A new Thumper...

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by gatling, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gatling, there is a rider that calls himself spudrider (lives in Idaho). He has an older Zongshen, that is a 200cc dual sport. It's air cooled. Last I heard, he has over 60,000 miles. Check this thread with photos:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13931

I believe he did buy a new cylinder head and replaced it. Sometimes, when I read threads about how bad China bikes are, I mention spudrider and his Ziongshen.

He bought his quite a while back for like $800 new plus freight or something. He is quite up on Chinese built motorcycles and who makes what, getting parts and such.

Anyway, he doesn't baby that bike, and he rides it out into the middle of nowhere and back.
  2. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that input, Birdmove. Our experience with Chinese products has been good.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Man if that was fuel injected and a 500 to 650cc and a klr price that would rock. I figure the Chinese have quality figured out when they actually try hard, it's just 250cc and a carb blows when loaded for touring & riding in the high country.
  4. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bike does have fuel injection.
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    So which Village People outfit do you prefer to wear to match the bike? :ksteve

:hide
  6. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    No Village people outfit necessary. That little red CSC-150 draws enough attention all by itself. I actually got pulled over twice on the Baja trip (once by a Federale, and once by a local cop) just to get a better look at the bike.

But that's the CSC-150. What we're talking about here is the RX-3. As noted above, the RX-3 is fuel-injected, not carbureted. Here's a couple of photos of the RX-3...one is a stock photo from Zongshen, the other is a shot I grabbed last week...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a summary of the specs...

[​IMG]

We don't have a price yet. There's a lot of cost that goes into the U.S. certification process, and we're assessing that now. Plus freight, etc. Just curious...what do you think it should cost?
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Say, you all know Apple products are made in China, right? Your Klim specialty clothing is too... Nobody seems to be afraid to pay up big for those Chinese products.

I think this motorcycle will be pretty anemic, though. First, at 360lbs dry, it is going to be quite heavy for such a small low lowered motor. Second, with a 55 inch wheel base it is very small for a dual sport. Almost scooter like IMO. The seat height seems like it will be low enough for the people that buy these things, though. The blog said it has a top speed of 83mph. That is probably closer to 73 GPS. I don't see how this compares well to the little Honda dual sport.

Personally, I ride a Yamaha WR250R and a KTM 690R with both of them set up for travel. The Yam has a 56 inch wheel base and it is very scooter like to me. But it is a lot lighter and designed to maintain higher top speeds. Unfortunately it is a very expensive little bike in comparison. My KTM is of course much more sophisticated, but the main thing is that it is a full sized dual sport and it makes a difference.
  8. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of us appreciate smaller motorcycles. This one may be heavy for a 250cc, but it is spec'd out well. 6 speeds, water cooled, 4 valve SOHC with screw type valve adjusters, FI, and, I assume it comes with the cargo box and saddlebags? A really full featured 250 here. Also, I think the gas tank is pretty good sized at 4.25 gallons. If a Chinese maker can do a high tech bike like this, it would be Zongshen.

I have read a little about these, and some have said, based on the price in China, it would run just a bit over $3000-$3500. If I lived near California Scooter Company, I would most certainly go in for a test ride. But, I live on the big island of Hawaii. I would be in big trouble should there be a warranty problem. That's why, if I got a Chinese built motorcycle, I better stick to one I can diagnose, work on, and fix myself. That means probably an air cooled bike with a carb. Maybe even a push rod motor.
  9. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:

1. I priced a new Honda CRF 250L at the local dealer; $4400 after fees.

2. The RX3's engine and FI system are new and from a company that does not have a strong history of engineering or innovation.

3. As far as I can tell, there will be exactly ONE dealer and therefore ONE source of support for this bike. If sales flop after the sale of eight or ten units, then there are only eight or ten units in the United States with no hope of even finding used parts when repairs are needed.

4. The luggage is too small to really be useful for a commuter (place to stow jacket, gloves, pants, etc...), so that aspect is a wash.

The positive aspects.... a largish tank and a windsheild.... really don't add up to much as they would be easy peasy to add to the Honda.

You asked....

If the RX is $3000 or above, I would not consider it at all, $2500 would be pushing it considering the newness of the design and total lack of local support. If it were from a reputable Japanese manufacturer with the support and quality that entails, my opinion would be different. In this case... it's a pass unless the price is exceptionally attractive.

And I have bought Chinese bikes before, so I'm not a stranger to the concept. But risking $1500 on a bike that I can get parts for is different than risking $3500 on one that may only appear in the US for a few months and then vanish entirely.
  10. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    CSC Motorcycles is certifying the CSC Cyclone RX-3 motorcycle in the United States. This new 250cc adventure bike is a great motorcycle, and we’re not saying that because we’re the folks bringing these bikes here. We know quality, we know manufacturing, we know Zongshen, and we know motorcycles. This is a great machine. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

We posted a bit about this motorcycle elsewhere and our plans for bringing it to America. We asked for your input, you responded, and we listened. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    $2,895.<o:p></o:p>
    Yep, you read that right. The first shipment of these bikes will sell for $2,895 each. After the first shipment leaves the port, the price goes up to the bike’s normal price of $3,495. The $2,895 price is a one-time offer. Once the ship leaves port, we won’t sell any more motorcycles at this introductory price. Kick, scream, yell, call us names, it won’t matter. The $2,895 price is for the first shipment only.<o:p></o:p>
    We know the RX-3 Cyclone is a superior motorcycle and it’s the perfect size for real-world adventure riding. But we need to get the word out. That’s why we’re selling the first shipment of these bikes for just $2,895.<o:p></o:p>
    After the first shipment, we’re going to sell the RX-3 for $3,495, which is a hell of a deal. It’s a lot of motorcycle for $3,495: Water-cooled, fuel-injected, overhead cams, counterbalanced, disk brakes, adjustable suspension, 6-speed transmission, rack, luggage, electric start, engine guards, full instrumentation, all the road amenities, a 1-year warranty, and the list goes on. But that’s the price after the first group ships to the US. You might not want to wait that long.<o:p></o:p>
    You might be thinking a Chinese motorcycle, no dealer network, “just” a 250…why would I go for that? We’re going to answer those questions one at a time, but not here. We’ll be posting a series of articles on our CSC blog (just go to www.CSCMotorcycles.com and look for the blog). You’ll see. <o:p></o:p>
    We’re not asking for any money now. All you need to do is call us (800 884 4173) and get your name on the list with the color you want. When the bike completes the US certification process, we’ll call you and ask for a $500 deposit. If you change your mind at that point, you’re off the list and you won’t be able to get back on. That first shipment may be 44 bikes, or it may be 440. It all depends on how many of you recognize the start of a good thing and want to get in on the ground floor.<o:p></o:p>
    One time, folks. Now or never. It’s your call, and our advice is simple: Don’t miss the boat.<o:p></o:p>
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    wow that is cheap...for FI no less

so CSC will stock replacement parts and maintenance items on this if something breaks or fails? or does the customer order a replacement part and wait and hope it shows up on the slow boat from china?

that's the biggest concern most have of buying a chinese bike...can i get parts now and in the future? the japanese and euro mfg have proven they are not going away and can supply replacement parts.

knock that sucker to 450cc, charge just under 4k, guarantee replacement parts and it will sell like hot cakes. the low end 200-250cc Japanese dual-sports are really built any better than this, it's just parts are available.
  12. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments.

We are bringing in a boatload of replacement parts, just like we have on our CSC-150 and CSC-250 motorcycles. We'll be explaining all of it on the CSC blog. No one will have to wait for parts.

No plans for increased displacement; we are convinced 250 is the way to go.
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the fact that it's not certified in the U.S. yet the reason why my insurance carrier won't insure it?

Yes, just for fun I called my agent.
  14. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's correct. Once it is certified, the carriers will insure the bike.
  15. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    People seem to be willing to pay big bucks for products made in China as long as they don't think about the fact that they are made in China. I loved it when one of my "buy American" friends showed off his new Chevy Equinox. I didn't tell him his 3.4L V-6 was made in China. And John Deere gets a pretty penny for their Yuppie line of compact tractors, all made by Yanmar in China. But it's still somewhat unacceptable our here among farm folk to buy a Japanese Kubota.
  16. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I truly see nothing wrong with a 250cc adv bike. And, the bags and rear box may not hold huge amounts of stuff, but it's included in the price as I understand it. One can always pick up a tank bag and back pack too. A 250 can certainly do the job, especially if we are riding the back roads. Who the hell wants to drone down I-5 for 1000 miles? I believe it's a 6-speed and rated at about 26 horsepower. Good sized gas tank too. The bike is a great package at the intro price.
    Combatscoot likes this.
  17. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's plenty of info on this bike over at MyChinaMoto if I was still living in China, I might give it a shot, but we have far better choices here with solid aftermarket and local shop support.
  18. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:

I think it all revolves around the American who is spec'ing the details and doing a final quality check. They are any number of pure crap korean and chinese instruments made and imported. But there are also retailers like Saga that take their specs, have it made in China, QC it when it gets here and produce awesome highly respected stuff.

Like: http://www.sagamusic.com/products/show-banjos.aspx?brand=gold%20star

[​IMG]
  19. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have a concern about this myself.

Yeah, the low end 250cc are doing ok. The after market stuff is fine to improve the small tanks and such.

450 would have been the best displacement. But, with two pistons. P. Twin
    __
    I think these will sale really really well in Asia.
    _
    FWIW, I like the look and package. I think it is fine. Sure, the bags could be a little bigger. But, like the engine, it will get you there just fine.

I could tour on one of these.

Sadly, I will not be a plank owner on this first boat.

The Mighty DR is getting the damn job done on my travels this year, and will do ok as a communter.
    And I will need a little more displacement, or less with a P. twin for a Alaska trip in a couple of years.
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Moved to Vendors, since this is basically an infomercial for your products. You've already got a similar thread in Vendors.