Brand new strom is just not working for me

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by firebrick, Jun 29, 2013.

1. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sold my 2005 ninja 250 to buy a new 2013 dl650a. While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. While its much smaller than some bikes Ive owned, gl1500, ultra classic, it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work. Why can't I love this bike when it does everything I want without any problems. Im thinking about going back to a Ural even after all the issues I had with them. Im even thinking about a tw200. Im trying to talk myself out of taking such a big monetary hit but I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
  2. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my blke is a CB250R. I hop on it for the back roads to the beach and leave the Miata in the garage. There is no substitute for lightness and handling when 100+mph speed is not an option.

Unless you like drag racing or promenading down the highway.
  3. THB

THB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an 09 DL650 a few years ago after lots of research. Very comfortable bike. Rented a 650 Ninja so that my son and I could take a day trip. Half way into the ride, I asked my son to swap bikes. Almost instanly, I got a little grin riding the Ninja. I sold the Wee a few weeks later. It just didn't scratch the itch. I feel your pain. Clean it up purdy, post it up on the Strom forums and be patient. You'll fetch a good price.
  4. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    They're great bikes but I had my 04 for all of 2000 miles before giving it to my dad to be his first bike.

They're reliable and mostly comfortable (my legs feel a little cramped after a couple of hours) but they have no soul, no charisma, and no pizzaz.

Maybe I should have tried a dl1000 but I don't think I'd like that better than what I ended up with.

If I were commuting in town a DRZ motard would be my weapon of choice and I have every intention of owning another DRZ someday. I think my next one will be an E model.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  5. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love my 2012 DL650. I do quite a bit of distance travel. If I wanted something fun to ride around close to home I would get a Ducati Monster. :tb That bike gives me wood. Or maybe a Triumph Scrambler.

Do whatever makes you happy. Al
  6. WRrioR

WRrioR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a versys, if you hadn't. Disliked my Strom for the same reasons you mentioned. Versys is like a motard built for traveling.
  7. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working for the fire department I needed a bike that I could carry all my gear if I got shipped to another station. The Ural did that easily. The strom does it pretty easy with those big side cases. The ninja 250 didn't do it very well. Maybe a tw200 with a huge rear rack would make me smile again. I didn't even ride to work today because I looked at the bike and said, eh, I'll drive.
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    It's like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord. Maybe even a V-6 model.
    It SHOULD be good, but it lacks what it needs to make you grin,....like a Mustang would :clap
  9. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely first world. :)
  10. veriest1

Oddometer:
    For sure.

I'm not a versys fan either. My Katoom is tarded so I'll stick with that for my hooliganism.

11. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto guzzi v7 or triumph scrambler! Or guzzi griso... forget the idea that you should like the bike and get one you can love...
    Sold an almost new kawasaki concours 14 because although capable it left me luke warm about it ...

Vivo
  12. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    We just picked up a '13 and have about 3000 kms on it in the month we've had it. Coming from a KTM 950/990 I was worried about the wow factor not being there. This bike is one of the most fun bikes I have had. The trick is to rev the shit out of it and ride it like you stole it. It will do 80% of what a KTM
    will do and 100% of what I want to do. I ride with the local Ducati club and have no problems keeping up with the fast group. I also starting using it to go to work. Cruising along is fun too and the gas mileage is 3 times what I am getting with my Xterra. All it needs is a decent sounding exhaust system and it will be perfect.
    :1drink
  13. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The engine comes from an SV650, that's regarded as a pretty fun bike (I once had one) so I don't quite follow, where all that 'dullness' comes from. Granted it's not as fast to turn as an SV - switching to street tyres will help, though - but it's got a nice powerband, and goes well enough on the curvier roads. Try an NC700, for me that is a dull engine, even though its otherwise a decent bike. Hits the limiter just when it gets going.

But sure, if it just does not do it for you, then probably better to get something else.
  14. mmonce

mmonce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it is the front appearance. Looks like a girl with a huge push-up bra that has no inventory.

I have heard others compare the Strom to a appliance, like a dishwasher. My Strom fits my commuting, a little offroad, tagging and small excursions perfect.
  15. firebrick

firebrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I havent complained about the motor not being enough for me, obviously since I pine once again for a ural or ninja 250. It may be that its too much since Im rarely on roads that you can go 50mph on my way to work. The slower bikes seemed to be more fun. If I was going on more long trips the strom would be better.
  16. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden your wee without the bags? I think those adventure bags are too big. If you like the bike without the bags, sell 'em and go with a tail trunk or bag to haul your gear.
  17. veriest1

Oddometer:
    My issue was lack of power and suspension.

I'm sure the sv650 runs hotter cams, high octane, has more agrressive geometry, and is lighter than an armored up weestrom.

In short as a sport bike it was to slow and as an adv bike it has a hard time even keeping up with the GSA's due to ground clearance.

18. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I think you need to get the new KTM 390 when it comes out. I understand where you're coming from. It's more fun riding a slow bike fast then riding a fast bike slow. :1drink
  19. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could try lowering it, but that does not seem to be your problem. If I were just commuting at speeds under 50 mph, I'd probably want a superMoto or perhaps a TU 250.
  20. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy at work owned a Strom for a while but just couldn't take to it either,now has a fully tricked XJR Yamaha that sounds like a motorcycle