used tiger 955i

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by rda, May 28, 2013.

1. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi,

i'm looking to get my first adventure bike and have found a 2003 tiger 955i. it has 21000 miles on it. Owner says he has used it off road quite a bit. It has a taller windshield, wolf pipe, factory paniers, gps and mount, tank bag. He is wanting $4000.

First, does it sound worth it? What should i look for on these bikes when buying used?
  2. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Sounds like its worth it you may want to try and get him down a little. But its certainly in the park. A quick internet search shows 03's in the 3800-4250.00 ball park depending on miles/condition/farkles.
    Not certain on the '03 but my '05 hasn't really had any issues. Take it for a spin and see how she runs out.

I have not regretted purchasing mine one bit. They are great machines for the $.

Just check the standard stuff you would on any bike. Oh and the fuel gauge is a "known" issue, they often fail. Mine has been broken for 4-5 years now. No biggie I just use the trip meter to gauge when to fuel up.
  3. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up my first adventure bike about five weeks ago. It was a '05 Tiger with 50k, had off road use and no extras except the matching side panniers. He was asking $3600 and after two weeks on Craigslist (and me deciding I would look at it and get it if possible), we settled on $3200. It needed a back tire and had a new front tire.

I would say try to get him down a little, but the price is not bad. Does it need anything? Does it have a service history? (mine did).

They are great bikes and I really enjoy mine. I've spent way too much on gear as I was starting over and had to purchase everything again (helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants and for the wife as well). I added a top box, taller front windscreen, lowered pegs and new back tire. Have a 1500 mile solo trip next month :lol3

Will keep it until it explodes:huh
  4. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty big heavy bike if it's for your first time to head offroad.
  5. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man.... I wish there were prices like that up here North of the border. I've been seriously contemplating doing the swap of my 900ie Monster for an '01 - 05' Tiger (just for a change). There's only 3 out there I see for sale in Ontario and they are asking $4500 (no farkles at all) , $6000 and $7000 (both with bags, top case and guards). Mileage on each between 60K - 70K kms. Damn
  6. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been racing enduro and hare scramble for about 20 years so definitely not my first time off road. If anything, im not that road experienced. I will use my ktm 300 if i want to ride off road very much. This bike will mainly be road and occasional gravel or fire road. I mainly want the adventure style bike for the look and sitting up higher in traffic, potholes, etc. Plus, it would have the off road option if i do see an opportunity while out riding.
  7. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2005 Tiger on Friday at a dealership, it has high miles (78,000) but engine was rebuilt at 55k. Out the door for a tick under $3400. It's in clean shape considering the miles and has a few nice extras like a Corbin seat and Wilbers shock.
  8. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep big, heavy, and particularly top heavy....but I love mine and for the kind of riding you are describing it works great, especially on potholed roads which are very common where I live and the reason I bought a supermoto and then the Tiger. They can be a handful due to the top heaviness so Tiger 955's are best for people with long legs...my inseam is 34" and I still usually wear thick soled boots when I ride it so I can flatfoot it when stopped...paid $4700 for my 2006 (1050 cases, mag wheels, bags included) w/ 25K last year
  9. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got it for 3800. bike feels pretty good, i'm 6'4" so the top heavy and tallness of the bike don't bother me.

It does have a stutter when goosing it from low idle if your in to high a gear. guy said it started after putting aftermarket exhaust on and i need to get it remapped. Anyone know how easy it is to get the software and cable?
  10. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    Try this:
    Start the bike, don't touch the throttle, let it run for 12 minutes, shut it off! Reset!
  12. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    will the procedure you describe set the ecu to work with the new exhaust?
  13. Fe Man

Fe Man I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer:
    Can't hurt but you'll probably need a re-tune.
  14. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Put the offroad tune in it. Dont look back. This will make your tiget roar.

Studder is in the. They all do it category.
  15. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    offroad tune?
  16. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    Any Triumph dealer can load the offroad tune on your ECU. My dealer loaded it on my '06 for free after I put on the factory offroad exhaust. Makes a noticable difference in the performance.
  17. soupamoto

soupamoto Singletrack Jedi

Oddometer:
    I just sold my 02, was asking $4500. Mint condition, only a bit of gravel road otherwise all street, never down, factory bags, off road pipe (yes, get the factory "Off road pipe" tune from the dealer with any aftermarket pipe).

I have a couple items left to sell, a very good condition Corbin seat and a set of factory wheels, complete with 3 rotors and sprocket, and usable tires. PM and we can discuss price as I haven't decided what to ask yet.
  18. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 12 minute tune only works w/ Kehin ecu's and the 955 has a Sagem...but I bought the amazon cable and used tuneecu successfully on my bike, had a few glitches but sorted them out with the help of google....fwiw my bike is stock, had the off road tune loaded and it runs better now that I put it back to stock but the off road map will probably make your bike run better. The various Triumph OEM maps are available free on the web and can be modified with tune ecu if you wish....though that can be risky if you don't know what you are doing
  19. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Would love to see the tiger, so post some pics.
  20. rda

rda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    not sure how to post pics