Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #286
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
+1 for that good explanation. To your filthy air filter example I would add gasoline differences. The BMSK has to add 4% more fuel to ALL fueling calculations when a motorcycle is burning gasoline with 10% ethanol (compared to gasoline without ethanol). Mixture Adaptation is the technology that allows the BMSK and Motronic to "learn" about that 4% fuel that is needed.

It may help to consider the following flow for fueling calculations to see where the air temp is used, and how errors in that sensor get corrected (along with all other sources of error):

Open Loop fueling calculations go roughly like this, performed on a millisecond by millisecond basis:
1) Read RPM and TPS: Find a base fuel value interpolated from the four closest cells in the fuel table
2) Measure Engine Temperature: If not warmed-up, add a correction, otherwise skip this step
3) Measure Input Air Temperature: Apply a correction factor from a table
4) Measure Air Pressure: Apply a correction factor from a table
5) Measure Battery Voltage: Apply a correction factor from a table
6) Based on RPM/TPS: Apply (up to 3) Mixture Adaptation value learned previously during Closed Loop

During Closed Loop (engine is warm, O2 sensor is warm, throttle and RPM are steady), it goes through all those same steps, plus
1) Apply the most recent Lambda Control Factor (LCF) (short term fuel trim)
2) Read the O2 sensor and determine whether to increase or decrease the LCF
3) Determine whether to update any Mixture Adaptation value (long term fuel trim)
3) Go back to step 2 until a change event occurs (usually throttle movement or RPM change).

Hope this sheds some light on when air temperature is used and how errors in that sensor are corrected.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #287
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I've read this entire thread and I still don't know. I really wish these things worked.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #288
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Thanks Roger More Pieces To The Puzzle

Slowly my comprehension builds. Surely never to reach an understanding of how the BMSK and, the what, 3 ECUs on my bike actually function. But for me learning the "cause and effect" is my goal. I am content leaving the Magic in the boxes Just want the outcomes to meet my expectations.

Funny, forgotten memory, and most probably faulty, but "Lambda" was ringing a bell that I could not put my finger on...for me anyway, the sound of a Volvo motor's "Lambda fuel injection system" back in the day was very distinct.. If it was indeed a "Lambda Injection" .

Phil

Ps...Is there an adaption to fuel octane? Can it adapt in the course of burning one tank of a different octane ?

PPs...I have heard reference to re-setting the adaptives. If this would re-set to pre-BP values, would that re-establish the fuel effectiveness of the BP until it was again adapted to? Kind of wiping the slate clean and starting over.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #289
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Installed Boosterplug on my 2011, can so tell a difference at idle and through the low end... as stated before, actually shifts smoother! Seriously... great investment..... no popping on deceleration, so evidence of F/A ration change!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #290
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
I had them on all my BMW's . The greatest improvement was on an F800.It made a huge difference. The least on a 2012 RT. A noticeable but probably not worth the expense change on my 2010 GSA. There you go, the full Goldilocks range ;-) You get used to everything eventually but if you ride a lot in stop and go traffic and you just can't stand the snatchy throttle anymore, you should buy one.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #291
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I'm going to give it a try. I just bought one. I'll hook my Gunson up and get before and after readings. I'll see how the CO readings change after a few hundred miles. Maybe we can get some read data.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #292
Jerry Fletcher
2Up ADV Rider

Oddometer: 46
I installed a booster plug on my 2005 R12GS with Great results at first.... now its popping again on deceleration, and sluggish at throttle-up... Worked for a while about 3 tanks of gas.... Not worth the Money....

I'd say Roger is right....
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #293
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Fletcher View Post
I installed a booster plug on my 2005 R12GS with Great results at first.... now its popping again on deceleration, and sluggish at throttle-up... Worked for a while about 3 tanks of gas.... Not worth the Money....

I'd say Roger is right....

FYI- I had the same result with a 2010 and a 2011 camhead with a similar product!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #294
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
I don't know why I leave the subscription to this thread but I do. The thing improved the way my bike ran a bit and I liked that.

Here's a question though. Has anyone who had good results that went away reported the results of removing the device? It seems that if the bike "learned" it then when you took it off some minor mayhem might ensue. install=richen mixture, learn=lean mixture, remove=extra lean mixture until re-learn.

Just curious. I still like mine.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #295
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
That's exactly what happens.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #296
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
My experience on 2 bikes, was that when the spoofer was removed that the so called mayhem didn't start straight away. Beats me as to why, but maybe after 20mins with a rough erratic idle, easy to stall engine. Those symptoms fade away over the next 1/2 tank of fuel.