Baja Highway 5 Puertecitos and beyond pavement updates...

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by clarkkent14, Dec 7, 2010.

1. clarkkent14

clarkkent14 The Midnight Writer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a recent update? I've noticed google will give directions now in the baja.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'm curious too if more blacktop has been laid since last winter?
  3. clarkkent14

Oddometer:
    I'm going again in May... anybody have an update? Pics? Anything will be greatly appreciated!
  4. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    As of yesterday, still, the pavement on Mex 5 ends 14 miles north of Gonzaga. I did not see any signs of construction nor equipment, so it looks like the project is on hold for at least a while.
  5. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Just got word from some friends that live in Gonzaga that road construction has started again, FWIW. I thinks its going to go pretty fast as they are in the flats and IIRC there are not any more bridges to build.
  6. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow, i figured they'd be done with that by now.
  7. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    and election year!! that will put a lot of people back to work! Got to spend the budget! and got to impress voters!!

Damasovi
  8. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Ah, that explains a lot. They seem to stop and start construction on that road randomly. Probably planning to link up to Mex 1 right before the election. :lol3
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I know this can't be correct as I personally marked it as N30 01' 40" way bacl on 12/29/09.

I believe the location format is screwed-up as I don't know how you can have 71 seconds.

Bruce
  10. clarkkent14

Oddometer:
    I'll be going down Thursday May 4th, and I'll be heading down to Gonzaga Bay for sure. I'll post some pics and GPS locations too. Any requests? I haven't been for two years, so I'm really excited!!! :clap

wish my dang bike wouldn't have gotten stolen last year :(, oh well life goes on! Baja here we come :D
  11. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    was just there last week. Seems like the final grading process was just north of Gonzaga Bay. Pavement ended maybe 10 miles north of Gonzaga Bay? Something like that.

What's with the random "sidewalks" they pour next to the road and the cliff? Not sure the purpose of a sidewalk if it keeps being interrupted by the rock walls. Oh well.
  12. clarkkent14

Oddometer:
    How is the dirt road the last 10 miles? I seem to remember it wasn't too bad the last bit. They seem to have paved the worst parts. I'll be in a small car so I hope to make Gonzaga Bay.
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:

Aside from a couple of rocky vados, you shouldnt have any issues if you go slow. Since they are in the process of paving the quality of the road where they have not yet graded has deteriorated somewhat wth more large rocks and ruts, but if you go slow, pick your line, and be careful, a small car should be able to make it if the ground clearance isnt too low.
  14. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    yeah it's fine for a small car. maybe washboard a bit and rock here and there but very car friendly
  15. clarkkent14

Oddometer:
    That's good news and bad news. It's nice to have a smoother drive, faster time, yet at the same time, the old road is gone, the adventure of getting there is different now. I guess we'll have to blaze new trails and new adventures further into the baja! Hopefully I can make it to Coco's this year, although we'll have to be careful I'm sure :1drink
  16. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    I cringe thinking of all the trucks from Mexicali shortcutting the route to Baja Sur. Imagine all the "jake" braking going on at the Pemex.

"Bad roads bring good people and good roads bring bad people".

Guess the new quiet spot just got much further south.
  17. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it has been planned as a Toll Road (like TJ to Ensenada). There are huge development plans afoot for that section of coast. Whether or not anything actually happens is up for discussion. But pretty certain a toll road will be part of the plan with or without development.

Coco "wilard" is gonna love that new road! Guess the races won't be going by his place anymore.
  18. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't believe nothing!!! it is election year so there is a ride to moon for the winner!!! After 2013 we will see what develops but for the time being no toll road is there, I am not saying it is not possible, but it is what it is.

I like the paid road, and also will miss the unpaid one (that I was never on)

Damasovi
  19. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    +1 In addition they would still have to level out numerous deep vados that would high center quite a few big rigs from SF to Puertecitos.

A toll road, or even a big rig friendly road will eventually happen, but is still quite a few years off IMO.

You should hear Coco talk about the road. It will go about 4km west of his place. I've never heard him curse so much. :lol3
  20. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the road?