me access. I think it might be an inactive forum now.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
  2. redleger

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know any off road training schools that arent in another state. I can't find any on google. I was supposed to take on here but my kid got sick, and I ended up being a no show, and lost the money, they wouldn't even put me on a different date even though there were open slots. Well as my time to move gets closer, I am looking for one for me and my daughter to attend. It is a requirement for me because I am in the Army, and the standard street course apparently is not enough because I don't ride a standard street bike.

Any input would be helpful. I don't have a MX bike, so MX school won't work. Just your standard trail/Dualsport school for advanced riders and beginners would be perfect.

Thanks in advance
  3. redleger

Oddometer:
    Dave you wanna rent that house out? I just arrived and I am in the market immediately.

Hopefully I will have my bike soon and be able to go riding.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
  4. redleger

Oddometer:
    I knew I should have put the bikes in the truck. The movers jacked up the DR. Looks like they dropped it off the back of the truck, and they pulled the fuel hoses on both, even though I was specifically told I didn't need to drain them.

The DRZ is leaking from the bottom of the carb. Looks like someone was jacking around with more than the fuel hose on that one. This weekend instead of riding, I will be pulling them both apart, and fixing them up hopefully.

On that note, who's up for some dual sport riding assuming I get the DR up by next weekend?
  5. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    There used to be a place on Ft. Sill itself, on the section of the post east of I-44 along the south boundry road, where I would often see dirtbikers tearing it up on some trails. No idea if it's still there or not.

Might be worth a look see.
  6. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. redleger

Oddometer:
    I have heard that, however that is the first thing I did when I arrived was go look. How long ago were you seeing this? I don't sign in to my unit till next week, so I don't have anyone to ask yet.
  8. redleger

Oddometer:
    OH, and if anyone has a spare TM28 or TM33 pumper carbs laying around, I am in the market. The movers damaged the bowl on my BSR32 thus pushing up my timeline to buy a new carb. I was planning on it once I got settled in anyway, but now I have to sooner rather than later, so I can ride. The fuel drain screw was over tightened by the movers apparently and from my understanding, you can not just buy a new bowl.
  9. Heyload

Oddometer:
    It was back in the late 80's. I looked at the post the other day on Google maps, and saw what looks to be a large dirt area about where I recall it being...I think it was called the "Pig Farm" or something like that. It's on the south boundry road as you head out to the east range...or was, anyhow.
  10. KrAzyOSUcOwBoY

KrAzyOSUcOwBoY kRaZy

Oddometer:
    No riding at the "Pig Farm", stopped many years ago, in fact no dirt riding on Ft Sill anywhere these days. Cross Timbers (Lake Stanley Draper) OKC or Red River, north of St Jo, Tex are the closest to Lawton.
  11. redleger

Oddometer:
    well that stinks. Looks like I will be getting familiar with OKC then. Assuming the movers ever come through on the Carb. I heard today that if Ichoose to replace the carb myself, I will probably not get reimbursed.
  12. GP MX Fan

GP MX Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry that I missed your note but I've not checked your thread in awhile. House is rented thankfully.... did you find a house?

I PCS'ed from there last in 2003 and Pig Farm was still open then. Ask around or check with the city of Lawton and see if the dirt bike and ATV area is still open at Lake Ellsworth. It was a decent area and close.
  13. GP MX Fan

Oddometer:
    The Pig Farm was across I-44 past the basic training barracks. Cross over by Key Gate, make the right after you cross the tracks and follow the around around, it will bend left and parallel Roger Lane.
  14. redleger

Oddometer:
    found it on google earth. Looks like a cool place to ride. It's a shame that you cannot right there anymore. The lady at the New commers brief today told me that there is a place in Altus probably near the Air Force Base. I am going to research that some more.
  15. Heyload

Oddometer:
    I don't remember there being any dirtbike riding near the base itself (I left there in 2007), but there was some sort of place off of Hwy 62 over that way around Altus, yeah. Can't think of where, though.
  16. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    There is also riding at Lake Murray. It is a bit farther, almost straight East, but it has camping available, which would be handy if you make a weekend of it.

-Joe
  17. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the CROSSBAR RANCH by Davis OK. I think it is exit 55 off of I-35. Approx 45 min north of lake murray and 1.5 hrs S. of okc. All these areas are fee areas too. Don't forget S.E. OKla. There is also Scipio near Mcalester. Scipio and Crossbar will be the most challenging as they are rocky.
  18. redleger

Oddometer:
    Me and my DR350SET made our first ride in to work extremely early this morning. Finally got the motorcycle safety guy to bless off on my credentials. It was glorious. Had to share.
  19. GP MX Fan

Oddometer:
    Most excellent!!!
  20. redleger

Oddometer:
    So I finally was able to confirm that the pig farm is open for ORV use. However I drove over there today and it looks scary. Seems like a dangerous layout and is not kept up. I think my first trip will be lake murray. If any of you retirees wants to ride there it is open. You gotta go to the conseration station and check in first.