2005 ktm 450mxc

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bensurdi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. bensurdi

bensurdi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just bought one of these bikes and there isn't a whole lot of info about them online so im hoping someone can help.

The 1st gear is too tall on the bike for the technical tight trails in my opinion and just wondering, what can I do to make the bike more trail friendly?

It has a 13 tooth front sprocket on it right now. I want to get it trail ready asap so any suggestions on this would be awesome.

Thanks!
  2. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many teeth on the rear sprocket? 13/52 should get 1st gear low enough for the tighter trails, although 6th gear 'cruising' would be at very high revs. As you probably know, the problem with the MXC gearbox is that it has extremely close ratios so that 1st gear is too tall and 6th gear is too low (short). A much better choice would have been the EXC which has wider, more versatile ratios. Incidentally, EXC gears can be installed in the MXC engine.
  3. bensurdi

bensurdi n00b

Oddometer:
    Right now there is 13/50 on the bike. The guy I bought it from told me to put a 12 or 11 on the front and leave the 50 on the rear to achieve my goal but everyone else seems to be saying to put a 52 on the rear and leave the 13 on the front.

If I were to bring this to a shop and tell them to change the gearing, do you know estimated how much that typically costs?

4. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Did you even read what CHASM said ?

I also had a 2005 MXC (525). 1st gear is very tall . If I geared it down to make first more singletrack friendly , the rest of the gears were even closer together. ( 13/50 )

Great desert bike with stock gearing.