Northwestern VA Tag!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by bwalsh, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's Rudy next to a sign...
    [​IMG]

Now covered up...
    [​IMG]

Now what does that sign say...
    [​IMG]

A little further back...
    [​IMG]

Another view point...
    [​IMG]

The sign(and Rudy) are located three tenths of a mile North of a lane along a county line and less than 500' North of a lane named after any person born, residing, or stayed longer than seven days in a red neck town. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click on the dictionary link and read a little... :lol3

The road North(and South) of the tag site is a very nice paved twisty road. :D :ricky The roads to the North and East are great Dual Sport roads! :ricky:ricky:ricky

The way I came home. :evil

Don't forget to stop by and check out the Carlsbad of America on your way to or from the tag. Good luck!
  2. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orkney Springs Rd, Broadway, VA a few hundred feet north of and across the road from Deerlick Ln.

Here's Rudy on his post.
    [​IMG]

And here is the official grab photo
    [​IMG]

I came in from the south and left going north. What a gorgeous road. There are lots of interesting places along that road. I suspect we'll be back there. I'd play more often if it wasn't so far away.

Leon.
  3. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    Games, math and alliteration

http://www.mastersgames.com/rules/fox-geese-rules.htm

In this location the fox has just captured a goose by making an appropriate move. What a coincidence! The road sums to 14.

The location has an alliterative name. The name isn't listed on Bing, Google or MapQuest maps although if one enters that name (followed by ", VA" of course) all three mapping programs find it.

This is a photo shopped image that I put together when planning the drop.

[​IMG]

Here's the real photo.
    [​IMG]

Rudy is safely tucked between the third post on the railing and the guard rail as marked by my coffee cup. The post in question is the first one with a reflective marker.
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the hiding spot.
    [​IMG]

Have fun.

Leon.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    :scratch

BTW, did you stop by the Carlsbad of America? :D
  5. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    I didn't stop, but "Happy Pavilion" did elicit a grin. If it weren't so far away, I'd ride those roads more often.

After checking the boundary line, I see that the covered bridge and the balloon mural (which I couldn't find on Google) are both out-of-bounds for this game.
  6. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    No complaints, but no one has indicated they know where it is either.

I was looking at empty spots on the map when I saw this bridge. I remembered riding over it a couple of times and thought it would be a great place for a Tag.

The 'Fox and Geese' theme appeared while doing the research on the location. I had to change the web site for the game as there are other variations that use a different number of geese. It worked well that capturing one goose brings the 'sum' to 14. The two-word alliterative name is not related to 'Fox and Geese', but it does provide another confirmation once you have found the correct location.:hmmmmm

Leon.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I had it...then I remembered it had to be a two-word alliterative name.

:scratch
  8. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    You found it. You just didn't look on enough maps to find the place name. The place name isn't on Google, Mapquest or Bing, but it is on the USGS topographic maps. If you enter the placename from the topo map into one of the other mapping programs, it will find the correct location, it just isn't labeled on their map.
  9. Old Man River

Old Man River Possumdog!

Oddometer:
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanna ride? :deal

It took the second post by Leon to have it all "click".
  11. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    Does your map have State Scenic Rivers marked?

Leon.
  12. optical

optical Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. optical

optical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Duck almost got left behind - He had started to climb up into the Guard rail. I had to drive to Middleburg for some phone signal to double check the picture. When I returned, I fished him out.

Goose Creek / Foxcroft Rd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New tag to come...
  14. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    :clap I thought maybe I'd have to grab a different tag tomorrow . . . maybe I will anyway. Eastern Panhandle is at a ford. I like fords. (note little "f" in "ford" I don't really care either way about big "F" Fords.

Sorry about pushing Rudy that far into the guard rail. I thought he might be seen if he was closer to the end. There was a guy with a metal detector at the bridge when I was there. The little parking area seems to get used fairly frequently.

Leon.
  15. optical

optical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sadly, being new here, I haven't been able to get to far out of my immediate home range. But I know of some near gravel roads around where I live. So Rudy and I set off to see what we could see.

Rudy first wanted to see the Field of Blooms, but I said told him we haven't even got off the pavement yet! We ended up going to check out the Village Mill but soon got TRAPPEd.

But don't worry, you can get to Rudy's new chilling spot via pavement if you want - but the dirt roads are much more fun!

Here is the view on the way in via the pavement. [​IMG]

This bridge is at the corner of two roads. One road adds up to 16 and the other adds up to 14. There are some gorgeous views here of the hills but watch out for the horse trailers - they can make the gravel roads feel small.

To the left of the intersection - looking at the bridge.
    [​IMG]

The view looking back down the gravel road I came in on.
    [​IMG]

Looking back at the intersection from the bridge.
    [​IMG]

To the right of this, Rudy is in the rock wall by this Yellow POSTED sign. He is hiding behind a rock there that will hopefully keep him in place.
    Now you see him...
    [​IMG]
    Now you don't!
    [​IMG]
  16. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    Grab. Trappe Rd at Millville Rd, Upperville.
    [​IMG]

And here's another pic with more bikes and more people.

[​IMG]

The BMW was two up and while they will follow me down gravel roads, they do let me know about it later. I stayed on pavement today.

Leon.
  17. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice grab optical! Good to see the duck moving.

I would have made the grab last week but have been having starting issues with the bike...again.
    Same damn problem that has plagued me "occasionally" for close to two years! :baldy
  18. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    Tag. Mr B's BBQ.
    See the blue flower pot at the right edge of the picture?
    [​IMG]

Rudy is under the blue flowerpot. It's a tight fit, but mallards are malleable.
    [​IMG]

Leon.
  19. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Grab!
    I saw this thread as I was heading back home. I pass this place on my way to summit point all the time!
    I'll try to get pic up from my phone asap. Clue for the next tag: It may be a "Crooked" place, but there is a "Meadow in the Sky"

From Mr. B's. 6967 Lord Fairfax Highway Berryville, VA 22611 . Food wasn't too bad. Not great BBQ, but not bad at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Tag:
    Dewey was a little parched from being under the flower pot all day (I don't think they water them). So, when we got to the new location, he immediately wanted to go swimming in the nearby pond! I warned him to make it quick. The TURNERS don't like it when you go swimming in their POND. In the event he did go swimming, I helped him build a little nest so that he could stay warm and dry if he had to spend the night. You will see it in the last pic. As stated above, our little buddy is in a CROOKED place. It looks nice enough though. In this little valley, they have MEADOWS in the SKY.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]