scotland scones are good (NMR)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by KillerPriller, May 8, 2007.

1. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    copy/pasted from my home page. thought i would put it up.

here goes:

Took another little trip last weekend. This time I met up with my old climbing buddy KB in Scotland. He lives with his family in Aberdeen and we had some time to get away for a quick road trip and hike. Here is the ride report:

First thing I had to deal with was KB’s driving. Its not changed since I knew him last, but now it has a new dimension of being on the left side of the road (where he often was anyway). But now as a passenger, I find myself looking at mirrors (as if I was driving) and looking for cars in all the wrong places. Very unsettling feeling.

[​IMG]

we head north out of town looking for the coast. Admittedly, im completely confused because the “North Sea” is on my left, but I thought Aberdeen was on our right. Regardless, its sunny and mild so I don’t complain.

[​IMG]

cruise through a little town called Perth.

[​IMG]

There are just as many OFC’s here as in France.

[​IMG]

On the map I noticed we were just south of a Scottish town called “Scone”. Hmmm, I wonder if they make good Scones here? Turns out, they make the best scones on the planet! Almost like they were invented here.

[​IMG]

Did I mention we had good weather? I think the crappy weather in Scotland is just a myth.

[​IMG]

beautiful roads. Perfect for motorcycling.

[​IMG]

above the tree line (which is only about 1,000ft) the views are fantastic.

[​IMG]

in fact, there were tons of bikes in the highlands. Every rest stop was a biker hangout.

[​IMG]

Our climbing objective for the weekend was a Munro (tall peak) just outside of Glencoe.

[​IMG]

Don’t know the name of it, but our trail goes up this valley, and all the way to the snow fields on the back rim.

[​IMG]

this is about ½ way up the valley.

[​IMG]

On the right rim is a waterfall. Can you see the two climbers on their way down?

[​IMG]

above the snow field.

[​IMG]

2hrs 15min of plodding uphill. Fortunately the altitude was only 3kft so its nothing like Everest.

[​IMG]

but its still a hard enough walk that your forced to think about life, the universe and everything in it. For KB, its just another workout.

[​IMG]

Scottish highland hiking calls for some highland eating. Apparently this place is famous for climbers. I didn’t care. I was hungry enough to eat the parking lot venison!

[​IMG]

KB contemplates our route and hotel options.

[​IMG]

I screwed up the courage to take the wheel for a little while. I’m not too proud to say I was a complete hazard. A life time of driving on the right is difficult to overcome.

[​IMG]

Next morning we got back on the road and did some more sight seeing. Again, the weather was fantastic.

[​IMG]

lots of these phone booths everywhere. Its mandatory for people with cell phones to use them.

[​IMG]

On a back road to Lock Ness we came across this Scottish Commando memorial. The area was just amazing.

[​IMG]

statue was situated among the snow capped highlands. Very cool.

[​IMG]

I had always wanted to see Lock Ness. They wanted half the money in my wallet to see the castle up close when I could see it perfectly well from the parking lot. No thanks.

[​IMG]

KB found a great little mountain town with a killer climbing shop/café. No, its not my bike.

[​IMG]

Fun place, great stuff that’s hard to find in France. KB didn’t believe me when I told him this shirt would look great on my wife.

[​IMG]

all in all, it was a good trip. I would love to head back up there on bikes as the roads looked fantastic.

Cheers

nk
  2. Bill@Mission

Bill@Mission Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Controversy rages whether scones were invented in scone or not BUT
    Scotland does have some fine roads (if a little chilly) - Glen Coe is a personal favourite - do it riding into the setting sun for the best acid-less acid trip of all time.

But beware of sheep - big problem in the highlands - they tend to gather on the tarmac when the sun goes down as it is slightly warmer.

All in all I am blo*dy envious you went back to my hameland afore me!
  3. Boyaghan

Boyaghan n00b

Oddometer:
    Some nice pics there :thumb but no mention of distilleries :eek1 I'm heading up there next week but i'll be riding the roads to the north and west of The Great Glen. Hope the place lives up to expectations.
  4. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

if the weather is anything like what i had, you shouldnt be dissapointed. i was jonesing for my bike the entire time.

nk
  5. andyff013

andyff013 Fireman

Oddometer:
    great pics and report, reminds me of 20 years ago when I went to South Ballachulish on a climbing course whilst I was in the forces. Awesome area -long live the commandos!
  6. BigBlue

BigBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I live in the small town called Perth which is in fact a city commonly known as the 'Fair City' Scone, which is a little village outside Perth and Scone Palace was the ancient Palace where the Kings and Queens of Scotland were crowned. It is also where the Stone of Destiny was originally held.

Thed roads you travelled are our weekend biking roads and the biker stop you were at is called the Green Welly and is famous in Scottish biking circles.

Glad you had a great time and hope you can come back on your bike. If yopu do, get in touch and I will show you other roads that will blow you away. :clap
  7. RICHXHELL

RICHXHELL Scooterist

Oddometer:
    LOvely pics, funny reading :lol3 :clap
  8. Fast_Boy_Slim

Fast_Boy_Slim Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer:
    Its no myth. Check out a locals complexion, suntanned ? i think not. That hair isn't ginger its rust!
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Killer.

Wonder if I can get a seat for the pfig??
  10. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for having me actualy. we had a great time and if i do get a chance to get up there with my bike, i will let you know.

cheers

nk

PS: i liked Perth. nice town. people were very friendly.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice thread
    very interesting pictures

thanks for sharing the images and story with us
  12. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, i am kinda actualy suprised that the owner of this bike hasnt' popped up yet. Beutiful new bike, but it needs an ADV sticker.

anyone know the owner?

[​IMG]
  13. CoolCarbon

CoolCarbon Elsewhere, for now...

Oddometer:
    Not sure if the same shop but there's a character called 'Corsican Dave' that used to hang out on UKGSer that works in one of the Shops in Aviemore and has a, lets say, well used 1150gs...:rofl

Haven't seen nor heard of him in ages so maybe he's invested in something else....:eek1

Good to see you Guys had a good time...I live just outside the City of Perth...great access to amazing roads....as has been said...

Tomorrow, all being well I'll be riding up to Fortrose with a few others to see if we can spot the Dolphins in the Moray Firth....great seeing them breech in the currents so close to the shore.....something else for your itinerary next time your over here...:evil

Great photos!