OK --then what can we do to bring the sport back ?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by 2feetdown, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I grew up on the other side of the state in a rural town and I remember as a kid (Late 80s-90s) things were changing fast, more cops, more fences less legal places to ride, things got tougher and tougher every year. My dad had stories about how in the early 70s they'd take Honda Elsinores all over the place in his Suburban town as a kid. Today everything is about an hour away, that kinda sucks for kids, but if there was a park close to home you could ride your eBike to that would could spawn a popular "new thing" that's really been around forever.

The reason we lost all that land was developments and NOISE, wealthy NY'ers and Bostonians didn't move to the 'burbs/country to hear dirt bike noise, BUT with the E-Bikes that's a non-issue (maybe there's some litigation fear but would a Trials park be much different than a skate park?). Also think of the cool courses that could be set up in relatively small spaces. You don't need 100s of acres like you do for a traditional OHV park, and with no noise from an E-bike proximity to residences is no longer a concern.

I don't know where the OP is planning to "Bring the sport back" from? I actually didn't even know WTF a Trials bike was until I saw an Observed Trials Competition on Speedvision (dirt wheels magazine certainly never featured any articles on Trials bikes that I can recall; maybe before my time in the 70s) when it was first launched in the 90s and I'd never even seen a modern trials bike in person until moving to the West. If there was more exposure you'd get more people interested in the sport. Imagine if the Xgames featured some real gnarly trials competition, then you'd start getting young people interested in the sport. I think most kids know they'll never be Travis Pastrana but that still doesn't deter them from wanting to ride dirt bikes...
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    +1 on noise. Hate it. Got 7 bikes and not a one is loud. I'm a motorcyclist, but a noisy crotch rocket, blaring Harley, or loud ass off road bike all rile me up.

The E bikes could be a way to be more public about riding, but that'll take some promotion. They are also a way to ride stealthily in places where to make noise might get one on the radar.