Give Me A Sanity Check -- KDX200

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Canuman, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I've been through the gamut. I started on road bikes and scooters, caught the dual-sport bug bought a KLR, then a DRZ400E. I am currently lusting for a little bike -- a true trails bike. I am too old and fat for a motocrosser, and frankly, MX doesn't interest me. What I've been looking for is something small and light to ride on the trails close to home. I have an XT250 project in the pipe, but it's an old and slightly stodgy machine whose suspension won't ever approach modern standards.

An inmate and friend has offered me his KDX200. I think it's an '03, but I could be mistaken. He's reluctant to let it go, but needs the cash to build his business. He's an ultra-anal bastige, and takes superb care of all his machines. He also rides them hard, so the bike's not a virgin.

Am I about to get a butt-whuppin? The thing makes 37 hp from a bike that's about 270 pounds wet. Except for the family's Vespa scooters, I've not ridden a two-stroke in many years. I have the check in hand, because I like the look of the thing and think it could be a tremendous hoot.

I have the Kool-aid glass in my hand as I write this. Should I swallow?
  2. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine had one. We traded bikes on the trail one day, and I dropped it in the first corner. It didn't have the compression braking of my 4-stroke! I was impressed with it. Once I remembered how to use the back brake, I enjoyed riding it. Light, and with plenty of power, I'd like to have one.
  3. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That was the impression I got. I'll need to adjust my riding style significantly. I am a compression-braking whore. My first real bike was an airhead BMW. I rarely used the brakes. I'd just kick her down a cog and things would slow down. The brakes weren't really that good anyway. The compression braking was superb.
  4. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    you'll get used to it. i can't ride a 4 stroke in the woods anymore to save my life. modern 2 stroke is a lot of fun in the woods. just ride a gear higher than you would normally and it'll smooth it all out for you. throttle control is everything. use the brakes to your advantage. can't brake slide with compression braking :D learn to love the clutch to get on the pipe.
  5. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like them. Had a KDX 250 for awhile which was a bit of a beast with a race pipe. The 200's are very highly regarded down here as a do it all trail bike but not intimidating. Plenty are still being ridden in Clubmans enduros & trail rides.
    I have a DT 230 in the garage which makes more power, is heavier, has less suspension & it's an absolute blast.on trails.

If it's a good bike buy it, heaps of fun.
  6. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Are you sure about that weight, seems awful heavy? I looked and found 222lbs dry, which seems close, maybe a bit low.
  7. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Prolly about right wet. HERE.

13 ltrs of go fluids, a bit of brake fluid & coolant. Sounds spot on.
  8. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    almost all the manufactures are pretty optimistic when it comes to 'spec weight'. it's probably close to 260-270 wet. but since all the manufacturers do it, the lighter bikes all feel light comparatively,

again, this spec is for a brand new bike. it could still be making that (or maybe more depending on what's been done to it). don't let that hp scare ya - it's all how it delivers the power. it's a kdx, not a mx bike, so it's not gonna rip your arms off....

the kdx is a great trail bike, very forgiving. and enough power when you need it.
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    My friend has done the top end, if the Wiseco Pistons sticker means a thing. He's not a guy to slap stickers on at random. I'm pretty sure it will be near rated power.

At 200 lbs less than my KLR in running trim and probably at least 60 lbs less than the DRZ, it's going to be a significant difference in weight.

Anyone used a "gnarly woods pipe" on one of these? Worth the biscuit?
  10. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need it, and the weight is a little high, my KTM 530 only weighs 247, enjoy the ride :clap
  11. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Great place for KDX info http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=6

My son has a 01 KDX220, it's kind of like the 2 stroke version of the XR400. Nice lower end torque for a 2 stroke, just as said before, not as much compression breaking. You can't be quite as lazy as you can on a 4 stroke but they lug pretty good. Most info that I read says to use the woods pipe on the 200 as the 200 doesn't have quite as much low end as the 220. XR400 springs in the forks supposed to help the front, the rear shock isn't too bad unless you are really heavy. It's a nice light trail bike, easy to pick up when you dump it. Easy to wrestle around on tight trails. It was made for trails :)
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I now own it. Paid for it today. My buddy inmate Jackpiner57 (rack fabricator extraordinaire) filled me in a little more. It's an '02, with the top end job done not so many running hours ago by some KDX guru in Indiana, trick reeds, and a pipe. It's not the woods pipe. He also has the stock pipe. I'll need to re-spring the shock, as he weighs quite a bit less than I. The forks feel fine. The bike is relatively minty for a dirt bike, and has been plated in VT. Gotta love it. It has a few scratches, but hasn't been thrown away into too many New England granite walls. It's the appropriate green.
  13. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts & observations when you have had some time to live with it. Congratulations:freaky
  14. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the KDX. It is, hands down, the finest small bore enduro bike EVER to come out of Japan. Learn to shift a lot. You got a six speed on a bike that will barely do 50. If you want engine braking, grab second.

Peace
    Piston
    1TRAK likes this.
  15. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I thought that might be the case. Got to scrub up the carb and see if this dog will hunt. It looks like it will hunt!
  16. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:

the it200 definitely gave it a run for it's money 84-86. if it stayed in production with periodic updates as long as the kdx, i bet both would be the best woods bikes ever from japan......
  17. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    When I was riding IT's back in the '80s, I lusted after a KDX. Back then they were air cooled 175's but better than the IT. But dad was a Yamaha Man and he held the purse strings. My '03 is bone stock and totally reliable and worthy of the highest praise.
    [​IMG]

Peace
    Piston
  18. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I've got the 220, about the same vintage and am thrilled with it after 6 years of ownership? Congratulations on a great purchase.
  19. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    no doubt the kdx is better than the it175. the it200 is whole different beast. yamaha figured out power delivery and suspension in one fell swoop.
  20. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:

WR200 would be the yamaha to get