Calgarians that dualsport

Discussion in 'Canada' started by macuser, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode Atlas Haul Road today, from Crowsnest Pass northwards to where it intersects with Dutch Creek Road, then Dutch Creek Road east to FTR.

It looks like Atlas took a lot of flood damage last year - heading north, part of the road is washed out and replaced with rough double track above a steep bank, followed a short distance later by a new-looking quad bridge (maybe 18 or so km in from the south end). Then a couple clicks before Atlas intersects with Dutch Creek Road, the bridge is out but I rode through the creek crossing, staying downstream where it seemed shallower and rocks weren't bad.

The rest of Atlas was rough as usual (and the steepish little gully you need to ride down into and out of, had water running in it). Dutch Creek Road was slick in pouring rain today. I was glad I had knobbies on this ride.

Here are some pics:

- New looking quad bridge on Atlas

[​IMG]

- On the Atlas Haul Road south of Dutch Creek Road, heading north

[​IMG]

- Bridge washout on Atlas Haul Road, heading north a couple km south of intersection with Dutch Creek Road. The truck on the other side was a guy and his wife fishing. He said he was glad he didn't have to help drag me out. I figured there was probably enough trucks and quad ramps for everyone if something went wrong :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like there was lots of flood damage on the FTR south of Highwood House, with many sections of repaired road and on-going construction. Here's a bridge washout on FTR with detour:

[​IMG]
  2. gatitaBonita

gatitaBonita Right meow.

Oddometer:
    When I find myself back that way, I will absolutely have to check it out. What an incredible place.
  3. Subaru297

Subaru297 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone up for a ride during the week? I would like to try out Limestone as well after seeing those pictures.

In other news I have a Metzeler Tourance Next Rear Tire 150/70R17 if anyone wants to try it out for cheap. I bought it as a commuter tire for my wr250x but the tire is too tall and I didn't like the feel of it. It has a few hundred kms on it but it's essentially brand new. First $50 gets it. I think it is the stock size for some bigger bikes with 17 inch rims.

Cheers
  4. vwrally

vwrally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading down to the fallen timber area on the holiday monday from edmonton to ride for the day. Will be on a 500 exc. Thinking about riding the transalta road, waiperous falls, and whatever trails i come across in the area. Would also like to try the single track in the area thats on the srd map at fallen timber, is it too much for a 500exc solo? Anyone want to join me to ride it?
  5. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I would not do those trails solo... I'm speaking from recent experience. I was just out at Fallen Timber on Saturday and rode the Government Trail single track (runs along the top of the ridge to the east of the forestry road). It's not crazy difficult, but lots of opportunities for things to go sideways. Find a riding buddy if you go back in there. I ended up smacking my head really good on a couple of overhanging tree limbs and came close to having to walk out (I was riding alone).
  6. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't say it's too much for a 500EXC as I've ridden that entire area on a 450EXC with a 20L tank on, complete tool kit strapped to the bike and tall gearing. Probably not a great idea to do it solo though... I wish I was back from work now as I have a brand new 450X sitting in my shop waiting for that very ride as a shake-down before taking it to Mexico... :(

Transalta road is good and quick, but kinda straight forward and boring. The next stage area on the left leads in to some pretty fun quad trails that are fairly open and probably a safer bet to ride solo. You can get all the way to Margaret Lake that way if you're brave enough to cross the river and if the river is low and slow enough. I personally love riding that area on my 990 so a 500 should have zero issues.

Ride safe and post pics, :D
  7. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    I know EXACTLY which branches you're talking about... LOL!
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The summit of Imogene Pass. A tough climb out of Telluride!
  9. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Colorado pics are awesome and does it ever look like a great place to ride. Keep 'em comin'

10. ThePedro

ThePedro Soil Compaction Guy

Oddometer:
    I concur!
  11. MikeRC

MikeRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Travlr

Travlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks Tokenboy and Pedro for your route advice. thanks to Lycan for posting the big loop track.

Stew
  13. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    No problem.
  14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    How's the healing?
  15. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    Doing well. Left arm has about 70% mobility, ankle is a lot better. Still bothered by pain in my shoulder and left ribs.

Overall very pleased with my progress. I might be ready for some easy rides early Sept.

BTW, are you missing some Joe Rocket gloves? They ended up with personal effects that you returned to me. Thanks for that!
  16. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look forward to some pics.
  17. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slow and steady healing. I thought if I ever tried snowboarding, I would wear hockey pants. May be hard to find a pair ktm orange. :D

I have some in blue if yoou want to try.
  18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I might be. I had your stuff mixed with mine. I'll check when I get home on Tues.
  19. ThePedro

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you made it back (mostly) intact. I am looking forward to more awesome pictures from your trip.

:lurk
  20. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Great trip report Lee! I especially liked your opening passage:
    And so it begins, another adventure, another day of discovery, freedom from the mundane, and release from the daily routine. I will never tire of the exhilaration and elation that comes with the departure day of a bike trip. The destination really doesn’t matter; it is simply the setting out that does. The process of planning and preparing completed and all that remains is the journey itself. Doing something for the pure, unadulterated joy and pleasure of it, (which sums up how I feel about riding, and about traveling). I don’t expect anything from it, and don’t expect to leave my mark on the world, so I do this for me, and for the experience.

That really captures the essence of leaving on a long bike trip.

Would love to hook up for a coffee sometime and hear more about it.

Cheers,
    Andy