The Daily Dose - '08 990 buildup.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by hilslamer, May 8, 2008.

1. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Feet are sensitive things. I kinda always knew that - girls really like foot massages, good-fitting work boots are a workingman's best tool, and you'd never take a long hike in brand new shoes. But nothing ever opened my eyes to how many nerve endings are in a person's feet more than getting a bunion fixed on my left foot:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the biggest mistake was having the KTM HardParts catalog, a credit card, and internet access at home to peruse while I gobbled up painkillers and iced my mended appendage...more on that later...but I've had some injuries, bone and soft tissue - and this one takes the cake for pushing the pain threshold. I was a grumpy bastard for the first ~5 days, and not much better for the following week. I'm lucky my girlfriend is a very patient person...

Fast forward to 5 weeks ahead: the doctor gives me permission to lose the infernal, stinky airboot that I've been hobbling around in, and I wander out to the garage to get a group shot of some of the goodies that I ordered in a Percocet-induced stupor:
    [​IMG]

What to do with all of this stuff? It seems like it's all for a KTM 990 Adventure...so I guess the next logical step would be to go get one of those, since they don't exactly come mailorder. Having pawned my "old" '07 990 and all of its acutrements to Johnny_5(my caretaker during this ordeal) while my foot was out of comission, I headed to Bernies Cyle Service for KTM's latest and greatest to do it all over again. Hmmmmmm...I think I'll take...:

[​IMG]

...this one!:
    [​IMG]

Take care of some paperwork:
    [​IMG]

...have the mechanics give it the final once over:
    [​IMG]

...haul it home on the trailer, and get a picture, because it will never be this new or the same again:
    [​IMG]

So , with exactly o miles on the clock, I set about tearing into it with Loctite, antisieze and dielectric grease in hand to be sure it wouldn't rattle appart. I also installed all of the accessories in the process, and this thread will chronicle each install with copious photography and explanations. I'll try to do them every other day, but I can't promise that some riding or racing won't put it off a day or two.

EDIT: Similar to the Team Double Barrel race report thread, I've composed a list of the items that will go on the bike, that will probably change as more is on the way. Here is the list(look for it to evolve...) in no particular order:Subscribe and enjoy!
  2. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I'm partial to the black ones myself :nod

:lurk
  3. Dirt Vader

Dirt Vader 44444444444444444

Oddometer:
    i would be willing to make the necesary sacrifice to break it in for you:evil
  4. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...Black, Black is starting to look like the new Orange! Nice, thanks for thinking of us and taking us along.:thumb

:lurk
  5. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    This thread needs some theme music ala Extreme Makeover Flanny Addition. :D
  6. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Very nice.:tb Can't wait to see more. Good luck w/ a fast recovery and enjoyable buildup.:ricky
  7. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    Cant wait...

Im orange, but as said black is becoming the new orange!
  8. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Black is the best color, but short boingers and ABS??? :confused
  9. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    ABS is a Choice and Long Boingers are overrated.
  10. mysterio

mysterio Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Sydney: Black tracks and concrete canyons
    An '07 to an '08...So, you buy a new one when the tyres wear out?:huh
  11. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :rofl

CRACK!!!!!! first hit's free...right Ganshert? :deal
  12. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Oh yes... this is what I've been waiting for. Bring it on

.:jive
  13. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    Preach on, brutha BAGSTR! Do I hear an AaaahhhMEN?!?!?!
  14. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    sadly, yes:nod

now my daughter gets one less semester of college :deal

maybe she can go to cosmetology school
  15. RXV_Poor

RXV_Poor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the build. Are you going to put wider pegs on it? I got a set and they work really well:wink:.
  16. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    is Jason still at Bernie's?? good folks down there.

congrats Tim. :thumb
  17. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    The original thread is now updated with a list of the goodies, that I'll link to each individual "dose" post as the thread evolves.

That said, lets get going! For the first install, we'll break out the ProMotoBillet rear rack. It's a very easy bolt-on, with only 4 bolts required and easy access. After removing the stock "rack,"
    [​IMG]

...which is really just a stamped plate that doesn't hold much beyond the KTM tailbag, you can see how much bigger the PMB one is:
    [​IMG]

...withoutu being cumbersome dangerous to the rider in a crash, etc. There are NO sharp edges anywhere, on either side, and it actually makes a good place for a passenger to brace themselves with during acceleration or braking, too.

It includes 4 longer bolts, and these spacers:
    [​IMG]

..that fit nicely in the place of the stock plate and countersunk capscrew heads:
    [​IMG]

The shorter spacers go in the rear, and this spaces the rack so that it sits more horizontal than the stock one:
    [​IMG]

For the stainless-steel bolts that are included, I use anti-sieze on the threads as they are large enough to be really torqued down to prevent vibration loosening, but they are also stainless - prone to galling. Besides, in this case, there's a good chance I'll be taking them back off soon to install other stuff. Zip them down with the cordless impact, finish torque by hand, and the finished part fits really nice, and looks even better IMO:
    [​IMG]

The curved portion that wraps nicely around the seat means the seat comes off as easy as with the stock rack, but you end up with enough area to lay a backpack flat on and tie down without worrying about the heat from the exhaust melting anything. Since this rack sits up higher and flatter than the stocker, it makes routing a strap underneath it or through it much easier for larger hands, too.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm all about functionality - and this rack fits the bill perfectly. (the non-functional sticker went on after the rack was installed...:D)
  18. hilslamer

Oddometer:
    Up next is somethign I consider MANDATORY after the last ride with LesPrice - scroll there untill you find the part about his kickstand mount ripping the centercases wide open....

Top fo the list tonight: the BlackDog Cycle Works skid plate. The thing is built like a tank, without the weight:
    [​IMG]

...and the paint scheme leaves nothing to be desired bolted on the "dark" version of the 990 Adventure.

Removing the stock skid plate (which is an assembly of plastic and cast aluminum...) is as simple as zipping four flange-head and shouldered specialty bolts with 10mm hex heads:
    [​IMG]

...the above photo is of the aft bolts.

After dropping the stock skidplate, you have to remove the rubber grommets:
    [​IMG]

...that isolate it from vibration and keep resonance and vibration noise to a minimum:
    [​IMG]

...and they swap directly into the slots on the Black Dog skid plate:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, it appeared during disassembly that the KTM assembly folks had sampled a little too much vino the night before, and one of the aft bolts was crossthreaded:
    [​IMG]

...so a M8 x 1.25 threadchasing operation was launched:
    [​IMG]

Simple enough. The finished product is show-worthy, and VERY functional to boot - FULL clutch cover protection as well as full underside protection:
    [​IMG]

As you can see from above, it provides wrap-around protection and includes a sweet little guard/deflector to prevent the known-vulnerability of the centercase-mounted kickstand from being snatched by an errant rock or edge during bottoming and aggressive riding:
    [​IMG]

This thing is literally bulletproof. If there was one criticism that you could give it, it's that aside from the Black Dog sticker, it blends in almost too well. It is a quality item to be sure - and a permanent resident on this new 990!
  19. dsherod

dsherod El Siocho

Oddometer:
    I can see this is going to be a favorite thread.

Nice work on the close-ups. A good example of photo-illustration.
  20. hANNAbONE

hANNAbONE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ??????...is that a pink teddybear on the back of that couch laying face down...??????

hmmmm...we need to talk...you didn't do anything....well, can I put it this way -- no, no, wait....hmmmm

Oh, Never mind - I'll just check out YouTube :rofl :lol3

nice pic's and a very hip skid plate BTW..!