2013 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross series

Discussion in 'Racing' started by nachtflug, Apr 11, 2013.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    It was a great day of racing, saw Flug multiple times on the "other" side of the fence. Now that he is famous he won't talk to us normal folks:D, I am sure he will have some great shots as usual!

The VIP pass was well worth it, it was more crowded than I had seen in years so viewing was tougher than normal. Entry,Pit pass, $30 Tshirt, Swag, Catered lunch under the tent that actually was really good food, TV in the tent so you could see recaps of the race, shuttle from pits to tent,Drinks, "VIP" bathrooms with running water! (I don't even have that at home) all included.

To see how these guys ride a track that I have raced on for years( I am in no way comparing my self to these guys) and the speeds they go is just mind boggling. To see Villapoto and Dungey and Tomac doing it on a whole different level is worth the price of admission, when you stand on the fence and they pass a few feet in front of you,you can see there intensity in there eyes. Words can not describe it, it has to be seen.

The sound of these bikes is another thing, the 250f's are on the rev limiter the whole time. It is amazing that more don't blow up!

I am racing there Aug 8-9 and will try to be replicating the intensity and line choice of Mr. Dungey but I know that besides 2 wheels and a motor thats where the similarity ends.

It is sad that an era has ended, I have attended Nationals at Southwick of and on for the last 40 years. The good news is that there were signs up by the American Legion saying the track will remain open for local races and in talking to the locals and some of the police on duty everyone seemed to be saying that it woul still be there.

:cry So like my mis spent youth we say goodbye to an era :cry:cry

Now flug get some pics up!
    I am going to take my fish oil and glucosamine pills and go riding!
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    my agent won't allow it. :D

man 2 saturdays in a row out in that sun I can't imagine how the riders feel but some of those little demons aren't even old enough to drink.

Chad Reed got lapped. :huh

292 Adam Ciancurolo hauls ass he could be the future dominant rider.

Gary Bailey is working with Cooper Webb.

The poor girls, as soon as their last moto started the sky's opened up. What few spectators were left must have bailed. I stayed till 7. No traffic then!

Matt Hammer missed again, when kids that fast can't make the main you know it's competitive.

As you said, it's mind boggling. The whole event start to finish, it reallly is a well oiled machine. The Rockstar bikes were basically broken down into a pile of parts after the race. I'm sure they all do it. Those sand tires were cool. It will be hot next week at Red Bud. :eek1

Post race Dungey said he likes Swick for among other things close to the airport, I'm assuming Bradley. I saw RV and Aldon Baker getting into their rental Malibu and leaving, no doubt to an airport. The post race break down and exodus from the pits is a sight. How do some of these teams justify an army of support people and all the logistics for one/two riders? A friend was in europe last week and he said and they've got Monster energy all over the place, they must be one fat cash machine. Wow.

I took a few pics, :D I also was chatting with Simon Cudby in the press tent and saw some of his pics on his laptop. $6000 lens here I come. :wink:
  3. ThereisnoSpoon

ThereisnoSpoon High Enough

Oddometer:
    Look at Bubba checking out the 20 bike!

[​IMG]

What's the deal with his boots? They look like Nike's.

I don't have a good camera so I had to get up close to take a picture. I was practically standing in the first turn, but just outside of it so I didn't get run over.

[​IMG]

Holy shit those guys are fast!
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
  5. nachtflug

Oddometer:
  6. nachtflug

Oddometer:
  7. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I had some phone pics but they basically suck except this one....

[​IMG]

VIP swag....
  8. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't write this national off so fast. I was privileged to over hear (eavesdrop) conversations about the continuation of the Southwick national. There seems to be several groups looking at promoting this event, at this location, for years to come.
    The Legion post is a charity driven organization, and would most likely rather have a continuing long term income rather than a possible quick buck by selling the sanction date. The local racing should continue as usual.

That said it was a great day at the races. Even with the tough spectating , it's still outdoor racing (REAL MX) at it's best. The outdoor tracks are starting to just become outdoor SX, with as much air time as dirt time. I wasn't the only one commenting on the fact that the track wasn't as ruff and tuff as it was in the past. Even last year you could see the riders out of the top ten slowing dramatically in the last half of the race.

Brett Metcalfe was a standout to me. Good starts and really agressive in the turns.
  9. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
  10. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    RV, Facebook junkie.

Simon Cudby. Photo junkie.

[​IMG]
  11. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    the power of Facebook...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:

Ya, talk about companies going over the top. Nike has been make'n moto boots for him, and I think RD for a few years now. They (Nike) say they have no interest in selling or mass producing the boots. I guess its just for fun.
  13. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    That shot is shirt worthy. Can't make out the number. Who is it?
  14. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    thats actually me I snuck in a few laps on a borrowed bike.
  15. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

You may want to grab a rake and go walk the track, you lost your GoPro.
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Glad you got that steering with the clutch thing figured out!
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    yes but I'm only good for about 3 laps then it's right back to stomp and grind as in "clutch, who needs a clutch"..
  18. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:

That is my daughters friend, local guy, Travis Sewell.