My First Versys Tour What Worked and What Didn't

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Dranrab Luap, May 22, 2012.

1. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I could post this in the big versys thread, but it would eventually get lost. I'll give it its own thread so that when someone searches Versys they get an easy to find review...and discussion if any useful discussion follows.

I just got back off of a 5 day tour that took me from the flat lands of New Orleans to the twisties of NC, VA, and TN. For a frame of reference, I have done similar tours on a Wee-Strom, DR650, Burgman 650, GSX650F, and an FJR1300. With all the other bikes but the GSX, I had what I would describe as an issue. I had no issues with the Versys. It simply worked!

On the slab at an indicated 78-80 (actual 73-75) I averaged mid-40's for fuel economy. I had hoped for a little better, but that's not bad. I can do a 200 mile run fairly confidently with a bit of room for error. The vibrations that people speak of when they speak of an 09 Versys are there, but they are not an issue for me. They are neither intrusive nor fatiguing. The mirrors are blurry, but useful as they are. I rode down a gravel road getting to my cabin and the bike did fine where it was hard packed. There was some loose gravel in places. It got a little busy there, but not as bad as my street bikes would have. It's just slightly less competent in that kind of stuff than the Wee-Strom. The power was great. Whether it was a roll on on the slab, a drop a few gears and quick pass on the double yellow or getting on it out of the corners, the power was tractable, predictable and adequate. The injection on this bike is spot-on. It's free from the annoying glitches that plaque many bikes. That's the basics, now I'll do a mod by mod review.

MRA Vario Touring Screen. It worked OK for me. I may try to improve on it. Most of the trip I was able to adjust it where I would get clean air to the upper part of the helmet. When in traffic though, the turbulence would cause a bit of buffeting that made the tip of my nose itch. Oddly, that has always been the barometer for me. I should note that I am 5'11" and sit tall in the saddle. I tinkered a little bit by ducking and changing my lean and was able to find either a quiet spot or clean air. I think this is a me issue rather than a product issue. The screen worked, just not as well as I would have liked.

My Powerlet 12V power plug worked as intended. It's well built, easy to instal and easy to use.

I already had a Garmin Zumo. While I have had it for several years, I haven't used it that much. It died on me during the trip. It stopped responding to my touch. A fellow rider quipped that it must be related to my girlfriend. I'll send it back to the factory for the $100 refurbish.

The Kaoko Throttle Lock is expensive at $120, but that sucker works fabulously. Much better and much simpler than the Vista I had on another bike. When used in conjunction with a Cramp Buster, it was a blessing on long slab stretches. My wrists are prone to fatigue and with this set up, I was able to relax either wrist at any given time. I will never be without a Kaoko on a bike unless I have electronic cruise control.

My Givi 45L top Case and E21 side cases swallowed more than enough gear for the trip. If I need more storage, a waterproof bag bungied to the passenger seat will do the trick.

My T-Rex frame sliders were also worth every penny. I don't know that they will offer the crash protection that crash bars will, but I am confident they will help, but at 69 bucks with a simple install, they are much more economical. They were great for an alternative footrest on long stretches on the slab. I rode with my feet up there for as much as 20 minutes at a time.

I have said it elsewhere on this forum. The Seat Concepts seat is the way to go on this bike. Even after paying to have a local upholsterer build the seat for me, it came in about half the price of the competition and the nice thing is, I was only without my seat for a half of a day. Most stretches on the slab were about 150 miles. At the end of those stretches I was ready for a little gas, water and a butt break. Most other stock saddles found me squirming at or before the 100 mile mark. I should note too, that I hadn't ridden in a year and a half, so my butt wasn't in touring condition.

After the Seat Concepts install, I found myself further from the bars. This is due to the added height and the dish of the seat pulling me further away. I added a SW Motech bar riser and it did the trick. At 69 bucks it's inexpensive and easy to install.

The GSX650F is the best budget sport tourer made. Better on the slab than the Versys. It is smooth, planted and free from buffeting. It is faster and gets better fuel economy. It is a heavier bike though and the Versys is just so much easier to manage in the twisties. I am happy with my choice especially from a value perspective.
  2. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thx for sharing. :feelgood
  3. kc4sox

kc4sox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. I've had my Versys 10 months and I've clocked 20,000 miles on it so far. I live in East Tn near North Carolina. I spend a couple of days a week at Deals Gap and I've done a considerable amount of touring on the bike. I have to say, it's one of the best bikes I've ever owned and, as close to a "Do it all" bike as you can get. very capable as a touring bike and very good in the twisties.
  4. Bigolechalupa

Bigolechalupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up Paul. As someone who is on a GSX650F and looking into a Versys...:wink:
  5. ec90t

ec90t Banned

Oddometer:
    You should probably look into the vibration free GPS mount that Twisted throttle sells. The vibes that come through the bars must be at the right frequency to create havoc with the GPS. Mine is starting to show some crazy stuff on longer rides so I removed it off the bike until I get a new mount.
  6. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    The mirrors from a Tuono are a common mod; fit straight on, no blurring, clear at any speed :deal

Nice write-up Paul; it's a suprising little bike isn't it, justifying the cliche of 'better than the sum of it's parts'?
  7. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Nope. I have done that on other bikes, but I am happy with this one right where it is. I did one stretch where I was running an actual 65 or so for most of it and my mileage didn't change.
  8. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Price and source of supply?

And yes, the bike is as close to a competent do it all as I have ever owned. We'll see if I feel the same way after some 600 mile days out west in the middle of July.:D

I forgot to mention the brakes. They aren't great. The rear is too easy to lock up and the front takes some persuasion to act properly. In some ways having a front that takes some effort to lock up is a good thing.
  9. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    The Tuono mirrors came on my bike; maybe just keep an eye on ebay or owners forums?

As for the brakes, my '07 has braided lines. I'm not convinced they are initially better than stock, but allegedly they degrade less with repeated use. In any event, I'd rate the front brakes as adequate. They seem to need a decent squeeze to get feel, not much initial bite (which is fine imho, 90% of the time).

I'm not that worried about them, especially as the chassis is flickable and the engine-braking is decent.

If you gave me $1000 and told me I must spend it on the bike, I think I'd go with a full front/rear Hyperpro suspension kit (about £525, in our money, before fitting).
  10. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Any of the aftermarket Buell places will have the mirrors in stock. Very common Buell Uly mod.
  11. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    Thanks for this info. I am looking into buying one myself. What experience have you had with off road other than gravel?
  12. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I just bought the bike, so the hard pack was all the experience I have and all I would really want. The suspension is too stiff to do more than bounce leisurely down hard pack. If you have visions of doing anything more in the dirt, there are better bikes.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope I don't derail your thread. I'm curious what your issue was with the Wee.

Jamie
  14. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    The only thing I didn't like about it was the wind management. It got blown all over the road...badly, and even after 3 different windscreens, I couldn't get clean air. The buffeting was so bad that I felt like my head had been in a paint shaker when I got off. Otherwise it was a fantastic bike. Economy dropped of pretty badly running at an actual 75, but that wasn't a huge deal.
  15. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Inadequate front suspension for anything other than smooth gravel, in my experience. The fork packs up and quits working on stutter bumps if you are going over about 30mph. Tends to get going toward a tank slapper at 40 on the stutter bumps, too. I'd also use money for suspension before anything other than the seat.
  16. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I've done a 1600km run in 3 days over here in Portugal, and have come out of it super deligthed with my versys.

It did everything well, returning a whooping 4.3l/100km of average. It was all back roads, lots of curves so no real high-speed milage. If I could change one thing... maybe the horrific buzz I can't seem to shake off! It's my 3rd instruments clusters in 14.000km and I've almost given up!

But as I drive listening to music, i've became used to it and doesn't bother me that much.

For me the versys is close to the perfect machine. Guess the new one (V1000) corrects what I find this one lacking: 2-up interstate travelling :D