Bike storage Belize City

Discussion in 'Americas' started by stormdog, Feb 25, 2013.

1. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of riding my bike to Belize City, storing my bike there and then flying to Ambergris Caye for a couple of weeks next December.
    Has anyone used a storage place near either of the airports or the water taxi dock? I would prefer some kind of mini storage place where I could drop the bike and riding gear in doors.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I would first look at storing the bike at a hotel you used near BZ City.
    You might also look into having one of the ferries carry it over to SP for you.
    The island is twiggy skinny, but has some length to it. You might like having your bike there.
    Check with the ferries....

A tad of planning and a few emails should get you connected OK.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could also go via road to Xcalak,MX and store bike there then by boat to the Cay.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys
    Taking the bike to the caye sounds impractical,
    I have an Email into Edgars mini storage in Ladyville does that name ring a bell for anyone?
    Since my wife is flying into Phillip Goldson Int. it would be nice to end up close to there and travel to the caye together.
  5. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Have you been to Xcalak?
    I spent almost 3 months there...at the extreme south end.

A boat trip from X to SP runs $250 for the boat. They can haul 8 people, and postings/sign-up lists are at some of the dive shops.
    Somebody else might have more/better info.
    Remote for sure...
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might check with one of the air carriers that flies out to the island. Its been a very long time since I was there, but Mayan Air and Aero Caribe come to mind.
  7. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You cannot take your bike to Ambergris or Caye Caulker (Caulker being a much, much better choice)

I see many Bikes left at the water taxi terminal by the Tourism Village (cruise ship arrival area) As long as you run a chain and locks no one will bother the bike. ItÂ’s too big and bothersome for anyone to steal it.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been twice,a week or so each time. We paid something like 50-7USD to go to the caye for a day & I snorkled the underwater park there. The guy that took us normally took people out to bonefish in the flats. I fished with an old guy from WA in his small alu boat & snorkled with his (much younger) wife. The other time we stayed at a dive resort & tolerated the then operators as they tried to social engineer the dinner tables by forcing you to eat with their choices! That was sort of interesting in itself...
  9. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    For short duration you can keep your bike at the water taxi. For longer duration I'd continue to look for someplace to keep it. Mine wasn't touched but it's right beside the water and gets pretty dirty and gritty. I didn't have rust but it is nice to come back to the bike the way you left it!
  10. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Cocos or XTC?
  11. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input everyone I Talked to a guy at Edgars mini storage. They are only 2 miles from BZE and they have indoor locked units.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to "store me" down there right now-it is crappy here!!!
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 1st time was Coco's & a TX couple ran it then. The wife was the "social experimenter" and was forcing us to sit at the table for dinner with the nerdiest guy on earth-didn't float to well with us. I also was pissed that the only boats to fish were spoken for & as there to fish, at least in part, I couldn't even get out.
    Did you meet the guy from AL that fixed the one of the wind generators & sold the only ice in area then?
  14. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    When I was there, the only 'bagged ice' was available from the store by the real estate office - kinda center of village.
    But I usually bought frozen bags of water (small poly bags) from different locals - much cheaper and laster longer. But you also needed a hammer...:D

Don't know the wind genny guy. Cocos sure does have a lot of blades set up.