New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are in heavy traffic, coming and going, and feel the need to pass, or like to make double yellow passes. The NC700 is no liter sport bike, it is every bit as good as probably all v-twin cruisers though, a lot of which make their power like the NC. I feel the NC passes very good with a downshift, and gets right up to 75, and doesn't leave me hanging out there looking at an approaching vehicle. Don't expect the NC to show you 90 mph by the time you get to the cab of that semi.

Art
  2. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are kind of making my point for me. Where I live, 30 mph winds are a regularity. Even if it is on an interstate, I don't like to spend any more tine beside a semi, or worse, a cement truck than I have to when passing. If it's OK to offer the DCT for people who might want or need it I don't see the problem with offering a little more oomph besides. You know FMF, Power commander,Akrapovic, etc.. are going to do it so why not Honda and not void yout warranty. I sure like the bike and hope I can test drive one on a windy day because I would like to have one.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Of course not. 50 hp bikes in traffic are deadly and have been killing riders for years. Without a minimum of 95 to 100 hp you have slim to no chance to make a safe pass and Slim just left for home.

Response only slightly tongue in cheek.

Roll-on 40 to 60 mph in top gear, no downshifting, takes tick less than 7 seconds, 60 to 80 in top gear 8.7 seconds.
  4. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seriously? What does that have to do with this bike?
    If OE Manufacturers have reasons not to offer that stuff on supersports, why on earth would they offer them on this commuter?
  5. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    This whole discussion about what it takes to make a "safe pass" is kind of stupid. What is worse is the rider who never learns from his close calls and mistakes.

Art
  6. jcbrandon

jcbrandon Just a guy

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    I rode with three other riders crossing California's Central Valley on secondary roads. Each of us were riding an NC700X; I was on the DCT version. Lots of agricultural equipment, oil field trucks, 18-wheelers, and RVs to pass. We never had an issue. I am the least aggressive rider among that group and was usually toward the back so last to pull out and pass. The limiting factor was me and my nerve, not the bike.
  7. hh1313

hh1313 n00b

Oddometer:
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2nd-gen Wee will do 60 mpg at steady 65 mph, a little less at the more typical 70-75 mph. Fuel capacity is 5.2 so the ultimate range is nearly double what you're quoting. You can drive the Wee's mileage under 40, but you really have to be pushing and pushing the NC just as hard will drive its mileage into the 40's too.

I don't doubt the NC does better on fuel than a Wee, but under identical conditions and driven to the level of the NC's modest performance, its only 5-8 mpg better.

- Mark
  9. Bugz

Bugz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look the stats up on fuelly.com it's quite a bit more than 5-8 mpg difference (on average). Not saying that fuelly.com is scientific evidence but it does give you quite a good idea of average fuel consumption per bike. Seems that not many people are doing 60 mpg on average with the strom

Average V strom; http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/vstrom dl650

Average nc 700; http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x

60 mpg @ 65 also seems a bit too optimisic in my mind. Is this indicated or true speed?

If you take an average fuel consumption 50 mpg, the 650 motor in the NC 700 frame would have a range of around 180 miles.

Anyway. V-strom 650 is a great bike nonetheless.

-Bugz
  10. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, the fuelly numbers make it look more like the difference is more like 13 mpg (overall averages of 52 for the Strom vs. 65 for the Honda). But I'd also point out that the Strom, with its higher hp, is probably being ridden to a greater percentage of its performance potentional. I'd still maintain that in the same service, the actual difference would be less than this - perhaps 8-10 mpg is a more accurate true delta in identical service.

At a steady-state moderate 65 mph (true) speed on flat roads with no wind, 60 mpg is EASILY achievable in a bike that gets 52 mpg overall in mixed/normal use. Of course, the NC would probably be well over 70 mpg.

I was interpreting the earlier comment as what the range of the Strom was, not what it would be with the fuel capacity of the NC. I probably mis-read the earlier comment.

Not to get too carried away with the numbers, my point is just that the mileage difference (whether it is 10 mpg or 15 mpg) is pretty small in the overall scheme of things, so I wouldn't get a NC simply for this reason if there were aspects of the Strom which I liked better. Fortunately, there ARE many aspects of the NC that appeal apart from its good gas mileage. I like the bike.

- Mark
  11. Bugz

Bugz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to admit that goes for me as well :evil I really like the whole efficiency and practical concept of the thing.

Now if Honda would be so kind to put a 700iesh cc diesel turbo engine in and a shaft drive....:norton:freaky. It would be my motorbike for at least 20 years.
  12. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rider magazine road test of the new 2012 V-Strom gives the MPG as 45.1. HP 66.2 and torque 43. Rider has not tested the NC as yet

Cycle world has road tested the NC700X and got mpg's in the high 50's when "flogging" the NC, and got mpg in the 70's when riding for economy. They posted a dyno chart which shows HP of 48 at 6140 RPM and troque of 43.67 at 4680. Shows over 40 LB-FT torque from 2600 RPM's to 6100 RPM's.

Art
  13. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Rider tested the NC700X this month in an article and in a separate article same issue did a three-way with the new WeeStrom and the Versys. Rider found the Suzuki to do 58 mpg and the Honda 64 in the three-way. The Honda was a DCT model and a manual would have done somewhat better in that type of flogging. Rider also tested a demo bike loaded with every Honda accessory and the others were naked which accenuated the weight difference between the heavier Honda and the other two. I am tempted to post something now along the lines of a WC Fields remark when talking to some woman that commented that he was drunk. He replied that he was drunk and also that she was ugly. "In the morning I will be sober and Mame, you will still be ugly." Despite the WeeStrom re-do it is still one ugly motorcycle but on the other hand in the morning it will still have alot more horsepower than the Honda. However, a lot of motorcycles have more horsepower if that is important to the buy decision. The Wee is a great bike with a loyal and devoted following. I have had this discussion on another forum and it's my belief the NC and the Wee aren't really competitors for the same buyers. But obviously I am wrong as there have been several threads from just that kind of buyer comparing the two bikes.
  14. rowdymoose

rowdymoose Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer:
    I totally agree--as a previous Wee owner and current NC owner, there are definitely some similarities, but as you mentioned, they aren't really competitors in my book. I wanted the Wee when I lived in AZ and hit up fire roads more often, and did more long distance riding. Now my life is in the city (SoCal outside LA), and I want a good commuter, with good storage options, and gas mileage is a big benefit (just about anything on 2 wheels is better MPG than a cage, but more is always better with gas over $4.50). I had no issue getting the Wee up to 100+ on occasions, but my drives in SoCal...I doubt I'll ever even attempt that on the NC. Or do I think I'll ever go off-road on it. Not that I don't think it's capable...any bike is in the right hands. Just not my riding style currently. At the end of the day, if you want a Wee...get a Wee, this bike isn't trying to be a Wee...it's doing just fine being in a new category all by itself. :wink:
  15. go.duesouth

go.duesouth Lord of the geeks

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those looking between the vstrom (weestrom) and the NC. I have a maxi-scooter and a WR450 for off road. I've been toying with dumping both and getting one bike that does both. I want to simplify, and my offroad riding style is changing. What used to be hill climbing and rock hopping is giving way to things I could probably do in my truck, at least mostly. I'd like to read from someone who does ride it off road. Any one know of one? Yeah, I know it's not really marketed for that, but I'm still interested because I think it has potential. Kind of leaning to the V, but the MPG, price, storage and better daily driver of the NC pulls me back. 90% of my riding is to work and back, but I'd like a bike that could do country and mountain roads after 100 miles of highway.
  16. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I have a Burgman a DRZ and an NCX. I'm selling the Burg but keeping the DRZ. I do think with the right tires the NC could be used on fire roads and other dirt two tracks.
  17. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket parts do NOT void a warranty unless it can be proven that the aftermarket part caused the problem. Magnuson-Moss.

The manufacturers usually shy away from offering exhaust and fuel modifications that are illegal as per federal law.

Don't like it? Get rid of the EPA and the DOT.
  18. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone be able to compare the seat height for a shorter rider between he NC and the WeeStrom?

I've always wanted to get an '04+ SV650, but with my riding style lately, I would be needing to convert it to more of a Sport Touring rig. I'm trying to decide if it would make more sense to go with one of these two bikes. Being 5'5" comes in to play as well.
  19. go.duesouth

go.duesouth Lord of the geeks

Oddometer:
    Without being nit-picky on what makes an adventure bike, I'm thinking tires is really the big issue too. I'm not planning on stuff where suspension and tire size would really make a huge difference. For that I'd just keep my WR, and I might keep it in the end. It would just be nice to simplify and I'm wondering if the WR is worth keeping for the once or twice a year I'd really use the capabilities. However, as I ride cross country on the scoot, I see lots of dirt roads I'd like to try.
  20. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I only ride my DRZ once or twice a year. My old bud's and I go somewhere within a days ride (drive) to do a couple hundred miles of dirt. Ex. MI Upper Penninsula, PA mountains, or southern WV mountains.