Hangover Hare Scramble Virgin

Discussion in 'Racing' started by EOD3MC, Dec 6, 2012.

1. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Been riding trails and such with friends for a few years now...figure it's about time to take it up a notch

[​IMG]

This will be my first real Hare Scramble, registered for the Senior 40+ class....
    I have no intention of trying to win the damn thing or even push it that hard...just looking to finish.
    More importantly, I want to avoid being the guy everyone talks about at the end of the race...with most comments starting with "that idiot"

Any suggestions or experience you veterans are willing to share to help me keep that from happening?

on a side note, my 8 year old has asked to run her TTR 50 in the mini class :clap it will be her first race as well
  2. TexaNate

TexaNate Fortune Favors the Bald

Oddometer:
    Let us know how it goes! I'm also a total newbie with racing (seems like most people start out when they're really young) and I'm looking forward to learning from your mistakes.

Just remember no one's there to judge you and all the most embarrassing mistakes have already been made. If you fall over in tricky stuff, just do it properly with your feet on the pegs and your head up and over the handlebars. Don't kick your bike over when mounting by not throwing your leg quite high enough over the seat - you'd be surprised what mistakes you make when you're tired/sore/nervous. Let's not get into how I know that one.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be glad it's not at Antietam anymore. The track there was brutal.

Anyways just get good sleep and start mega hydrating the week before the race. Limit yourself to one cuppa joe a day for that week if you can and load a good bit of carbs for two days prior. If you've the time go out and ride for two hours straight as much as possible so you have some idea of what it entails. I'd take a couple of Advil or other NSAID before the event and have some available for after. That takes care of you.

Make sure the bike is up to the job. Do a complete service/checkover and fit a new rear tire if it's even close. Riding for two hours if ya can will also give you an idea of how much fuel you'll use.

When someone comes up behind you yelling and revving the engine let 'em by ASAP. They're not being dicks they're in it to win and you're in the way.

Maybe I oughta go dig up the YZ from West Virginia and run this. Haven't done it since..............I don't remember. :D
  4. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Thanks...I appreciate the insight.
    carbs, hydrate, and rest....bike prep.... stock up on pain meds... :thumb
  5. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like Gu and hammer nutrition products before during and after the race.

Keeping your BSL up is great when you're going hard.
  6. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When riding in Baja I live on Hammer gel and peanutbutter & honey sandwich's, (on the trail,it's tacos and beer at the end of the day :freaky)
  7. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    No baja fogs?
  8. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moderation in everything,(except racing :D).
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to do this one barring any misfortune. Haven't raced in 4 years. Wheeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll run the 50+ slow guy ( :evil ) class.
  10. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Cool, look forward to seeing you there...

Picked up a new to me DRZ400 yesterday, upgrading from my KLX250S....now to get everything prepped for next month

[​IMG]

Probably swapping out the factory tank for the IMS tank I have, but certainly getting some new 606's
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding this old beast. Probably shoehorn on some new sneakers and change the oil. Fookin thing is almost maintenance free.

[​IMG]
  12. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Nice...:clap
  13. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    Not to dishearten you, but you may be that guy anyway. Before I did some desert races out here I thought I was pretty hot shit (or at least not a speed bump) on a motorcycle, especially since I am fairly competitive in mountain bike racing (in the equivalent of class "B"). Nooooooo, it's a whole different world out there. Even the "C" guys I race against out here are a class apart from me in skill. I need a class "D", for "dumbass".

Don't let that stop you from trying, it's still a hell of a lot of fun. You just need to be realistic in your goals and make sure you aren't riding too far over your head. I did that in a race up near Gallup and nearly ended my race after going over the bars pretty hard in a wash.

I'm hardly a veteran, but remember to have fun. :D

You will probably be more exhausted than you have ever been by the end. Remember to drink water while you ride. Stop if you have to in order to drink. It isn't worth the 5 seconds you'll lose doing so to end up dehydrated and in heat stroke. To finish first, you must first finish. :evil

I have no idea how the classes run out there, but if you find yourself severely left in the dust, you might try just racing vanilla C class. A lot of times in bicycle racing the 40+ class is just a bunch of ex-pros who don't want to have to compete against the young pros.
  14. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pomo...
    oh, I fully expect to have my buttocks handed to me...but the only way to learn is to do it.
    Just trying to do it without getting hurt or causing someone else to get hurt.

I'm not sure how big the turn out will be for a January 6th race, figure weather will play a really big part in it.

Your comment about stopping to drink if needed certainly makes sense...Thanks
  15. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Head that Advice, go out and have FUN! Don't get all worked up on racing, you'll need to maintain your concentration on the riding but take the time to look around and enjoy the ride too.

And listen to yourself, if you think you need to stop and clean your goggles or take a good long drink DO IT! No sense crashing and possibly getting seriously injured just because you thought you couldn't afford 60 seconds to clean your goggles or drop some air pressure.

You're gonna have a good time, best of luck!!!!
  16. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you put on the Ims tank don't fill it up all the way. The drz is heavy enough already.

The 606s are not what I'd run for sure at this event get some s12xc's or Dunlop mx51's depending on moisture.
  17. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanted to add...

Take the tail light and headlight off before the race too. Not going to get broken and the bike feels so much lighter with the lights off of it that it's hard to believe.

If you can swing a full exhaust that's allot of weight savings too and is really noticeable.

The weight biggest downside of the DRZ it's just really slow side to side in the turns because it just as so much weight on it.

The other problem I had with the drz was the CV carb loosing power in acceleration bumps, whoops, hard square edges and landing off jumps, an FCR will fix that. Also make sure you disable the side stand switch or it will cut out all the time.
  18. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Each lap is a victory and RELAX!
  19. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Tbone...been following your thread...looks like you and your daughter are having a great time...been taking plenty of notes :D

Hope our weekend works out the same....
  20. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    With a 15 yo daughter it can be a roller coaster at times.:huh:D Never take it so serious you can't laugh at yourself and have fun!