Tall windshield for 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by jes126, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jes126

jes126 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" tall and need a taller windshield for my new 1190. I've narrowed it down to Parabellum and California Scientific. Does anyone have either of these on their 1190? The Parabellum looks like a traditional windshield - kind of bland. It is a little cheaper and has a nice trim edge where it arches over the headlight, whereas the Calif.Scientific has a more modern shape, mimicking the stock KTM windshield's shape, yet is considerably wider. I'm really just looking for the least amount of wind noise and buffeting. Anyone have a taller screen on their 1190 yet?
  2. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:

Read here...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967111&page=3
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just sent the Calsci in size large back. The problem with most of these products is the angle of the screen is perpendicular to the airstream and that wind ends up turbulent on the rider's side of the screen at about ear level. Very annoying to say the least. I believe you will do better cutting the screen down to the point that your head is in clean air flow but then your head/body is more exposed to elements. Good luck.
  4. jes126

jes126 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to the windshield info.
    If Madstad is developing one for our 1190, I think I'll wait for theirs. I have a Madstad system for my 08 Wee-Strom and my 08 KLR650 and feel that they are without a doubt the best system available. Their height and angle adjustability give you limitless options for getting complete wind protection. I'm not sure what they'll do with the 1190 since it is already adjustable, although limited compared to their system.
    Also, thanks for the evaluation on the calsci. If Madstad doesn't come through, maybe I'll try the Parabellum.
  5. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Givi also has one for the 1190. Looks similar to the Madstad set-up so it can be done.
  6. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check with Aeroflow, they do some very good stuff, bought 3 already2 for BMW and one for my 990 and the work a charm:freaky
  7. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Aeroflow is looking for an 1190 they can use for mock up. They are in the LA area (Atwood) someone give them a call because I like options.
  8. jes126

jes126 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your replies.
    I talked to Madstad on Friday and they first said it would be a couple of months before they release their product, but later he admitted that they need an 1190 to do their engineering. They said the local dealers don't have any they can loan them, so we won't see a Madstad system until they can get their hands on an 1190. I told them that if they were closer I'd give them mine, but they are in Florida and I'm in Pennsysvania. Anyone in Florida willing to loan them their 1190? Maybe a free or greatly discounted deal could be made. Anyway, after reading an article in Motorcycle Consumer Magazine I've decided to try a MRA X-Creen Variable Spoiler, available through Twisted Throttle. On Twisted Throttle's site they have an excellent youtube video on this shield. The magazine loves the product, so if I can get it shipped and installed this week I'll try it on a several hundred mile trip we have planned for next weekend. I'll give a review asap.
  9. jimmex

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the 10" /4" version of this spoiler thingy.
  10. ktmwes

ktmwes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Cal Sci medium is the one to get for now..... you can tune it somewhat by using different length spacers. for me a 1/4 shorter top and 1/4 longer bottom angled the shield just right for me. There is no doubt that more can be done with the aerodynamics and the appearance of the shield but I'm happy enough until that happens:evil
  11. dewaynehasty

dewaynehasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I received my puig touring screen from revzilla today. Cost was around $110 which is a nice price. First impression was "this thing is tall!"

I put the screen in the lower position but I'm still looking through the screen. I have 1 3/4 bar risers but the bars still didn't hit the screen on full lock.

I haven't done a test ride yet. When I do I'll come back for an update.

I'm thinking I might have to cut some of the top off of this screen....we shall see.

Update: I rode with it for 2 hours now. With the shield up or down the air flow goes nicely over the helmet. I'm 6'2 with 33" inseam. The only problem is half the time I'm looking through the shield. Since it is tinted it is really annoying. I'd recommend getting the clear shield.
  12. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    This is what I did with my 950's CalSci.
    Still running it thataway.....
  13. jimmex

Oddometer:
    Just installed and tested the 10" wide MRA spoiler thingy and it actually works. I'm somewhat incredulous. The thing is infinitely adjustable and on Std windscreen offers quiet relatively smooth airflow with the screen in both low and high positions. The engineering of this little thing is very impressive as well. Someone put a lot of thought and ingenuity into its mounting hardware so that it is adjustable and dead solid when you tighten the adjustment levers. Goodbye ringing ears.
  14. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    pics! :y0!
  15. georgian cliff

georgian cliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my Puig from Revzilla and installed it today - fit perfectly with the mounting kit provided for the bottom two bolts. Took it out in the rain and am very pleased with a sight line just over the top of windshield for normal riding (lowest setting) and had no wobble at 140 km per hour and rain. A great step up for long distance riding over the standard. So far - so good.
  16. vintagevp

vintagevp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I added the touratech windscreen extender and combined with no noise ear plugs it made a big difference in buffeting and buzz. I have the standard screen and the XD 4 and I was getting huge buzz. I have never experienced this on any other bike and it was making an otherwise great bike marginal over 70MPH. I am about 80% there but now I could see doing 300 mile days on pavement now. Arizona summers require a lot of slab miles to get to cool weather at least now I will be able to see when I get there.
  17. jimmex

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

MRA spoiler.
  18. JoeyZ

JoeyZ "I'de Like To Take That Ride Again" Might as Well

Oddometer:

Can you post a pic of that screen?
  19. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jimmex,

What screen do you have the MRA attached to?

What I'm thinking is buying the OEM standard screen since it's a tad bigger than the R version and then putting the MRA on top of that.

Has anyone tried this yet?
  20. jimmex

Oddometer:
    OEM screen.