Spanking the Cow- The continuing saga of an R100GSPD at the Races

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    yeah, no high beam. I broke the switch some time ago, and just nutted the wires together, so I've been on permanent high beam for a while now :D

Currently I literally unplug one light or two from the back depending on the state of charge of the battery. Need some waterproof switches. ;D
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's some more GS giant pics
  3. Stagehand

Oddometer:
  4. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    Seriously man, this is one of the best threads in Old School. A peak into the life a modern old school racer. I have got to get in on this.
  5. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I know right? Stage is a terribly influence.
  6. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...this is just too good, belongs on the ADV splash page.

[​IMG]

Pretty good one of our boy here though...

[​IMG]
  7. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Damn man you already are in on this :lol3

[​IMG]

But thank you :D Thats a very nice thing to say

Yeah we have to get your bike up and racing.

Ah hell, I'm no modern day racer I was 36 before I ever competed on a bike, and racer is really giving it too much credence. I'm a participator, so for, but not a fast one... I did get lucky a few times, but you're not going to win anything unless you put yourself in a position to win something, and all that takes is signing up and showing up. Thats all I do, and then theres the ride my little heart out part. :D
  8. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Thats all I do, and then theres the ride my little heart out part.

Your heart, is bigger than that.....:clap
  9. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Hey sorry I was all distracted today :D WHen you gonna finish that bar? :ear:lol3
  10. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Ok- well, I just got to Snowshoe and am at the house. Seems like we've got the mountain to ourselves, haha..

As usual it was every minute hilarity getting here, although the drive was the least eventful thing about it.

Finding all kinds of burnt up wires under the dashboard while putting in new headlights two night before leaving for the rally kinda stuff, it was fun! :rofl

Geez, about ten other things happened, too I gotta go get some food.

Here was the ART rig, with my new swank single rail trailer :deal giddyup

[​IMG]

Tinight i have to put ont he windshield and the number plates, and oh, kinda make sure it actually runs. :augie
  11. massio

massio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled upon this thread. Sorry about being so late to the party.

I've got a '90 GSPD, too. Bought it new just out of college, rode it cross country, messengered on it, ran from the cops once or thrice, wheelied through 3 driveshafts (even looped my new girlfriend (now old wife) off it after grabbing one too many gears), raced it in Baja, toured 2-up to Alaska, parked it for a little while and recently resurrected it as an almost daily driver. Good for another few hundred thousand miles, I hope. Certainly can't ever sell it.

Anyhow, you make me feel like I've gone too easy on it. Well done. :beer
  12. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Thank you sir, sounds like a good time was had by all :D

We are two stages into it, folks. total of nine bikes, it looks like one bike is out as of stage two.

I think the last two stages are 13 and a half miles or so, I ran 16 minutes and change for both of them,
    Stages three and four are running in the dark, in just a few minutes. THey are simply stage one and two run in reverse.

Bike is working, so far so good. Speedo is completely shot, so am using GPS. GoPro camera is taking a shit, and isnt going to finish the rally :sad

Oh, yeah, ran stage two with no rear brake. No idea why, but the wingnut loosened up, and all it took to fix was turning it on a bunch of clicks. Was still faster than stage one by a few seconds :wink
  13. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't need no stinking brakes, you fargin' arshole!!!!!

Looking good, man!!!! I really like that all your shit breaks while you're running a rally!!!! You need to start testing stuff so you can get it for free!:D

14. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jason, you put the Adventure into Rallies...much more interesting :deal

Carry on and kick some ass.

Russ
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    thanks guys... BACk in for the night. SOrt of :D Did the last two stages in 18 mins. Not too bad. The HID's were working pretty well. Both of them lit up, and I did a little creative hammering to get them aimed right.
    HAving only low beams, no matter how bright, is just as bad as crappy light.

Anyway- That guy who was out on stage two? Its Crankshaft. He got his bike back to life again, (KTM690) and started out on stage 3 with the intention of finishing the stage and going home, but apparently he only made it 6 miles in. SO now we are going to go get him. Its a twenty mile transit to the stage start, and then we still have to wait for the last cars to take off... its friggin midnight right now.

MAn the things you do for your riding buddies :D

THere's almost no cell service up here, hence very few photos.

First bike out is at 1015AM tomorrow. With Crank out of it, and DAve taking a pretty good off course excursion on stage two which cost him at least ten minutes, I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I think I am currently sitting first place. :eek1 wtf! It cant last. If Dave's bike holds together, he'll probably make that ten minutes up on me in four stages tomorrow.

But IF I can do them in 16 minutes again... I might have a chance at at least doing pretty well!

Lets not hold our breath :lol3
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Go get em Jason!!!!!
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
  18. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    3 plus minute lead! Keep it up!:clap:clap:clap
  19. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Awesome brother...love watching this.
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Yep. I did it. Won the overall at RWV. :clap Go figure :lol3 That old girl can sure move out when you ask her. I discovered the throttle has a WFO position, today. Hung out there briefly. Didnt know that was there, before.

I dunno whats up.. .DAve Jansen usually kicks my ass squarely. He had a get off on stage two that cost lots of minutes, and is essentially what won me the race, apart form Cranks DNF... BUT our stage times were pretty similar, actually, so either he's getting slower or I'm getting faster.

2011 shall live in Infamy :D