F800GS vs. KTM 990 Adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Pantah, Sep 11, 2011.

1. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    apparently they do enjoy latte!

[​IMG]
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of the guys from OC perspectives are from a dirt background. I had my heart set on an HP2 E, I still yearn, and then some arshole lent me his KTM, I went to the dealer and test rode the SE. I've had a F800 living in my garage, worked on and so on. I really like em, cracking all purpose bike, but if you grew up spitting dirt from your fissog, you get the KTM’s characteristics.
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.........This was to be expected when you play out two rasta`s like that....:lol3 It is how ever amusing to read......
    I`m good with it.....:freaky

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    ALIEN vs PREDATOR.......:freaky..... Alright....Shutting up....:D

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Griz ... :wave

Glad to see you are still with us! :D
  6. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Wait what? Oh really.

About KTM 990.

Again about the 990.:turkish

Wait I thought you didn't like the looks.:rofl

But I thought you didn't like the looks.:jomomma
  7. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you're saying that only doing part of the KTM's recommended oil change procedure is "nearly as fast as" doing all of BMW's recommended oil change procedure??? :huh

that doesn't seem like a logical way to compare bikes.
  8. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I thought of something else. I hated the dish in the stock seats of both my 950 and then my F800. The 950 was an even worse torture device. But, that doesn't really matter because both are easily "fixable" to whatever you like. Its only money! :lol3

However, there has been a significant difference for me in the "endurance" department. For some reason, I can ride my F800 all day long for multiple days, in reasonable comfort. The (modified) ergonomics work fairly well for me. I never could seem to get long-term comfortable on my 950. I needed more frequent pitstops on the 950. Man, I can really rack up some miles on the F800 before feeling fatigue. Just the way it is.

I did a 3,000 mile trip this past July over 11 days. 3 days were spent hiking on the Appalachian Trail. So, 8 days were in the saddle....in terrrible heat, I might add. But, I honestly could have kept on going if I had the time (no lack of desire).

During this trip, I formed my own new opinion.....my thoughts on the passing scene. I actually got tired...very tired....of waving at other riders. So much so, that I just quit waving. When you go so far, for so many days, through areas (like TN to VA) with lots of riders....it kind of becomes annoying.

That's when it hit me like a slap in the face: BMW riders aren't snobs, they just ride farther and more often than everyone else. Revelation was something you always knew, just never realized. Yeah...it was a kind of like that.

I don't mean this sarcastically. And yes, its a bit rhetorical. But this is a true story about a true moment of insight, and its how I felt. That's one of the differences in the F800 vs. 950 for me. I'm riding the F800 farther and farther, for more consecutive days, than I've ever ridden anything else. Just am. Interesting. Must mean something.

HF :thumbup

p.s. The parallel twin motor is an old, reliable, standard....nothing new. It looks very similar to the parallel twin on some old Yamahas (500+?) from the 70's or 80's...?? I wish I could remember the model. But, I swear I've seen a motor like this before.
  9. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D Been riding and maintaining trails with the G450X almost every weekend this Summer. It's been a blast! It's been keeping me off the ADV grid.
  10. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes thats what I said. Have you changed oil on both? If you have pulled screens a few times and found nothing you may do the same, maybe not, but most do. Sorry if you dont think thats comparable but I was comparing my two bikes the way I do the oil changes and I consider both of them to be a complete oil change. I would suspect a lot of people dont continue to lube cables, or check valves, or battery levels at the recommended intervals if they find these things dont need to be done at the interval the manufacturer deems necessary. Remember that they are protecting themselves above and beyond what may really be necessary.
    But then again you may be more "logical" then I am.
    And for crying out loud, I was addressing the OP and closed out by saying "Clearly you owe it to yourself to ride both- think about where you ride or want to ride. And choose what you feel suites you the best-then you made the right decision no matter what I or any one else says." Is that logical enough ? :baldy
  11. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    These threads always degenerate into flinging poo.

Cant we all just get along?

:feelgood

:lol3
  12. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
  13. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Francis.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am probably going to buy an 800. HighFive makes strong argument for endurance, but my typical rides are 400-700 miles per day over several days. The last one was from Phoenix to Roanok to Boston in 4 days. The one before that was Seattle/Canol Roads/Fairbanks/Valdez/Anchorage and back. 7500 miles in 13 days. So the KTM isn't that bad doing 14 hour days as long as I wear compression undershorts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the oil change just isn't that hard. The fairings come off with 5 screws per side. The fuel tanks have 2 per side I believe, plus the bottom anchor on each side. The fuel hose is a bit fiddly, but it doesn't take much time to do a change.

What appeals to me most about the BMW is that it is a little smaller, has good ergo's for the long trail, gets more range with less fuel (read weight), and there are plenty dealers to service it on my long trips.

While it may not have the suspension capability of the KTM, I can't believe its not up to fire roading, which is all I do with my KTM.

My friends ride KLR's though...maybe I just bag it and buy one of those:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again. Meanwhile, I'm going on my first wr2r ride. It is waiting for me in Salt Lake. Doing the CDR on my tiddler staring Monday! :D

:freaky
  15. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
  16. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
  18. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yamaha tdm 800.
  19. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:

Look, I get that BMW as a motorcycle stood for the highest quality standard set by a manufacturer in it's time. And that for many, many years, the motorcycle buying public who aspired to that level of quality wanted to be associated with the label of BMW. And a lot of long range adventure tourers owe some respect to the niche BMW helped define with the GSPD and beyond... just like how Honda paved the way with the Africa Twin and Transalp, and Ducati with the Elephant, Kawasaki with it's Tengai 650, etc, etc, etc.

But times are a changin... my friends.

Individual bikes are better suited for individual riders... I would never "recommend" a KTM 990 to a novice, nor would I recommend it to the vertically challenged or to the lighter side of strength and stature. Just as I'm sure other bikes are nuanced toward or against their owners/ riders.

Which simply means, what works perfectly for one person, doesn't always translate to others as a whole. I'm of a unique body type where I'm tall enough to handle the inseam for a 950 S and yet low enough to elude the "said" wind screen buffeting. In other words, it's not for everyone.

That's where the beauty of diversity in the market comes into play. With the growing number of proficient manufacturers, there stands a better chance of a perfect fit, a perfect bike for "everyone."

And with that thought in mind, thank god there is not just "one" motorcycle company out there where it's tribe of followers attempt to pressure all others into falling into the trap of a one size fits all world.

Brand philosophy is one thing... however, product exclusivity is a completely different thing... bordering on Marxism.

Best we just learn to agree to disagree, while appreciating the freedom of competition, freedom of choice... and freedom of f**king speech... you wannabeemer f**kers...
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    And whilst most of thou fellow riders will agree with your first part...... it is the latter that shall not suffice as good
    Intentions, and therefourth should be stricken..... Since it has no merit... And to such extend serves no purpose....

Erling