Help: St. George to Grand Canyon routes.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by BultacoBullet, Mar 19, 2014.

1. BultacoBullet

BultacoBullet n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone please help me and my son with suggested routes from St. George to the Grand Canyon?

We need the best route to take for bikes, and the best route for a chase truck and trailer. The riders are former or current AMA Pro MXers. One will be riding a CRF450X Baja pre-runner, the other on a KTM 300 XC. Both will have 4-5 ga. fuel tanks. The chase truck is a 4X4 Ford van w/ a single axle 10' Army trailer.

I'd like to know suggested way points where we could meet the bikes, gas availability, legal requirements, easiest route for chase truck, etc. I'm sorry for the short notice, but the original lead rider had a sudden change of plans.

If any of you are interested in joining us, please contact ASAP. We should be in St. George late Friday (3/14). Chris and his friend will ride the Toqueville (sp?) Trail (near Hurricane, Ut.) on Sat. morning (3/15), then ride on to the Grand Canyon Sat. afternoon. We will meet and camp Sat. night, then return to St. George Sun. We want to leave St. George on Sun. by 6:00 PM. We live in Apple Valley, Ca.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you,
    Bob

Bob Ridgway....bobridgway@att.net. (714) 209-6558
    Chris Ridgway....chrisridgway181@yahoo.com (714) 402-0129
  2. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Stop at the BLM office (345 East Riverside Saint George) for maps and road conditions.

The ride to Toroweap is an easy one with only a few hazards. The roads are graded with a few loose rock sections. Once you pass the Ranger's Residence there are a couple of deep silt beds. Big rocks hide under the silt. You can exit via Colorado - City Hilldale which is a bit shorter (60 Miles).

There is no gas or water available (last I was there).

One of my most favored places :clap
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Confused. You posted today, March 20 and say you "will" be riding Mar 14, 15. Assume this is simple confusion.

I haven't ridden the easy route from St. George to Toroweap. I think all but the last few miles is sedan friendly.

Last May we took a slightly challenging ride thru Nutter Twists and over Lime Kiln pass to Mesquite. this May we are planning to do the general trip in reverse via Elbow Canyon out of Mesquite.

One good place to meet up if you take different routes would be the Mt. Trumball Schoolhouse.
  4. BultacoBullet

BultacoBullet n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the mixup. The actual dates are 3/22-3/23, IOW, this Sat. and Sun. Thank you for your help.
  5. ElleDubs

ElleDubs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. BultacoBullet

BultacoBullet n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your post. We just found out that the bikes need to be plated for the Az. part of the ride. Therefore, we've decided to ride near (and stay in) Hurricane.

If you know of any interesting trails in this area, please advise. BTW, we live close to Johnson Valley (25 miles away), and Chris knows many of the trails there. Should any of you need help with directions or, gasp, retrieval, give us a call.

Thanks again.