Hi-viz gear for the long term?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GravelRider, Feb 15, 2013.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered an Aerostich Darien jacket/pants set. The ones they sent me were a 'test set' so to speak. I now know what sizes I need and I will be returning the ones they sent me and ordering my actual set on Monday. I'm debating between getting Hi-viz or just the gray color for the jacket. I currently wear a hi-viz vest, and would continue to do so if I get the gray color jacket. The only thing holding me back from getting the hi-viz Darien jacket is worries about long term color fading. With a vest I can easily (and cheaply) replace it every year or so with a nice unfaded hi viz vest. However, the vest is a pain because it blocks pockets and is an extra piece of gear I have to put on.

With this in mind, I'm wondering how your hi-viz gear has withstood the test of time. Has it faded into a yellowish kinda hi-viz jacket, or is it still bright (assuming you wash it once in awhile)?
  2. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am wearing a 12 year old Roadcrafter Hi-Viz it is still yellow. Not as bright as a new one, but decent except for the stains.
  3. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    Hose it down with 303 every couple of years and any fading will be imperceptible.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered the newer, brighter hi-viz Darien. It faded. Then Aerostich recalled that color in 2008 and replaced all their hi-viz jackets and pants under warranty with the tried-and-true-but-not-quite-so-bright hi-viz.

I wash it once every winter without fail. It usually goes into the wash pretty dirty, since I ride without windshields.

This winter I sent it to Aerostich for their washing service and it's brighter than it's been in years.

Their hi-viz doesn't have fading problems like their red does. I might have only 50,000 miles on this one and I can't see fading as a problem.
  5. la's

la's Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any ideas on what to do to keep hi-viz helmets from fading? Don't say stop riding, because that is not going to happen.

Another vote for the 303 on the textiles.
  6. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Keep the helmet indoors.

That's one of the main reasons helmet manufacturers don't like to produce them. They fade. That's a fact. It's going to happen. Period. And when it does, in spite of the repeated warnings and research that they've seen and testimonials from others owners whose helmets have faded and the manufacturers themselves, buyers are always outraged when it happens to them.

If you're worried about a hi-viz helmet fading, don't get one.
  7. la's

la's Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not worried about fading. I just want to know whether there is any polish or other frequent use product that might dial down the uv that hits it. If not, I'll just spray it with some neon paint that won't interfere with the integrity of the helmet when the time comes and toss it at the 5 year mark.

O.k. Got it. Although I ran out of 303 fabric protectant, I also have the 303 aerospace protectant that says on the bottle that you can use it on motorcycle helmets. I'll be giving this a try.
  8. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    The are ups and downs to having a hit viz jacket vs. a darker jacket and a high viz vest.

In 2007 I bought a high viz jacket and I'd do it again. That said it looks like hell. Not so much faded but it's dirty.
    Great for street cred but no so much when you mingle among non riders.

Despite the negatives I'd still get the high viz jacket.

Another option is either the blue or the tan Darien light
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I have a high Viz Tourmaster and a bright red Darien. Love em both. I can fit more warm clothes under the Darien and it's better in cold nasty rain.

After I launder my red Darien, I spray it with Scotchguard to perhaps reduce some fading. It helps with the stain repelling.

I think I am also radar proof now too :evil.
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Hi-Viz tends to get a little grubby looking under conditions of hard use, but the color has been tested for years in emergency and fire-fighting gear. The fact is, even when dirty, it's still highly visible.

The Nikwax products are very good for cleaning and restoring water repellency.

I used to wear black gear, until I had one too many close calls where a cager "just didn't see me." Now, I dress like a Hi-Liter. Red gear is as poor for visibility as black under many conditions.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    were all flocked if the cager is color blind :evil
  12. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I commute daily. Hi-Viz suit and helmet work for me. . .. :clap

[​IMG]
  13. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

For the most part, they're not even looking, anyway.
  14. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering the hi-viz Darien jacket with gray pants.
  15. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    My Darien suit is "pavement camouflage-gray." I compensate with a hi viz helmet and/or a hi viz mesh vest. I think my helmet has faded a bit in the past three years, but it is still quite bright and conspicuous. It's a Scorpion.
  16. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    I just wear a hi-viz vest over my riding gear. Cost about $50 and it last quite a while. If it wears out, I'll get another and not worry about the color of the rest of my riding gear.