A CannonRide Around the Bend (Big Bend Region)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Mar 4, 2012.

1. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    A big thanks for all the work that went into the ride report and for posting the tracks. Big Bend has been on my bucket list for some time. You have pushed it to the top and provided valuable information to make it happen. The historical information and pictures were top notch. Thanks again. Craig
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Craig. Glad you found it useful. Looking forward to reading about your trip!
  3. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, and I LOVE the history. Thanks.

I read your report kind of wondering if you bumped into one of the area's more famous ADVrider residents, BeemerChef, a.k.a. Ara and Spirit and his rig with a side car. He spends his winters there at his "Oasis" just north of the Big Bend area. He keeps telling me I need to come visit.

Brent
  4. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report. Your writing and touring really captures my imagination. We are headed to Tx next year, may have to duplicate some of your ride.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Tom. I'm sure you will enjoy the area. Glad that the report was entertaining. Hope it also proves helpful for you in planning your own trip.
  6. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, CannonShot, for such a great ride report! NMTrialsGuy and I were there a couple weeks ago and your report made it sooooo much better for us! We had a limited amount of time (this trip, we're already planning to go back in December) and your info really helped us plan where we wanted to go.

We had the BBRSP NE loop for the Cienega and Alamito Lowlands loaded in both our GPS and *still* needed the map from the ranger station. :rolleyes We used the westernmost road (2.9 miles) to Casa Ramon so didn't even get near where the new barrier is to check it out. And of course got gas in Presidio and Study Butte!

Thanks again for all your very hard work!:bow
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you found the report helpful and that you were able to use the information to enhance your trip.

I like to try to make it a little easier for the next guy to plan a trip. Thanks for the nice words and for letting me know it was useful.
  8. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the time and detail you put into this thread cannonshot!
  9. njoytheride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I want to thank Cannonshot once again for the great report. We finally got a chance to ride the Big Bend area. Your ride report made the trip so much better. Knowing the history brought a lot of the areas alive. They we some tough hombres to scratch out a life in such a rough area. Everyone we ran into was great. Something about living in such a harsh area make people get along. [​IMG]
    A local rider showed us this castle a German who bought some land had built. It was in the middle of no where. Kind of makes ya wonder ?
    Thanks again, Craig
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Trying to help out the next guy.

Thanks Craig! I'm glad the report was useful. That castle is pretty interesting!
  11. njoytheride

Oddometer:
    The castle is a real interesting story. Apparently the person from Germany purchased the land and the had some local masons build the castle. He has since passed away and the family back in Germany has no interest in visiting the castle. A local family cares for the castle and from what I've been told when Veterans Day rolls around they hoist Old Glory. Keep in mind the "castle" is about 8' circumference and 16' high.
  12. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    subscribed
    Planning a trip to The Bend this spring.
  13. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...used to be mine before I sold it to our mutual friend. Small world.
  14. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your wonderful ride report is helping me plan my visit to Big Bend this spring.
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I try to write these things to help out the next guy. Hope you have a great trip!
  16. back2thefuture

back2thefuture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Scott, did you know Joe sold it awhile back, and he didn't even ask me if i wanted it!!!:cry
    I'll be in BB area, Jan 6-8 and then again Mar 19-23 on the big bike. '14 BMW GSW1200

If you're in the area, during that time.
    Randy
  17. kiltedcrawford

kiltedcrawford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The week before Christmas I rode down to the Big Bend area from Oklahoma with your tracks loaded up on the GPS.
    Hats off to you for all your hard work on this report. The level of information you've provided is awesome. The country down there is amazing and, thanks to you, I could spend my time concentrating on riding and enjoying the scenery.

I only got to spend three days down there so I've got a good excuse to go back. I think it's a must do for any motorcyclist---whether road, dirt or DS rider.

Thanks again.

kc
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks kc! It is always nice to hear from someone that was able to benefit from the tracks and report. Sounds like you had a nice trip. Like you say, it is a great place to ride.
  19. philipbarrett

philipbarrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read this entire RR again! The telling gets better 2nd time around.
  20. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Since we are all chiming in... I am going to be in big bend using your tracks this Saturday :D thanks! i just hope there is some remote camping open so i can spend some time in peace and quiet