The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Why but my 2014 S10 gets better gas milage than my old 2012. I'm sure I can do over 450kms on a tankfull with the newer bike. On the 2012 I could squeeze 400kms on a good day riding briskly. Yamaha did change the fueling and valve train. Might be one reason.
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this was one up at 70MPH, with lots of gear and panniers.

[​IMG]

Amazing what 10 mph does and flat country does OR my bike is a freak.
  3. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    do you know how to read:deal
  4. ZugBug

ZugBug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well thats helpful. You do realize I'm talking about a 2014 bike don't you. With changes right. Again has anyone put OEM heated grips on a base 2014 Tenere? A search of this site yielded nothing specific to my problem. Thanks in advance for a useful reply.
  5. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    it is eminently helpful. Your problem is you did not read the instructions and assumed you were sent the wrong grips in the first place. You now have the wrong grips.

If you lack the proper skills, including reading comprehension, take your bike to the dealer
  6. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain

Gotta agree with the guy who posted the question: don't be an asshole.
  7. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's all help each other. We're here for our common love of motorcycling.

Kumbaya motherfuckers!
  8. Tangai

Tangai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "it is eminently helpful. Your problem is you did not read the instructions and assumed you were sent the wrong grips in the first place. You now have the wrong grips.
    If you lack the proper skills, including reading comprehension, take your bike to the dealer"

Yeah, typical asshole answer. It only takes a little more effort to give a helpful response.

I've not install the Yamaha heated grip kit, but I did install some aftermarket grips (BikeMaster, $45.00) on my 2012 which work very well. I had to move my throttle some as these grips are shorter than stock. The little prong on the inside of the throttle housing can be filed away, then you can place the throttle housing where you want it. As for the rest I can't tell you, but I hope what little I did tell you was helpful.
  9. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went the route of the grip liners made by Symtec. Inexpensive and work with any grip either stock or aftermarket. I've had them on my last three bikes including the S10. Never had a failure. I've got 40k miles on the kit I installed on my VFR. The switch will wear out before the heating elements I think.
  10. Tangai

Tangai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to apologize to everyone for criticizing the way someone answered a question. I should have just given as good an answer as I could and left it at that.

It does pay to shop around, as SparkyMcGee said. I found the BikeMaster heated grips for $44.99 (free shipping) on Amazon. Super easy to install, work well and have a nice push-button 5-way switch. They are a little short, which is just what I wanted and I love the texture, or grip deign, of them.

It’s great to be able to work on our own bikes and part of what this forum is about is helping other riders do that.

2006 KTM 950A, KTM 530XC-W Six Days, 2012 Super Ténéré
  11. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Extended clutch/brake lines...anyone need them?

I have a set of RideOnADV extended clutch/brake lines for risers in the classifieds. In 12 hours they were buried 8 pages deep so I figured I'd throw it out here.

ac
  12. ZugBug

ZugBug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks guys for the helpful replies to my questions. By way of explanation I ordered the grips through my local dealer and when I went to pick them up they said "Two grips in a box that don't look right". It's not what I expected either. The picture on the website showed a whole kit. It turned out they had a kit in stock with a different part#. I never really got to read the directions with the two grips. But it did get me to thinking hey maybe it is just plug and play with the the switchgear on the bike. The throttle housing on the bike reenforced that thought. That is why I thought I'd ask you fine folks. Did you ever notice that the first to reply to a question is so often some keyboard commando? Thanks again:clap
  13. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lets try this again...I am buying a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere non ES (so I can put a HD rear shock for 2upriding) and want to have the same grip heaters that the ES comes standard with. Couple people have said it is possible. My question is has anyone done it and if so what part # do I buy and how do I get the instrument panel to recognize the grips so I can control them. If it has not been done yet how do we know that it is even possible.
    Definitely do not want the various aftermarket grip heaters as they all look kludgy to me.

Can anyone help?
  14. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I believe that scoobynut on the YST forum has installed the Yamaha heated grips on his non ES 2014. It uses the new instrument panel to control them, just as the ES does. I don't know if he is on this forum, but you might inquire over there.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is interesting, but wouldn't it be just as easy to use heated gloves? :scratch

Oh, and another noob to S10 question.
    I was told that this bike has a "different" battery in it and a regular battery tender cannot be used.
    The world will end or something....

Is it a Li-po battery or something? And where do I buy one of these super duper chargers at?
  16. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
    The location is "different", but the battery (OEM anyway) isn't anything special. Mine's had a tender dongle hanging off it for several thousand miles now. :1drink
  17. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can use heated gloves, if you remembered to bring them and don't mind the hassle of putting on bulky gloves and associated wiring whenever you think it might be cold. Did you pack them with you on a multi day trip? Many find that heated grips are very handy, as the yare always there at the touch of a button. it doesn't have to be freezing to use them. You may find that it doesn't feel very cool while sitting in the garage, but when you start riding with your normal gloves, you realize that it is cooler than you thought. It is nice to be able to turn on the heated grips, even if it is on low, to take the chill off. Heated gloves are fine and many folks find them comfortable in very cold temps, but many find that the convenience of heated grips, which are always available, provide comfort in a large range of temps.

As for the battery, a battery tender is fine, it is a normal battery.
  18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know on the battery tender.
    On the grips, it just seems to me that it was a bit of a PITA to get them to work with the Yamaha switchgear, and it may be easier to just install the wiring to plug in heated gloves/jacket.
  19. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it may not be any more of a PITA to plug the new grips into their associated connector than it is to install the wiring for heated gloves, plus once you do that, you are done.
  20. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    that's exactly what I told you. I also told you the original grips you had were correct for the 2014. Had you read the instructions before posting you would have been fine. Your welcome