Para-curious

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alright, so I'm fiending for my airhead fix. I'm a member of the monolever camp, but unfortunately the only options near me here are R100GSPDs. There's a thoroughly hacked, butchered, and welded on G/S available 4 hours away, but the guy wants $8k for it. No thanks, senor. Anyway, I found 2 GSPDs. One is a black '91 w/ 50,000 miles on it, a wonky looking rear shock and it looks a little rough around the edges. The guy is asking $4,000US for it. The second (better) option is a red '93 with 20,000 miles on the clock, optional rear "sport suspension" (a WP piggyback shock), and pretty clean all around. The guy is asking $5,000 for it, but is VERY motivated to sell. I'll probably offer him 4. Asking prices in Mexico are typically much more optimistic than in the states and thereby flexible. (photos below) I'm going to go check them out (and maybe ride one home) on Sunday. I'd never seen a solid red GSPD. Could this be original paint?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go for the Red GSPD with 20k miles. nothing wrong with paralever with 20k miles. you've got a ways to go before service is needed for tranny or drive shaft.

when you are ready to sell... don't think you will have any problem getting most if not all your $$ back.
  3. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:

or not. my 24k mile paralever had bad both. its not the mileage its how it was used.
  4. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    i hope the red paint isn't original because it's UGLY. It's like a GS coated in lipstick.

Also, it'll need a new rear tire.
    Good luck!!!
  5. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I'm in the 'Red' camp on this one. I have nothing but love for my Bumble Bee.

PSSST - You know, for about ~$1,000 you can get a lengthened mono-swingarm, shaft and mill that hub down for a rear spoked wheel, AND grab a mono FD from Fleabay. (Which is about how much a shaft replacement costs, if you get BMW to do it for you)

You know ... when the shaft explodes :lol3
  6. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    someone just scored a R80G/S with 84k miles on ebay for $3k in another thread.
  7. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you name it the red rocket.
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I got some better photos of the black one, so figured I'd give it a fair shot with the peanut gallery:

[​IMG]

Cylinder base weeping, open fork boot :(

[​IMG]

Mileage looks dubious. Odo looks a little wonky

[​IMG]

Anyone recognize this rear shock?? It looks like he just made that little adaptor and fitted whatever dirt bike shock he had laying around.
    [​IMG]

Muffler not bolted on at the back. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comes complete with 'Barbie and Ken' solo seat and rack

[​IMG]

Well, at least it has brand new tires.
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it the perspective and maybe a leaning street or does the black one look all crooked-like. The forks look like they're almost an angle. Hard to tell with 2d photos and not seeing it in person.
  10. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    If you can get that Black one for $2500 or $3000 you will have scored. Just sayin.

:lurk
    sky44 and motorrad3DP like this.
  11. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw that too, but thought that maybe it was just that the bars are turn to the right a bit. Tough to tell though. It definitely went onto my list of stuff to check.
  12. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this a case of Duc-burnout???
  13. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    This is a case of saving most of the rest of the Duc until I'm back in the states and can get the thing plated. No chance of doing it here for under $1000. Need a lawyer, etc. Serious BS. I just need something to ride around on all the incredible dirt roads we have here and that most certainly is not the duc. I'm still chipping away at little bits and pieces on the Duc, but parts are slow to come here. I've had an order in with SKF Mexico for some seals for 2 1/2 months now. Not much movement. As soon as I get them, I can start reassembling the engine. I still need to ship off the frame and wheels for powdercoat.
  14. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The black one looks a little more used but looks good higher miles. OH that rear shock is one size fits all solution!!!

Red one looks good lower miles clean so really depends on the price.

Paralever is guranteed to go out could be 1000 miles from when you buy it or 1,000,000 miles.
    Your a wrench geek - put it on the centerstand and rotate the rear tire - you will know if something is wrong right away.

My 89 GS with Paralever is great to many horror stories :eek1 about them failing gives it a bad rap!!!

That said the Red one with lower miles - much cleaner and a motivated seller is the way to go!!!:freaky
  15. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I like the red one, nice clean bike. that red looks like henna red, an official bmw color, ala r65ls, along with various bimmer cars from the 80's. not stock for that bike, but from the pics, looks like a nice repaint.
  16. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the shock on the black one upside down?
  17. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Yep. Orientation doesn't really affect function on reservoir shocks as it does on emulsion shocks, but yes, you should put the reservoir (heavier) end of the shock up to reduce your unsprung weight. That shock is definitely a bodge job.
  18. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the red one a bit more as well, just because it seems like a better bet. Too many unknowns in hte black one, although its a pretty good deal.
  19. Ras Thurlo

Ras Thurlo Desert Lion

Oddometer:
    ....I have got to believe that dirtroad week-end bike trips in Mexico are off the charts!!

My vote would be for the red one, as quality differential seems greater than price differential.
  20. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Although the black looks BADASS, I'm with the others, the red one seems to have had a better life. The hose clamps on the fuel lines point to an anal owner. :thumb