Daytona Bike Week Planning

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by VStromNC, Dec 27, 2012.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    About that time of the year to start planning for Daytona BIke Week.

Polling to see who is planning to ride down in March. Daytona Bike week starts with Supercross on March 9th and concludes with Daytona 200 on March 16th with other races both on and off the Speedway including Alligator Enduro on 03/14.

I can't take an entire week off so, I am thinking about riding down on Wednesday, 03/13 and riding back on Sunday, 03/17. Not concrete yet on anything.

Here's a link to last year event attended by few of us: Many other links in ADVrider and other.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651244

http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5975&highlight=daytona

I will probably tent camp at the Speedway. Still alot of confusion by event staff on whether Orange Tent camping is free. Unlike last year in which Knybanjo and I had to pay an exorbitant fee to camp, I would highly recommend purchasing tix by mail so that you can simply ride into the tent camping area versus arguing with event staff who appeared to know nothing about free camping for bikes. Also, a printout from Daytona 200 event web site that clearly shows that tent camping is free appears to help.

Here is the one from 2012:

http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/imagehosting/9134f551c0e61986.jpg

I will be riding my trusty V Strom 1K down as usual. I am open to any route although I do want to get into the Speedway before dark.

Thanks to Colemanfu last year for his hospitality and showing us some excellent riding areas around Daytona.

Jon
  2. guiri

guiri Guest

Damn Jon, small world!

I just saw this :D

George
  3. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    That was a fun hang. Let's plan to go it again if ya want.
    [​IMG]
    We'll get sorted when it gets closer.
  4. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I will look you up when I get down to Daytona. I will buy the drinks if you cook the wings!:clap

I haven't heard from Kevin (Knybanjo) if he is going down or not.

Thanks.

Jon
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    We normally have handful of guys riding down and meeting up in Daytona Orange Tent Camping area. Ideal place as you are at the Speedway to see all the races and easy access to all the vendors and bike manufacturers so that you can test ride the new bikes, etc. Hooters is also right across the street.:clap

Feel like riding down this year?

BTW, it is exactly 500 miles from Charlotte to Daytona Speedway. Good day ride for the VStrom 1K. The strange thing is that by the time you get further south and hit I-95, the whole interstate becomes sort of Trailer Week vs. Bike Week. Never seen so many trailers in my life in one place going down to Daytona BIke Week.

Jon
  6. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    As of this writing, Daytona Bike Week is still about month and half away. Might as well start discussing rider and bike prep.

First order of business- Global Warming- True or Not. No one knows for sure but the weather is definitely warmer now than years ago. I recall having all my electric gear- Gerbing Jacket and Gloves with ample other layering to keep any wind from getting in and still freezing my ass off. Last year was completely different as I had all my electric gear and high tech gears only to pull off and strip down as I was getting overheated. Not sure what it will be like this year but would still recommend electric gear just in case. I ama also planning to purchase the Freeze Out Long Johns this year from local Cycle Gear as I normally have some wind seepage even with my other Long John underlayer pants around the knee area.

Jon.
  7. guiri

guiri Guest

Can't but yall enjoy.

I've got four dogs in the house and no one to take care of them.

GEorge
  8. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i think i will ride down and camp the infield for a couple days. I'm over due for a trip..
  9. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Cool. Maybe we can all have an ADVrider meetup area in the Infield camping ( orange tent camping) area.

Jon
  10. guiri

guiri Guest

I'm sure you guys will have a blast :)
  11. kicktenmin

kicktenmin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sound like fun im in to it wed to sun is good for me
  12. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    This year will be about my 8th trip down since 1995. For the fourth time, we're staying at Alexander Springs RA in the Ocala NF. It's a nice, quiet campground with a warm spring, canoe trails and a bit of hiking trails. 30m from Main Street.

[​IMG]

Bike Week is always a great trip with lots of neat things to see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. guiri

guiri Guest

Damn! That looks awesome.

Love the Spartacus dog :D
  14. frenchwv

frenchwv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading down Thursday the 14th from Silver Spring. Anyone is welcome to ride along if they want.
  15. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about the races from Alligator Enduro, Flat Track Races, Supercross and Road Races covering all classes!

Jon
  16. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Cool. You are in Charlotte, correct?

Jon
  17. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
  18. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Here's a Ducati Tease "Model".

[​IMG]

Jon
  19. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    OK. I called 1800 Pit Shop and ordered my tix to Daytona Speedweek races.

03/14- Flat Track races
    03/15- Supersport races
    03/16- Daytona 200

$99.00 for tix to all events above including free camping.

As expected, the ticket agent told me that camping was free to bikers with tickets at the Geico Caveman Camping area. It was previously called Orange Tent Camping area.

I guess that I am all set.:clap

I will be arriving the evening of 03/13 from Charlotte. 500 miles and I am itching to get to Daytona.

Anyone else arriving in that timeframe and camping?

Jon
  20. rush2112_2112

rush2112_2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jon,

See you at the flat track......

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk HD