Yamaha FZ1 Fazer

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rhino_343, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always thought the Gen1 was the better tourer. When the Gen II was released, I was somewhat disappointed w/ the remodel as it had a smaller gas tank and felt more compact. Not to say the Gen II was a bad bike, but I think the universal'ness of the bike was compromised as compared to the Gen I. The "idea" of both bikes is compelling, just wish the execution was a little better geared towards the touring end of the equation.

Having said all that, the red one shown above w/ the Givi cases looks pretty sweet!
  2. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob :wave

[​IMG]

I love my FZ1. I've only had it since January, but I can tell this is not a bike to get rid of. Great usable power, decent mileage, and it handles well enough (a little heavy at 505 pounds, but not too bad). With 17,000 miles on it, I wouldn't hesitate to take off on a tour of the country tomorrow.
  3. Ratvirgo72

Ratvirgo72 Adventure Rat

Oddometer:
    Fantastic motorcycle! 17k never a problem. Longest day trip was 700 mile northern Nm tour. Ran great even at 11000 ft elevation. Don't think I will ever part with it!
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is off-topic, but do you have a photo of your CB900F? I always wanted one, couldn't afford it at the time. Hmm.
  5. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "red" i have read is the fast color!

:clap

ymmv

be well

rob
  6. High Side

High Side Squidventurer

Oddometer:

A group of 7 of us toured down from our home base of Nova Scotia Canada to Deals Gap last summer taking in the Blue Ridge Parkway, Tale Of the Dragon and a lot of other amazing roads in that area. Our ride down consisted of Interstate highways and any secondary roads that time allowed us to take. I was extremely happy with the touring capabilities of the Gen II Fz1. Mine was equipped with a Corbin seat and touring windshield. The hard bags shown here and on the previous page are factory Yamaha FJR luggage, not Givi. I'm a big guy 6'2" and having spent multi day 700+kms on this trip cannot say enough good things of this Gen II Fz. Smooth, great wind protection, with track bike performance/handling and breaking. This is the perfect weapon for those who enjoy the faster paced side of touring. I found the tank range was just right with getting a chance to get off the bike for a bit and talk with your buddies.

This is the tour set up I used on the trip. FJR panniers, Gears top bag and a tank bag gave me all the space required for a two week, 6000km ++ tour down into the states :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:

great pix!

the fjr bags look awesome.

and as we all know, red is the fast color!

i really need to sit on a fz1.

yup yup.

and soon.

real soon.

ymmv.

be well.

rob
  8. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting an old thread to belatedly introduce my "new" FZ1. I got her in an even trade for this last fall from an inmate in NY.

[​IMG]

I really didn't want an FZ1, I always thought the power was too much. After my first long ride on her today I think I finally "get it" . I got behind a lot of slow traffic on typical TN roads today with few passing zones... and they are usually short. Passing is just effortless on this bike. 1-2 cars to pass? Just adjust the angle of your right wrist and leave it in 6th. 7 cars to pass? drop it down to 3rd and give her a taste of the "beans" (certainly not a full serving) This bike makes traffic on the horizon become traffic in your mirrors at a rate your brain struggles to comprehend.

[​IMG]
  9. allanmac

allanmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heres my gen 2 not had it long but happy with it so far.

Cheers Allan

Attached Files:

10. allanmac

allanmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed to the FZ1 from this gs. Was nice enough just fancied another fazer.

Cheers Allan

Attached Files:

11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump time.

I currently run a 2009 GS - like it, but feel the itch for more power.

Local dealer has a FZ1, ABS 2008 MY, in red in stock. Bike has a criminal 1665 miles on it!!

I seem to remember the early ones had fuelling issues.

Other than that - anything to look out for?
  12. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    Limited tank range. Hard to baby the engine enough to get over 40 mpg (US). Fuelling issues were supposedly cured after the first year of GenII (2006). My 2007 still seemed to have less than ideal fuelling, perhaps simply due to a relative lack of power below 4k rpm. After 6k, you'll want to be holding on. The powerband is kinda like a 600 on steroids. Best performing bike I've owned, not just the engine, but traded it in after 3 months because I prefer twins. The red they made back then was very nice. Good luck.
  13. inkdwheels

inkdwheels Negro Please.

Oddometer:
    So after a 3yr affair with Harley Davidson, I'm back on a bike more fitting of my riding style. My superglide was totaled after a spill in a ditch 2 weeks ago (I was miraculously completely unharmed. And I took it as a sign to get back on something that handled and stopped better. I didn't have a single problem with my 2008 superglide and I had put 36,000 miles in the 3yrs I owned it.

Here's my new to me 2001 FZ1. I'll sort the suspension, get a top case and some new bars and then I'll try to leave it alone.

[​IMG]
  14. AustinP

AustinP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're gonna get the "what exhaust is that" question when you post a stonkingly cool photo. Does that dual setup change anything? Sometimes inline fours get the stereotype of not having the "character" of a triple or twin. I was just curious about that exhaust and what it does for the character of the Fizzer. Thanks for sharing the photo.
  15. Dunewar

Dunewar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nice bike! Mine was identical except for the exhaust. It got me in way too much trouble...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  16. inkdwheels

inkdwheels Negro Please.

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about the exhaust. I know it was made by Devil and I think it's called te shotgun exhaust. As far as what it does for performance.... I have no idea. That last time I owned an inline4 was in 2002. I've been on twins or singles since.

I know it sounds great and it looks rad.

I've since installed the SW motech rack and a shad box and Renthal 755 bars. I've also done the $14.50 suspension mod mentioned in the owners assosication forums.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish they still made that Devil setup for the FZ
  18. inkdwheels

inkdwheels Negro Please.

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about it. Is it a slip on, or a full system? I've thought about running a small GP can but I keep hearing how rare the devil setup is.