The Mountains of the East

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Riff, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .....Just an idea.

Good luck, thanks again, PM me some day if you want ride ideas, and CONGRATS on 30 years of marriage!

Doug

Hey Doug

:rofl Love It! This sounds like someone who has done there homework [pun intended] here. In all seriousness this is the kind of wisdom I expected from the adventurers of this site, and I have not been disappointed. This coincides withe what I have been thinking and feeling. My problem, and my weakness is that I am a man of strong passions [native American, and Irish Ancestry] that tend to get me in trouble if I don't control it, and this despite the maturity of my years [58]:poser! I've always maintained that I will never grow old gracefully, and that I am firm believer in "Peter Pan" I won't never grow up! Who or what defines how we are supposed to act a certain age anyway...... ! A discussion best left for campfire somewhere, sometime! :lol3

I like your insight. The Fox and I will celebrate 30 on April 11, 2011. Did your parents happen to live on or come from the Appalachia's near Cumberland? :rofl We seem to possess a similar tastes and insights when it comes to Beautiful, Smart Women and great Motorcycles! :clap I may have a long lost brother! :lol3

May You and Your Girlfriend
    [they will always be our Girlfriends]
    Know Many Great and Wonderful Rides Together

Gene
  2. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my "homework" consists of multiple brutal lessons in the wisdom of the old saying, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!". :puke1 I'm glad I could share some of my hard-won wisdom! Too many years like that...

I am now married to a complete sweetheart that loves to share time doing what I like to do and therefore I love to share time doing what she loves to do. Thankfully there are large areas of overlap including motorcycling, hiking, kayaking, working on our land, etc. (but she won't let me build a motocross track, dammit).

A couple of centuries ago my family was from Virginia, then moved West to Texas and Colorado and then into Wyoming. I suppose it's possible we're long-lost kin! :lol3

Have a great day, Cousin Riff. Say howdy to Uncle Raff for me!

Doug
  3. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

.... A couple of centuries ago my family was from Virginia, then moved West to Texas and Colorado and then into Wyoming. I suppose it's possible we're long-lost kin! :lol3

Have a great day, Cousin Riff. Say howdy to Uncle Raff for me!

Doug

Uncle Raff doing good! Since he heeeerd of new kin in the mountains he hasn't stopped celebratn' We gonna haf to purform a jug-ectomy on his shootn hand. :lol3

Later Cuuz!
  4. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New project in the works! I will ride again this year before the snow flies. I have some old ride files somewhere in here. With all the good advice I have been getting, and the way the weather is getting. I'm thinking a move not only West, but South West! Ride all year long! Now that's what I'm talking about! But until that can happen I Gotta Ride and gotta shoot some pictures! I have enjoyed greatly lurking around all the phenomenal threads on this web site! Soon [I Hope].
  5. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh Technology is a wonderful thing! When it works! I need always remind myself technology is only as good as the men inventing and using it, and since there has never been a perfect human [save one] no technology is infallible. Two days, and two and a half months and I can report on this ride! :rofl My bad! These are from a ride I took back in August on a sunny hot humid Monday to Berkley Springs WV 51.6 miles of some pretty amazing roads. Not one stop light from the Cumberland city limits to Berkley Springs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ned=us&tab=nl Here it is! Check this out!

The following pictures are just form one spot along the trip. They are on Route 9 just outside of Berkley Springs right in front of the "Panorama At The Peak". See the website on line at http://www.panoramaatthepeak.com/ . A good ride:

The view from the overlook in front of the restaurant looking down on the city of "Great Cacapon".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Farm across the valley.
    [​IMG]

It was back during the heatwave and I was feeling pretty warm that what I thought was a buzzard circling me. I remembered this ride and saw these pics for the first time since August and started exploring. At closer inspection of my friend here I discovered something.
    [​IMG]

The marking on my friend where very significant. This is what I found as I enlarged and cropped the picture that follows.
    [​IMG]
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beautiful. If only I had a 500 mm lens.
  6. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This trip on Route 9 is one I had taken some twenty years ago, and have not been on until last summer thanks to "Kira". This road is made for a bike not a car. Only motorcyclists can understand what I mean by that. :clap

[​IMG]

The "Panorama At The Peak"
    [​IMG]

More than just pretty scenery! Where is my "Geologist" friend!
    [​IMG]

But for the Love of the Ride. It's stuff like this that brings a smile to our faces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the views are the icing on the cake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Long And Winding Road

[​IMG]
    Time to Fly

She's waiting! And You Don't Keep a Gorgeous Woman Waiting!
    [​IMG]

Waiting to get back on the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I say it was HoT!? And you ask "How Hot was it?".
    [​IMG]

From here I drop down into Berkley Springs where I pick up 522 South to Winchester Va, hop on Route 50 West to Romney WV, and then take Route 28 back into ......
    [​IMG]
    Cumberland 153 miles round trip! Just a hop skip and a jump. Barely warmed the engine. But! Definitely Warmed the heart.
  7. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    Still watching, and like the yellow/orange wheels
  8. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ++ 1 :thumb
  9. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap Great pictures and story from a great section of the country. I've been trying to get back to the Eastern Mountains but these last minute decisions for the Rockies keep getting in the way. But, my trip this time was done in by having to upgrade the steering in my bassboat. Sigh!
    Thanks for the time and effort to share. :clap :clap :clap
  10. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LIke the Dicken's Classic "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.". :eek1 :lol3 Does anyone have a life I can borrow for a while? :lol3 Sunday night is not the best time for me to ruminate and reminisce about the events over the last couple of weeks. The icing on the cake is that the one thing that gives me the greatest sense of Euphoria [aside from my wife and what I do for a living] is riding and the resulting "Macadam Madness", or "Tarmac Transcendence" where I realize a higher plane of existence :lol3. I have NO Time for! :becca I need to go get some cheese to go with this "WHINE"! Right? I've got something in the wings here in the interim. I've got to upload some pics to "Smugmug" that will help explain things. More to come Shortly!?

"Signal and Matteo" glad to see people are still out there enjoying the thread, and yeah I love my girls lines and looks I go check on Her everyday even when I can't ride Her. I'll go in the garage and talk to Her ... Kira! :eek1 Anyone beside me worried about that statement? :rofl

I hear ya talking "Andy". I am seriously planning the "Blue Ridge Parkway" run this coming year [check out the thread from "RockingRog"]. It goes with out saying I definitely hear the call of the West tugging at my heart strings, but as yet I haven't exhausted all the possibilities of the "Mountains of the East" yet. Here in the Mountains we are going into the "RUT"! Deer Hunting Flu is rampant right now, and for many around here that takes precedence over almost everything. They even close Schools for that week; they say for administrative purposes [yeah right]. I am decidedly confused state of mind [normal for me] right now. Too bad I can't ride and hunt at the same time. hhhmmmmmm getting some ideas here!

Alright let me get some pics uploaded! Be back in a moment or two.
  11. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "Love - Hate" relationship is better explained visually than to attempt to describe it verbally! [Yeah I know ladies men are visual, and women are better! Right?] I love living here in the Appalachia's, but there are times when the weather prevents you from doing some things you enjoy the most. .... Well check this out!

[​IMG]
    See what I mean? You can't argue with this kind of beauty, but.....

[​IMG]
    Just last January, ... into February..... INTO..... let's just say I really enjoyed April!

The Deck on back of the house!
    [​IMG]
    This was the first of the two back to back storms. The promise is that this year is supposed to be just like this scene. :eek1 JOY!

The road in front of the house! the City plow has already come through!
    [​IMG]

Friend and Neighbor trying to make safe passage! REALLY?
    [​IMG]

And it finally stops This is what you have.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the insult added to injury? Try going from 1/4 ton of fast moving fun, 163HP, 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds, 6 speed Bavarian mechanical masterpiece to 9HP Briggs and Stratton 5 speed forward three speed backwards, tank tread drive "Yard Man" snow cannon!
    [​IMG]
    :cry NOT Pretty! :huh

Like I said; I love living here, but there is a price to pay! :lol3 Oh Yeah I'm feeling it!

[​IMG]

The Hope of Spring! It's just around the corner.
    [​IMG]

Winter is not here yet, but cooler temperatures, rainy weather is. Couple this with sunset comes around 5:00pm and ..... ??? did I just hear "Kira" calling for me?
  12. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had watched the weather all week and Monday looked good. the "Weatherman" called it right this time. It was nice. I am not ready to store her away for the winter. Martin called and said he was under the weather. So I struck out on my own. Actually I prefer that some times. From Cumberland, South and East seemed to be the best route today. Dropped down 51 to Paw Paw WV and stared heading south crossing "Hampshire County" line just south of Paw Paw on route 9

[​IMG]

I pick up 29 and continue south just outside of "Slanesville"
    [​IMG]

Gorgeous country side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falling a sleep here ... going to bed finish tomorrow. .....
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    you take some good pics! i've enjoyed them all as well as the presentation. but...i too avoided a cruise for many years thanks to the US NAVY and the USS SAVANNAH, USS EISENHOWER, USS NASSAU and a few military sealift command ships. But I was surprised Carnival Cruze line has it together. you can make a bunch of points that will pay dividends forever by taking THE FOX on that cruize! if you can find a deal at 50% off, you will not regret the trip. I will not pay $1k each, but our last one was $250 each and well worth it. hopeing to ride in your area next summer.
  14. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you take some good pics! i've enjoyed them all as well as the presentation. but...i too avoided a cruise for many years thanks to the US NAVY and the USS SAVANNAH, USS EISENHOWER, USS NASSAU and a few military sealift command ships. But I was surprised Carnival Cruze line has it together. you can make a bunch of points that will pay dividends forever by taking THE FOX on that cruize! if you can find a deal at 50% off, you will not regret the trip. I will not pay $1k each, but our last one was $250 each and well worth it. hopeing to ride in your area next summer.

Roger Surfer on the Cruise. Last time I went out was a weekend cruise out of Norfolk up to the old Brooklyn Navy yard aboard the ole USS Borie an old WW II Destroyer decommissioned in 1972. Yeah that qualifies me as an old fart! :lol3

I am looking up some deals and checking out the contacts. If you know anyone you could recommend send me a PM. I really want to do this for "THE FOX". She has already said this is something she wants to do, and She has put up with a lot from me and I need and want to reward her. :rofl

I Love photography. It is something I do for enjoyment. No schooling just OJT and self study, motivated by the joy of taking interesting eye catching pics. It helps me to try express visually what I feel when words sometimes seem inadequate.

If you decide to come north next summer, PM me and I'll map you the non touristy Motorcycle hot spots. This area rich with rides in every direction of Cumberland. Most locals take for granted. Thanks and talk at you later. Gonna post some more of this recent ride, and you'll see what I mean.
  15. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got some Rest..... Complete the Ride. --- Last Monday 11/22

[​IMG]
    Continuing south bound on rt 29 just south of "Hanging Rock" off Rt 50.

Your not in the City anymore. This is the "hinterland". Largely untraveled by most and taken for granted by the locals. But on a motorcycle, the views the smells, the experiences speak for themselves.
    [​IMG]

Official Appalachian mode of transportation!
    [​IMG] Liberty Gas Station in the community of "Del Ray". Stopped here and gassed up Kira, coffee and a sticky bun. This is during "Deer" season, and the clerk said that they checked in nine that morning.

Like I said the roads and the views from the seat of a bike are like you are perusing a museum of incredible masterpieces!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original Rides from Classic Stables are found in abundance!
    [​IMG]
    Clean lines, Looks great, very efficient, No Frills, Only One HP :lol3

Like many other areas around this region there is a lot of history. Most of it has been forgotten, except for those who live near by who take it for granted. For example:
    [​IMG]
    Attention all you fishermen! Take notice of the sign behind the sign!

All the great highways and freeways that more efficiently, and more rapidly take us from point "A" to point "B" that rob us of this kind of travel? Just a thought! Maybe there is something to be said for the long way round as opposed to the shortest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"WARNING!" VIEWING THESE PICTURES MAY CAUSE YOU TO AVOID MAJOR HIGHWAYS AND FREEWAYS. EXTREME CAUTION SHOULD BE TAKEN!

[​IMG]
    Now here's a ride!
    Pretty impressive "Specs"!
    [​IMG]

The Starter is definitely "Old School", and could prove to be a little challenging!
    [​IMG]

Awesome Rims!
    [​IMG]

Powerful lines
    [​IMG]
  16. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost River: A restored barn houses a Museum, Antiques, and local crafts display and sales.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Potato Grader

[​IMG]
    That's right the proverbial "Pot Belly Stove"!

This next item in it's original form barely recognized today! Not an original Hoover!
    [​IMG]
    :eek1 Whaaaa ? :rofl

Break Time for an "Artsy" Pic!
    [​IMG]

Get out the Green and Yellow hats one of the Original "John Deere" farm equipment!
    [​IMG]

Rolling right along!
    [​IMG]

Something Old, and something new!
    [​IMG]
  17. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember this is a "Day Trip". From Cumberland to Paw Paw to Mathias it is only 88 miles one way. I've only come about 83.4 miles to this point. Here is the rest of the trip to Mathias.

Around the corner from "Lost River" I had stopped to take some pictures, and a local resident pulled up beside me and said "Drop around the turn and take the first left on "Lower Cove Road" in "Lost City" it'll take you up on the mountain side and you will see all over the valley and see more than down here!" I think he had an alternative motive! The view was spectacular as he had said, but I found something else as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The good town and views of Lost City WV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally I reach Mathias and find:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    for it's day and age at their stage of technology it was strong and lasting structures.

The people themselves would become the names of legend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the rustic charm make the place heart warming.
    [​IMG]

As I had said in the beginning the "Weatherman" got it right and the day was good.
    [​IMG]

And the sign tell the story of season! Deer Hunting! [ Starts this coming Saturday in Maryland - can't wait! ]

[​IMG]

The old adage goes something like "the lessons of history that we fail to remember are the ones we are doomed to repeat". May we never forget our history, forget where we came from and who they where that got us to where we are today. It is not a perfect world that we live in today and it will never be one. Historic revisionists can not rewrite truth with out lying, nor can they in their lies obliterate the truth. All that is necessary is for us to forget our past and let it fade into non existence. That would be the greatest tragedy of our day!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well at 4:30 pm this time of year sun light is fading quickly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light is dimming and it is time to get back up the road.
    [​IMG]

To Cumberland[​IMG]
  19. volgunner

volgunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came across your thread this morning when I was up early to start the Thanksgiving ritual of seemingly endless cooking. I'm struck by the similarities between the "Northern" and "Southern" parts of Appalachia-both stunningly beautiful and loaded with historical interest.

I'm thinking that our traditional way of dividing the country between North and South is artificial and rooted in political disputes that tend to obscure the similarities. Your thread has me thinking I should get up in that direction for a look around.

Oh, and no need to apologize for the "Eastern Mountains": they're as beautiful as those in the West, but in a completely different way.

Keep up the good work, and let's see some more pics.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Russell
  20. Riff

Riff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came across your thread this morning when I was up early to start the Thanksgiving ritual of seemingly endless cooking. I'm struck by the similarities between the "Northern" and "Southern" parts of Appalachia-both stunningly beautiful and loaded with historical interest.

I'm thinking that our traditional way of dividing the country between North and South is artificial and rooted in political disputes that tend to obscure the similarities. Your thread has me thinking I should get up in that direction for a look around.

Oh, and no need to apologize for the "Eastern Mountains": they're as beautiful as those in the West, but in a completely different way.

Keep up the good work, and let's see some more pics.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Russell

Hey Russell Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well. :clap

Thank you. You are right. I love our mountains. It has been my hope to let the whole world know in my thread how great and beautiful it is be from and live here. We do have it good, all season riding [depending on your geographic location N & S :lol3 pun intended ], and as you said we have a different beauty from the mountains of the west. The Mountains of the East are no less majestic. You hit a major nail on the head. The political issues that once divided these mountains between North and South no longer exist in reality, except in the imagination of uninformed, or deceived. That was one of the things I was struck with as I read the placard of the "Mathias Homestead" monument is that we are "One Nation under God.... " no longer a divided people Ideologically, or politically. Come North my friend you are more than welcome, and I am so looking forward to coming down your way this summer, and ride the roads of the Carolina's, Tennessee .... ect. Cherhola Skyway, Moonshiners Run, Telico Planes ... Can't wait. There is a section of Northern PA I also want to ride this summer referred to at the Grand Canyon of the East.
    Same invite to you I gave KiteSurfer when you come North message me and I will hook you up with some the best riding routes that your bike will stop and thank You :lol3 :clap!

Hope Today Was A Good One
    Gene