Towards Zacatecas on an Airhead

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ricard, Jul 4, 2014.

1. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Richard
    So sorry to hear about the mud mess.
    When I set my GPS for home I expected it to take me this way. I was not paying a lot of attention as I was going through Parral.......my GPS took me over to Jemmiez......by the time I realized where I was going I did not want to turn around and go back.
    However you did receive the generosity of the normal Mexican.....that is one of the things I love about Mexico.....the people are willing to help a stranger......I hope that does not change with all that is happening here......when people at work ask me if I am afraid of riding solo all the time, I share experiences like this with them......as long as people like this exist here we will be able to continue to ride solo!!
    Ride safe.
  2. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a band playing in the plaza on Friday night and a lot of bikers hanging out. The ones I spoke to were real friendly. A few harley riders, but mostly big yamaha v-twins and a few gold wings.
  3. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunday July 13

Autopista and lots of straight road, all paved, between Gomez Palacio and Zacatecas. Arrived before the rain started and in time to clean yesterdays mud off my boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent some time getting completely lost, as usual.

[​IMG]

View from the "Hotel Terrace."

[​IMG]

The green line was today

[​IMG]
  4. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Nice fotos, the portrait of the white hat guy is very well lit. How did you pull that off?
  6. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. He was sitting next to the door of the bar in the previous photos. He spoke to me at length when I looked in. I think he was explaining that it is a very old bar. The sign in front says 1895. As I was leaving I asked to photograph him.
  7. garthg

garthg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Nice post. Will be following. I have the same bike, with a lot less miles. I especially like the posting of the maps with the routes. There's a whole world of back-roads Mexico that I'm not familiar with at all, and I'm sure others will be interested in as well.

Did you need Mexican insurance? How and where did you arrange that?

How are hotel prices in Mexico? Food?

Buen Viaje!:1drink
  8. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi garthg

I bought insurance online through the "baja bound" website. The policy is through " Ace Seguros". I also bought "Med Jet" medical insurance. The temporary vehicle permit is also easy to do online using the links from the Baja Bound website.

Between Banamichi and Zacatecas most of the hotels, found in Sjoerd's book, were around 300 pesos. Hotel Arcos in Banamichi is a really nice hotel and was more expensive. In Creel "La Teoje de Adobe" hotel was 350 pesos including a large home made breakfast. This is a really pleasant place, simple and clean with friendly owners. I'm currently at a nice tourist hotel in Zacatecas and the price is 670 pesos. On the back roads and in small towns I was averaging around 700 pesos, or less, a day. In Zacatecas it is much more expensive. 12 to 13 pesos per USD at this time.
  9. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuesday July 15

Rode an hour north of Zacatecas to the pilgramidge church of Plateros. Site of a 16th century silver mine and a miracle working statue of Santo Nino de Atocha. Here the colonnade and part of an interior courtyard are covered with paintings depicting some misfortune and asking for help. In the painting the Nino de Atocha is usually hovering nearby. Lots of food stalls and milagro sellers surround the church. Sorry for all the photos but I find the images quite extraordinary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some lunch and music
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marked "church"
    [​IMG]
    ccmickelson likes this.
  10. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    great!

where else did you go?
  11. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went back to Zacatecas and watched the clouds pass so low it seemed like I could touch them.

[​IMG]

I went to a delicious diner with RW66.

[​IMG]

And that was enough for Tuesday.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  12. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    Nice one mate. Im enjoying your Ride report particularrily because I jump the pond form La Paz to Mazatlan tomorrow afternoon. Heading straight to Durango, then on to Zacateces for the next night. So your RR is like a very current preview for me. How long you in the area? I am headed to Tapacula for a couple of months.
  13. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR Ricard! I liked the last one too! This map is missing a lot of detail including the continuation of HW 23 north from Tehepuanes to south of Canutillo, which is an great curvy paved road and easily he best way to get from Parral to DGO. Save that one for the way back!

There is an epic route west over the Sierra from Fresnillo to Ruiz Nayarit. RW66 will give you all the info you need about it. Feel free to give me a shout if you pass through Durango. I will be here the until Friday and then gone most of next week.

Nice photos of the Santo Nino de Atocha (Plateros). It's a very interesting place and probably the second most important religious destination in Mexico after the Basilica de la Virgin de Guadalupe in DF. The mining Museum in Fresnillo is also a worthwhile visit.

Saludos
    SR
  14. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Eddywoodgo,
    It's almost time for me to leave Zacatecas and head north. Tomorrow, Thursday, I'll ride to Real de Catorce. I considered heading to Durango and on to Mazatlan. However, there is a big Triathlon event in Mazatlan this weekend and it sounds like it is going to be crazy crowded.
    Enjoy,
    -ricard
  15. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SR,

I wish I'd known about Hwy 23. I have the Auto Club, Guia Roja and Garmin maps and none of them agree. Unfortunately I will miss Durango this trip. I enjoyed it immensely last year and my detour to Gomez Palacio for the night was nothing special.

See you on the road,
    ricard
  16. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Eddywoodgo
    Give me a shout when you are in the area. If you are here on a Fri or Sat maybe we could ride together or meet for tacos somewhere.
    Ride safe
  17. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    Baja ferries inform me today that there is no ferry to Mazatlan until the 27th of July.
    So I am shipping out to Topolobampo to tomorrow. Have a great trip mate. I always enjoy crossing paths with a fellow ADV'er.
    Have a great trip.
  18. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wednesday July 16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos.
    If you could while your at the Hostel, could you tell Felipe, Andy and Cheryl(on the KTM 950) said hi.
    Thanks for bringing your story to share with us.
  20. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR. Thanks for posting the pix and commentary. I rode through that area long ago. Now I'm dreaming of returning. Got to do that again before I become too decrepit! But, how to sell that notion to the wife? She just doesn't understand.... :lol3