2015 SWNH Annual Charity Ride

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by henrymartin, Oct 19, 2014.

1. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Never too early to start the thread. :deal

So, for those unfamiliar with my little event, this will be our 4th (or 5th) annual charity ride in the woods of Southwestern New Hampshire. This event started with good intentions, and after the first year changed from big bikes to the smaller knobby bikes, and from unpaved roads and some trails to mostly trails and a few unpaved roads.

Pics from 2014: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981549&highlight=charity&page=8

Pics from 2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892397&page=10

For 2015, it's going to be back to the roots, that is, bring some canned food or nonperishable boxed food to donate to Helping Hands in Troy, NH.
    In 2014 we collected cash for a downed rider, which worked out well as I did not have to carry bunch of food around, but I'd like this to be the exception rather than the rule.

The food donations work well, and we can all feel good about doing something for the less fortunate amongst us, and the community also tends to perceive muddy dirtbike riders with a less critical eye :lol3 (particularly the local PD).

Schedule - date not decided yet, but I'm open to suggestions. As in years past, this will be a casual event/ride that is NOT organized. You come on your own accord, ride at your will, and neither I nor anyone else assumes any responsibility for you. You break it, you fix it. Simple.

I would hate to have to have people sign waivers and stuff.

We will meet on an agreed-upon date at 09:00, collect our donations, and ride promptly. There will be a lunch stop along the way, and a gas stop if needed.

In years past, I had gotten positive feedback about my routes, and most riders enjoyed the 50+ miles of trails thrown into the mix. Well, I scouted today some new terrain, and rode about 45 miles on new-to-me trails and dirt roads in the area (I'll just have to make sure all of the connectors are legal). Between now and then, I'll make a new route which will incorporate some of the old favorites (the Swanzey/Troy loop) with the stuff I found today, aiming at 80-100 miles of mostly dirt. New this year will be a couple optional hero sections for the brave at heart.

So, if you are returning, thank you, and please let me know:

What would you like to keep in the route or what you'd like to skip?

Camping or no camping? - Some of you camped at Liza's and Bob's last year. The campground is about 45 min ride from Troy, the central point in the ride. Since most of the new stuff I found is from Troy to points south/west, I'll leave that up to the majority vote. The ride from the campground to Troy last year was about 80% dirt.

Would you like to limit the number of riders to ____?
    We seem to grow in numbers every year, but it hasn't been a problem yet. Chime in with how you feel about it.

When: June 20
    Time: 09:00
    Where: Troy, NH gas station off rte 12. A plenty of parking for those with trailers.
    Route: TBD, but it will be fun.

IN List:

DeOpressoLiber (CJ) OUT
    Zeede (maybe)
    Sailer
    HM
    NHBill OUT

2. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    When _______

Where_______

The IN list:

henrymartin
    DeOpressoLiber
  3. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you like riding in the damned heat so much and Bob and Liza were gracious enough to host an event, would there be enough riding in the area for two days worth? That would make camping a better option, especially for those who haven't made the trek for just one days' worth of riding....

"As in years past, this will be a casual event/ride that is NOT organized. You come on your own accord, ride at your will, and neither I nor anyone else assumes any responsibility for you. You break it, you fix it. Simple."

What is this bullshit? You're such a douche.... it IS organized- it's on a WORLD wide web, has a ring leader, has a specific meet up time, a planned lunch stop and requires non-perishable items...... sound pretty f'ing organized to me! :deal :lol3

No, the real point in this nonsensical paragraph I quoted you on is the part about not assuming responsibility and, I dare laugh, the part about you break it, you fix it - what a bunch of hooey! You would NEVER leave a busted bike or a rider stranded... you just don't have it in you. You may have some euro trash qualities about ya, but you ALWAYS are willing to lend a hand and are good at fixing stuff. . . don't ask me how I know! You're a good egg, Charlie Brown.

I don't think you need to limit numbers of riders. Just do like you're supposed to - wait for the rider behind you and stop at turns. Yeah, you get the accordion effect sometimes, but hey, it gives me a chance to catch a breather! :evil

4. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:
    "Euro Trash"... :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

OMG, I almost shot my coffee out my nose.
  5. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Heat - you are the only one ever to come close to a heatstroke out there, so maybe the fault is your own fat ass, and not the NH weather:deal

You know all too well what I mean by organized. No, no one will be left stranded and we (as in all of us) will do our best to help. But as far as ambulance chasers are concerned, you are on your own. Fine, I'll have CJ sign a waiver, since he is the only one crashing anyway :rofl

Euro trash? Funny, the other day you called me a NH redneck. Make up your mind.
  6. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Henry is a breed all unto himself..... misunderstood in many ways that some may perceive in a skewed fashion (admittedly, brought on by himself). But, make no mistake about it, he's a good guy who has helped me out (and others here on ADV) tremendously in innumerable ways. . . . from lending a hand with fixing broken things, lending tools and knowledge along with spare parts when needed in a pinch, and helping to upright fallen bikes and hog wrestling them out of some ridiculous bike-eating mud holes!

Sure, he's a pain in the ass..... but then again, so am I! In fact, aren't we all at one point or another? :lol3 Hell, if he asked me to snap his neck if he were laying on the trail speared with a log or some other horrific life-ending/altering traumatic injury, I'd be a good friend and oblige!

Ok, enough of the love fest...... :feelgood

Hiya, Henry! :fyyff :lol3 :freaky

Now, who the hell is in for this ride???
    NHBill, I'm counting you in... bring a small bike with knobbies, you're gonna need 'em :clap
  7. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Phucker, you hit submit before I did.... :bow
  8. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Bill is not IN, unless he gets a small bike. The 650GS would not make it out from where I was yesterday:deal
  9. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Bill has mystical powers, don't underestimate the power of the force!
  10. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  11. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Happy new Year's!
  12. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    :huh
  13. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Clark must be sampling the Recompence medicine. :lol3
  14. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    The sham pain ya.
  15. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack,
    Henry, we rode together once on the trip to mt. Washington sunrise till your back had the best of you
    I'm putting together a ride for next summer to ride dirt roads and jeep trails from my house on vt to Canada and back on the puppy dog route. Smaller bikes with knobbies may be key. I swapped out my BMW for a 650 XRL.
    Sounds like CJ is in and I wanted to invite you as well.
    I'm would like to keep the group small just to keep things tight
    Maybe one or two days north, staying at inns to keep the bikes light and the one day south back to my house where you can camp and I'll BBQ
    Hope you can do it
    Kris
  16. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    Holy shit you guys are a riot! With the way this thread has already started I'm real sorry I'm gonna miss this next year! There'll be no kumbaya around that fire! :1drink

Jr.
  17. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    You invited HM? That's it, I'm out . . . . :lol3

Junyah! You WILL be missed! Who's gonna score my flying W and see if I stick the landing?!?!
  18. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Kris,

thanks for the offer. My job follows school schedule, so if it works along with that, I would love to go.

Wait, did you say CJ was in on this? Damn, I may have to reconsider. He cause all kinds of bad juju to people riding with him. Clark needed some repairs, Junyah got a flat tire, I fell down . . . and the list goes on. :lol3
  19. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Shut up, you'll be either basking in the Mexican sun with a hottie on your lap, or chewing coca leaves while contemplating existentialism 15,000 ft above sea level.

Post some pics when you get south of the border.

By the way, did you clear MA yet? :rofl
  20. De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Yeah, he just left yesterday..... Now he's in Connecticut - the Yankee went home! (As long as everyone else was throwing out movie references, I'll throw mine in here.)