Q for our Cousins across the pond and N Europe

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cagouillard, Oct 13, 2014.

1. cagouillard

cagouillard n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all - it is a crappy, misty, not really cold but not warm day in Central NC - reminds me of many days in Germany a former Soldier. I remember people commuting in just about any weather there - if you wait for a clear sunny day to ride - well you wont be riding much.

Here is the question - those of you who commute or are bike only for your mode of transportation - what do you do to remain safe, stay at least marginally comfortable and continue every day to work etc.

My thoughts are -

1. man up - it isn't going to be pretty all the time, get used to being less than perfectly comfortable.
    2. Spend the money on good gear and if you have the money - have a second set of gear so you have one drying while you get wet with the other
    3. Use a Dry sack for the clothes you need at work (I'm an office geek with computer hands).
    4. Clean and prep your visor regularly with anti fog goo - or get a pinlock - whatever you need/works for you.
    5. Clean and lube the important parts of your bike like the manufacturer says to do... and the usual chex - tire/tyre pressure, wear etc.. (Tcloc.....)

My main question to you is - what do you add to be able to see in the dark with a fogged/rain covered visor?

Wiping only goes so far even with the thumb squeegee gloves....:rolleyes

What can you add to this and what do you do - please let us know

Thanks in advance - Cag
  2. Meromorph

Meromorph Expat Brit in TN.

Oddometer:
    Rain[Coat].
    Follow the instructions exactly.
  3. Buliwyf

Buliwyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe your lid is different, but I never wipe my face shield with my glove. That only makes things worse.

Rain-X and a fog insert. (Pinlock) The HJC RPHA10 can be fully closed but unlatched and that lets tons of air in to prevent fogging.
  4. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good gear, heated grips, and a positive attitude.
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think it's an old Norwegian adage? "There is no such thing as poor weather, only poor clothing."
  6. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you think only those across the pond have these issues....

Good gear/rain gear.

Heated grips are nice as well as electric (Gerbings) gear when it gets colder.

I use a good plastic polish (i.e. Plexus) on my visor and turn my head sideways to get the wind to clear the water off.
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Frankfurt in the early 70's, it got too cold to ride for quite a while. Overnights of -20C and back then cold weather gear was bulky gear.
    I didn't work far enough away from home - 5/6 miles - to make all the effort of getting rigged up a better option than just walking out to the tram and by the time I got to the terminus I was awake enough to do the next 10 minutes on foot. Everyone wore thick longjohns anyway.
    Much beyond 50 miles could get painful, so I kept it to that.

Commuting in UK for 10 years, every working day was fairly ok. We have much more rain and far less cold most years.
    First off, you get a guzzi with the SP fairing, they will fit most Toni frames.
    I started out using a tawlermans pvc suit. They are completely waterproof. The bottoms were replaced by Rukka pvc salopets which had a modicum of lining. I wore chemical worker knee length rubber boots, steel under, over and round a pair of norwegian rag wool socks kept me warm of foot for the 20 or so miles in deepest winter. Up top if it was more wet then the trawler mans jacket, if more dry cold then the Barbour came out as it had a lining. By now fleece had been invented so I wore one of those underneath. A head over sort of neck doughnut scarf thing to stop draughts and my open face helmet. This was eventually replaced by a Shoei full face.
    I found leaving early was the best way to keep the visor clean, no traffic to splash all over you. Wearing an open face behind the Guzzi screen, you learnt to duck. With the full face you just get complacent, if you go faster, the shit blows off.
    Hands where taken care of by the fairing, bar mitts and my "winter gloves" of which I had several. In heavy rain, Rukka made some great over mitts which fitted almost to the elbow and these also worked well if I got stuck in rain in summer with miles to do. I also had some over boot slip ons, again by Rukka.
    As you can see, NOT really a fashion victim, I just like being not too uncomfortable. Winter tours of Ireland, one of the few countries much wetter than UK, especially in the beautiful west, are unpleasant when sopping.

Bike prep is as you said, particularly tyres. Germany now has laws which make winter/snow tyres mandatory November to March. You can get them even for scooters. Probably more likely to see use on a scooter than an R1 or Fireblade.

Having a Guzzi, you are always aware of the potential for electrical problems, although the only glitsch I ever had was with the German made alternator. All electrial connectors were filled with silicone grease, all contacts had an annual check, clean and seal. Handlebar switches were changed to japanese.

I was supposed to be "smart" at work during the above period. Being one of natures slobs, clean and reasonably unwierd had to do. I mostly got away with it. I managed to be the only guy without a tie for 20yrs.
    Mostly, I just slipped off layers as necessary and put on proper shoes. I think they gave up disheartened.
    The pony tail helped, it always looked the same to me anyway, just got greyer.
  8. tjv

tjv wannabe

Oddometer:
    It is actually only mandatory if there is snow/ice.

Last year we had actually only 2 weeks of real winter with proper snow and -20c degrees.
  9. travelR6

travelR6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i can't help you on the gear part as i'm not seriously commuting with my bikes, but let me tell you that maintenaince will rise if you do a lot of rain/winter riding (salt on the road). keep an eye on linkages, bearings in general, brake calipers, chain, tires (pressure, wear)...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
  10. carlosthejackal

carlosthejackal Gentleman traveller

Oddometer:
    I commute all year round on my bike (about 12k a year). I ride in pretty much all weather. I do however sometimes admit defeat and commandeer the family car. If its very frosty where I live on the coast my experience of the are is that where work 40 miles inland will be much worse, that's one of those occasions. Snow is the other one, the only time I've fallen off in the last ten years has been when I was caught in what the met office referred to as a "wintry shower" 2inches of snow impaired the VFRs grip and down we went!

Half decent kit is a good idea. I'm wearin Hein Gericke kit at the moment which is about eight years old, fairly waterproof and feels safe. It isn't however ver hygienic now!
  11. Kiba

Kiba Dances With Huskies

Oddometer:
    I ride year round, and have no car. Here in Houston we don't get snow and ice, but rain showers can be intense and you can be left cold and wet if unprepared.

I'm still dealing with the rain issue- need some rain pants for real storms- but I've done fine nonetheless. Been to work a couple of times with soaked pants and boots, then rednecked it with plastic bags the next day to prevent it happening again. But I came out okay.

The actual act of riding in the rain or inclement weather has never been a problem. I'm more comfortable actually riding in bad weather than driving, all things being equal- no blind spots to speak of, high visibility, lots of control over my vehicle.

I will say that I like a big dual sport for any inclement weather though. High visibility levels both for me and others, no need to worry about anything mechanical failing or being abused since this is part of what these bikes were designed to do, and it's very easy to recover if you kick the tail out in a corner (which I do often enough in the rain). They also eat up bumps and big water puddles without even flinching, which I consider important for keeping your concentration on the road around you, not whether your bike can handle a bump or puddle.

Insulation is key for me when it's cold. I rode around in the 20s here last winter for my shipping job and drove a 25mph golf cart around to deliver packages all day, and kept perfectly warm in a basic textile jacket, jeans and waterproof boots.
  12. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the answer. Rain-X is amazing. Plenty of skeptics out there, but it works, and well. Use it on my visor, and on my cage windshield. Rarely have to turn the wipers on in the cage even in a downpour, as long as I'm going 10mph or faster.

Pinlock I still don't have, but want. I keep the visor cracked if it's fogging up a lot, and when winter sets in, I wear a balaclava under my helmet. Keeps my noggin warm and also helps cut down on breath-fog.

Most important thing about riding in the cold is to go easy on the tires until they're warmed up -- which may never happen on a truly cold day.
  13. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem riding in the rain, some of my gear is waterproof, but it's a pain in the arse to put it on just because it might rain - I'm not going to stop somewhere and stagger around on one foot putting it on. Pledge sorts the visor out. I am in fog country, and I don't like that. It's cold and wet, reduces visability seeing and being seen, and my visor doesnt fog up but mists on the outside, needing constant wiping.

Cold stops me riding, we get down to -3C at times. I need better gear.
  14. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    German office geek with computer hands here too.

- waterproof gear, however regularly my leather jeans get wet, but it's ok if it isn't tooo much water; only one set of gear, in general it's dry enough in the next morning
    - I wear said leather jeans all the day as well as the shoes
    - maintenance to the bike is done by the mechanic every 12.000km
    - If the visor grows damp, I open it.

Heated grips and for the snowy/icy days an ATV as well with heated grips, heated seat and a heated waistcoat to complete the set. Good fairing helps as well.
  15. cagouillard

cagouillard n00b

Oddometer:
    I apologize if that seems off kilter - I meant and mean no offense.... I am under the impression that they tend to ride their bikes more than SOME, and I repeat SOME, of the Americans with their Garage queens - I have a buddy that has ridden his 4 times in 2014.....it is now winterized in NC....... :huh

Let the flaming begin if that does exist.....if it does, then no flames allowed

I'm looking for those that either commute everyday 'cause they have to or choose to....
  16. ruin

ruin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are, I know a few as well. I'm sure they exist in other countries too though. ;)

I don't commute (work from home), but I ride just about every day anyway, year round. The colder it gets the warmer I dress, it's that simple. In the dead if winter I wear a fleece under my jacket, maybe a base layer too, and I have warm riding gloves. This will be my first winter with heated grips though!
  17. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    About says it all.

For me it has seldom been commuting to work, but more riding while at work in all weather for several years in the UK and as well as at home in NZ. Also general getting around away from work. I have owned a motorcycle throughout my adult life (60 now), but have only occasionally owned a car.

I have never had much motorcycle specific gear. I dress more for the conditions than the ride (or the fall!). Much of my cold and wet weather clothing came from farm, outdoor, or work wear suppliers.

Go for layers of wool for warmth, even if a little moisture seeps in. Synthetics may be cheaper, but they are good for only a narrow range of temperature, and stink in no time at all. Cotton provides only a little insulation when dry, and practically none once it gets clammy from seepage or sweat.

On the farm (such as on Exmoor, mid winter in the morning, when checking cattle on the couple of thousand-acre common) I wore a woollen hat.

On the road, a silk balaclava under the helmet makes a huge difference. A kaffiyeh between the helmet and the jacket keeps the breeze and cold at bay. I use one to cover my lower face. I have never been able to get along with full face helmets….. so misting is not a problem!

I prefer leather mittens to gloves; I got mine from a farm supply place. If it is very cold I wear lightweight woollen gloves under them. Mittens may seem a bit clumsy on the controls initially, but you soon get used to them.

Fleecy lined rigger boots and woollen socks take care of the feet.

I do have a leather jacket for the road. A lightweight waterproof over the top of that breaks the wind and makes a big difference. Likewise a pair of padded, waterproof over trousers.

Electric gear? I wouldn't rely on it…. fine when it is working, but failure could leave you dangerously exposed.

One more thing, moderate your speed.

The faster you go, the more wind chill factor you have to deal with. Roll along at an easy 50 mph and you can last the distance. Up your speed to 70 or 80 or more, and you will soon become cold and tired.
  18. hitmanh

hitmanh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beeswax based furniture polish for the outside of the visor, pinlock on the inside.

Heavy duty waterproof workmans over trousers for when it's wet and matching jacket for when it's really wet, last for years, comes in fetching shade of dayglo yellow :rofl

Heavy duty workman type wellies have proven far more waterproof than any motorcycle boot I've tried, and still have pretty fair protection for your feet. Wool socks for warmth.

For the cold, mits rather than gloves, silk liners for gloves and helmet, heated grips for when it's seriously bitter in the wind chill. Fleece jacket, long johns, plus layers for the rest. I tend to buy my winter jacket a size larger than reqiured so I can comfortably fit a fleece and a few layers underneath.

Weather is largely a state of mind. Get yourself comfortably clothed and enjoy the ride.