Blue Ridge Parkway speed limit change

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by ScEd, May 24, 2012.

1. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this announcement for the BRP and thought it worth a mention. Federal speeding tickets are >$500.00.
    Effective immediately, the speed limit between Highway 74A and Highway 25 (Hendersonville Road) on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. will be reduced from 45 miles per hour to 35 miles per hour.
  2. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze The Great Unwashed Mass

Oddometer:
    Revenue generator? LOTS of locals use that section as a short cut. Thanks for the heads up.
  3. douglasgraham

douglasgraham This is my car

Oddometer:
    Crap. And 500 for a fed speeding ticket........yekees. Ill be using the roads down below.
  4. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but the ticket does not go on your driver's license. From that perspective $500 is a bargain. Just sayin:evil
  5. Bowtie76

Bowtie76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My federal ticket was only $120 and it most definately wound up on my driving record here in VA.
  6. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:

same here
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    +3. The Park police(BRP & SNP) lie like a rug when they tell you it wont show up on your record...
  8. CurveLover

CurveLover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was just about to make a post about what to do when you spotted a couple of 50cc scooters up on the parkway. I hadn't heard of this law, and I was up there just the other day- when I saw a couple of 50cc'ers, no plates, revving their tiny engines into oblivion and going almost 45 mph.

This is one aspect of this law that may not be so obvious, but it is going to open up the parkway to all those 50cc's now for that stretch of road. And that's a busy stretch of the parkway, too.

Oh...NO.

:ddog
  9. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the brp are we talking about?
  10. CurveLover

CurveLover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's lookin like almost 5 miles, from what I can see on google maps. If that's all the way to 25 (Hendersonville Road), that is, not to just 25A (Sweeten Creek Rd). I take that route once in a while, but not usually. And now? Nevahhhhh!
  11. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    WOW ... Thanks for the heads up....
  12. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question, on Google Earth looks like less than five miles. I will try to ride it today and see.
    This will increase accidents in my openion. The stretch has so many accidents because of the slow traffic of the sight seers clashing with the locals cutting across the parkway to get where they are going. This saves the locals a lot of miles. Morning and afternoon on workdays this stretch becomes the Ashville autobon. So the drivers on a high speed schedule to get to or from work will now be dealing with those that are going to run 10-MPH under what ever the speed limit is. Then add us riders into the mix, most have been on a 45+ MPH rythem for miles and suddenly were in rush hour ma-lay :lol3. Oh, and add no passing zones to the mix even though you can see several hundred feet. This will not end well.
  13. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    please give the google map segment. no clue where this is.
    thx.
  14. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Once they do that ..
    It's not far behind that they might change the whole thing!!!
  15. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grid N35 32 24, W82 30 10 appears to be midway.
  16. CurveLover

CurveLover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PIcs or it didn't happen?

http://www.citizen-times.com/articl...heville?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Yeah, it happened. From what the article says, you MIGHT get away with just a warning the first time, but within a month or two, it's back to tickets.

40 MPH would have been the... ticket
  17. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    VA Law: No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Operating a moped faster than 35 miles per hour is deemed by Virginia law to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license.

Matt Danielson (McGrath Law Group in Richmond VA) was in support of legislation in the General Assembly that would not count incidents of speeding by mopeds/scooters against motorcycle statistics. Politicians have a funny way of exploiting statistics for their own purpose. :D
  18. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the section today. It is marked well, 4.8-miles long and today also included a construction zone. Saw a park ranger in a pickup truck behind a group of about 15 bikes, blue lights on and siren blaring. Last bike rider looking like "he cant want me to stop":lol3 So maybe they will be concentrating on big groups of out of state riders, Easy-Money.
  19. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad boy
  20. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer: