3rd Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by _Magoo_, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
  2. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:

Josh, you persevered, you overcome and you succeeded. I am very happy. Now I'm going to pay for your entry to the Rubber Chicken Ride. But I get the shirt.

:deal

Anthony, you just completed your payment.
    Your transaction ID for this payment is: _____________________We'll send a confirmation email to ateam@flash.net. This transaction will appear on your statement as PayPal *NMOHVA.
  3. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    Tony, you dont have to do that. Im not out of the woods yet! I rode to ABQ today from Dixon and lost a bit of coolant from my reservoir. The drain hole is hit or miss after putting the whole engine back together. It runs like a beast, brtter than before. But is pissing iut coolant after new seals and gaskets even. We'll see what happens. I have a great story for ya when I see you Tony!
  4. Mecano

Mecano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, sounds like the only way of doing this ride is with an oversized fuel tank.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like having the large tank on my 450 for the range. I managed to get it really, really cheap from a friend who was trading his bike in and still had the original tank.
    I took it off one summer when I knew I would be mainly riding single track and didn't need the range. But I have left in on since.

I sometimes carry extra gas in ~28oz MSR bottles. I can stuff about 5 in various places. Others just carry a small 1 gallon jug strapped to the rear fender and empty it into the gas tank as soon as possible.
  6. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok the KTM is ready! The front forks have been rebuilt and re-valved. New chain and sprockets and a new Gen 2 Tubliss on the new D803 rear tire. Fresh oil and filters and the valves are good. Im ready :deal
  7. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a bladder or two from a box of wine to hold extra fuel, they're pretty tough to bust and are usually 1-1.5 gallons. If you get one of those net wrap bungee cords and some zip ties and duct tape I'm sure you can get creative and find a way to mount it, or get a tank bag or saddlebag(s) and put it in there.
  8. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    MSR camp stove fuel bottles, I carry a couple in my side bags just for that extra distance
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    :nod

Wolfman makes a nice pouch to hold one and strap to your bike/other luggage.

My TE310 had a 2.9 gallon tank, I forget how many 22oz MSR bottles I had on the Rubber Chicken Ride that year :D
  10. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
    I was there. Quite the turn out. The Grants mayor had it right. First a travel management plan that closes roads. Then the FS says hey there's no roads through this 5000 acre area. We should close it to everything.

Ridiculous. People here are pissed. The FS hides behind regulations and no one wants the restrictions.
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Thus.......The Rubber Chicken.
  12. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hafta ask Joanne for the story of the Rubber Chicken when you see her. I looked through my archives but couldn't find the original.
  13. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    everybody is curious about the rubber chicken......:lol3

[​IMG]
  14. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :dunno

[​IMG]
  15. trailwerks

trailwerks Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So...by popular demand, here is the "Rubber Chicken Ride" explanation that appeared in NMOHVA's newsletter back in October of 2012 (just prior to the 1st Rubber Chicken Ride):<?xml:namespace prefix = "v" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>
    <v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="HEIGHT: 135.75pt; WIDTH: 131.25pt; POSITION: absolute; MARGIN-LEFT: 80.05pt; Z-INDEX: 251658240; MARGIN-TOP: 0px; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-top: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-bottom: 3.75pt; mso-position-horizontal: right; mso-position-horizontal-relative: text; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs074/1102336370752/img/170.jpg"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = "w" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>"Come join us on NMOHVA's first "Rubber Chicken Ride" in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. This is a Dual Sport Motorcycle fundraiser for legal action to keep roads and trails open FOR EVERYONE on our lands managed by the Forest Service.
    <!-- --><o:p></o:p>
    What the heck is a "Rubber Chicken Ride"? The Forest Service keeps trying to serve us a "rubber chicken" via their Travel Management decision. But we are a lot smarter than we used to be. Simply put, they can't fool us anymore! We now know the TRUTH and it is high time that the FS faces the CONSEQUENCES. All of the donations from this ride will go toward legal action to challenge the Forest Service's Travel Management environmental documents and decisions on the Santa Fe and Gila National Forests."<o:p></o:p>

The explanation is just as true, if not more so, than when we first published it. We are still actively challenging both the Santa Fe and Gila travel management decisions. We hope to see everyone there, both having fun and supporting a very worthy effort.
  16. Braaapckus

Braaapckus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In :rayof
  17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    In with the 525 too! :ricky

:freaky
  18. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paid and room reserved. I'll bring some of the good Coloradan beer. :D
  19. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    You got a truck big enough for lots of beer? :freaky
    It's a tough crowd......
  20. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    If I can get my KLR Jr. running again or find a suitable replacement bike, my company doesn't move me to Texas, and am actually allowed to take the days off I will come out and bring y'all as much beer as I can fit in my milk crate. :deal