NE PA Dirty ToR (NEPAD)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Mark5PA, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Mark5PA

Mark5PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had some good response, so maybe we will give this silly game a try. I think it will give the NE PA dualsporter an option of tags to go after, and being a relatively small area, a good tag if you don’t have time for a long haul, or if you need an excuse to find some new dirt roads.
    If this game languishes beyond page 4, I sill shoot it, and put it out of its misery.
    Here are the rules:
    1. Location
    * Your tag must be within a 40 mile radius of the intersection of business route 6 and route 29 in Tunkhannock. Being the “Benevolent Dictator”, I have chosen this. If there is enough whining & good reason, the epicenter & distance may be changed.
    * The tag MUST be on a road with a surface of dirt, gravel, mud, grass, rocks, or sand. Basically, anything except concrete and asphalt.
    * The road on which your tag resides MUST be a legal road for motorcycle use!!! Other than that, any road is okay: dirt, gravel, singletrack, water crossings, etc.
    * Churches may not be tagged on Saturdays. It is disrespectful to the congregation for bikers to show up Sunday Morning. Even good bikers.
    * Tags can be placed close to other tags, but please try not to make them the same as previous tags. The official list of tags may or may not be kept.
    2. Tag Photos
    * Building and landmarks are limited in this game. Don't expect us to recognize a single Oak tree because some woodpecker made a hole in it. Go for places that people will recognize. DO NOT make your clue too obscure! This game IS about the ride to new dirt, NOT googling. GPS is ok, but not everybody has that fancy equipment (like me), so lat/long should NOT be the only clue.
    * Make your photographs count. If you pick a very recognizable landmark, it still won't do me a damn bit of good if you take it at 3 in the morning with no flash. It's okay to post 2 or 3 photographs if you think it is necessary for us to recognize the location.
    *Your bike & Cache must be in at least one of the photographs.
    *Indicate the location of the cache in at least one photograph (or a good description).

3. Gameplay
    *To play, go for a ride. Find the location tagged in the previous post. The new tag should be placed on the same tag ride, or at worst, within 8 hours. Post pix of both at the same time. If you are going to use the full 8 hours, be a bud, and post a pix of you and the Cashe having a beer.
    *By using a Cache, we are able to determine who arrived at the tag first. If you arrive at a tag and do not find the Cache, you have probably been "Bruced", meaning someone else got it first. Whoever gets the cache first gets to post the next tag. Takes the ” hurry home to post” out of the game.
    * File photos are generally not allowed.

* No cheating. Cheating means telling someone where the tag is, or making the tag so one certain person will get it.
    * If hints are given about the tag to players outside of this thread (For example, discussing in person, or through PM), the relevant information should also be posted in this thread to keep the game fair.
    * If a tag is on a road which is impassable due to closures or inclement weather (such as sheets of ice), the tag may be claimed with a photo of the closure sign or impasse. The location may be used at a later date for a new tag. Do not use this just because you don't want to take your GS through a puddle--the road must be officially closed or present a situation which would endanger the safety of any taggers.
    *Reasonable Effort: There are occasions when things just don't go as planned. If you go to a location, search for an honest 20 minutes for the cache, and can't find it, we'll give you the point. It's not worth spending hours searching for a cache which may have already been grabbed, or stolen by a local. Do make every effort to find it, and if you have the correct tag shot, and it is confirmed that you did not get bruced, you will get the point (assuming, of course, you also post a new tag). Please return to the spot (in daylight, perhaps) to grab the cache at a later date. This reasonable effort clause also applies to other situations: camera malfunctions, or circumstances beyond your control that prevent you from adhering strictly to the rules. (If you can't post a picture, drawings are acceptable, or REALLY good descriptions of the tag and cache locations.) Don't abuse this, but we all know that sometimes, stuff happens.
    * Penalties: If you break a rule, such as posting a tag on a paved road, grabbing a tag without posting a new one, or posting a tag on posted private property, you MUST buy the last 10 taggers a cold refreshing beverage, and me, if I’m not on the list.
    Keep this thread reasonably on topic. For chatting and arranging group rides, please use the Eastern PA Bullshit thread.
    * Twitchy may have Bob substitute for him if any NEPAD tagger has an knarley adventure that Twitch would like to go, outside the 40 mile area. Twitch should be replace as soon as possible.

THE MAP

<small>View </small>
    <small>NEPAD ToR in a larger map<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117700742304406612508.0004899c619b10f36ec49&ll=41.644183,-75.811157&spn=1.43673,2.334595&z=8&output=embed" width="425" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    <small>View NEPAD ToR in a larger map</small></small>

So here it is.
    Tag #1
    West of a town known for its Rattlesnake Roundup (going on this weekend!). If you arrive from 29s, go straight through town, make a left after the open grate bridge. From the 29n, make a right at the stop then left. 2.5 miles of winding hard top, then another 1 mile on good dirt. Tag is on the left.

Meet Twitchy.
    [​IMG]

See that tree above my bikes tail. (you'll know for sure)

[​IMG]

Twitchy will be at the base of that tree, facing the creek, under some leaves.
    [​IMG]

With a rock over him.
    [​IMG]

This is the view on the left looking west. Looks like the road Y's, but there is a gate to a residence.
    [​IMG]

Another view of the spot, main road.
    [​IMG]

If you continue out this road, will bring you out on rt 487, on the north side of Ricketts Glen SP. About 8 miles. If you go out, use caution. There are a couple turns that dead end (gates), and it easy to get lost.
    One of my favorite rides.
  2. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged

Oddometer:
    Knee Pad Tag?????? :eek1
  3. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer:
    Not far from me and I know exactly where that is....so here I sit without a dirt worthy motorcycle:kboom

Now I have to figure out how to pick up a cheap dual sport. I wish I had my KTM SXC back!
  4. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    I gotta get the new KTM 640 adv legal!!! time to get it dirty:clap
  5. Mark5PA

Mark5PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's time to get dirty. You could make it on any of you bikes Paul.
  6. Bocephous

Bocephous Unvaxxed Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    Hot frickin dam. I will join this game after my arm heals.
  7. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    I may have to grab this tomorrow morning...I know this road like the back of my hand....
  8. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    in otherwords he doesn't know where it is:poser
  9. dirtymartini

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  10. Mark5PA

Mark5PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't laugh! Denise stopped up Lake Carey after his Phili trip today. Said he couldn't find the road. My directions were a tad funky.

If you arrive from 29s, go straight through town, make a left after the open grate bridge. From the 29n, make a right at the stop then left. 2.5 miles of winding hard top, then another 1 mile on good dirt. Tag is on the left.

Should be 29 "from the south" & 29 "from the north". Sorry.
  11. Tony216!!!!

Tony216!!!! My wife's pet.

Oddometer:
    It's funny, I wanted to go get this tag today and couldn't figure out a single dirt road I could drop it on.
  12. Snowfreak

Snowfreak Long timer

Oddometer:
    City Sickers:dunno
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  13. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    I will go as soon as it gets dark......Hopefully Twitchy Glows in the Dark.
  14. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged

Oddometer:
    Bring a flashlight to shine on him. Wait, you're the photographer. :huh
  15. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

So a 40 mile radius. This map should be the area. Right? If so I am on my way to get twitchy.
  16. Mark5PA

Mark5PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the area. Have a good ride.
  17. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look what I found in the woods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Location N 41*24.162 W076*06.717

As per Mark's suggestion I followed the road out until I hit Rt 487 North of Ricketts Glen. Really awesome dirt road for big bikes. I did take one wrong turn and ended up on a driveway, I didn't know it was a driveway until I saw the hand written sign that said "Turn Around Now Asshole". :eek1 I could hear the Banjos playing back there.
  18. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mark, Thanks for putting together the game. This should be fun, my only complaint is the tagging area is too small. I know there are a lot of dirt roads in that area but, I am not that familiar with them. I don't mind riding out there to get the tag and discover new roads, to me that's the fun of the game. But as far as placing the tag I am more familiar with places a little south of your radius plus it would get more people involved.

Just my 2 cents but, it's your game.

Scott
  19. Mark5PA

Mark5PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good grab. I'm sure Twitch was happy to see 'someone'.

As for the radius, we will wait and see if more people on the outskirts start playing & requesting. How far south do you ride?
  20. ScottV

ScottV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to see as far south as rt 209 and maybe a little farther west. I'm sorry I didn't read the rules too closely and didn't realize there is a 8 hour turn around time limit, I promise it will be up tomorrow early afternoon. I'm still a noob at this dirt tag game.

Scott